Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Allen

Yesterday I went to Juan's house (Ex Employee who bought my business) and had dinner and BS etc. We talked a good bit about our market compared to counties both North and South of our area. Our mutual conclusion was we are in a good (not Great) Market area. Now part of our conclusion comes from the longtime presents in the area. We have established customer base of Upscale retirees who come from a time when home up keep was important. The other side of the coin was the lack of any real competition. Oh we have tons of the grandma's Crapsman mower guys. But our customer have been there and done that and don't want any part of it. BTW he doesn't have a Pesticide license and we network. So we have many of the same customers.

Spraying is a little different in fl because the strict entry laws keep the riff raff out but maintenance in our area for residentials ia a joke for the most part. Every week I see five new home owner model zero turns and new trailer line trimmer going down the road pulled with a suv. Juan is smart because he has branched out to boca grande which is more like the east coast or north or south of us like you mentioned

I have few Medium size that I certainly enjoy. BUT most of my accounts are the everyday Water Front Properties with well under 5K in turf. To gain or lose one of even several of these type of account won't cause a missed Lunch like a the bigger account could. I know a LS member who doesn't post a lot but has only one Huge Account. I am really glad I don't have that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Let me ask you this Diamond - How much of your time is this one property going to require? The reason I ask if it require say one 8 to 10 hour a day - 1700*12= $20,400 assuming 36 property visits are in order which I am assuming on a estate willing to pay in that range would require/demand more, that would work out to $556.66 per visit. 556/8hr = $70 556/10 = $56.66hr . My point being that is a lot of eggs in one basket for that rate. Just a thought if you are required to have that amount of time frame per visit.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hate when it doesn't post. Basically I was just saying that spraying is a little different because the strict laws keep out the riff raff but resi maintenance in our area is a joke. Every week five new home owner level zero turns brand new tiny trailer and line trimmer being pulled behind an suv. Juan is smart to have focused a lot of his business in boca grande which is more like the east coast or like noth or south of our area like you mentioned. Anyone with only one account better get off their ass and sell some work. We all have our biggest account and thats the one that hurts the most when we lose it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Let me ask you this Diamond - How much of your time is this one property going to require? The reason I ask if it require say one 8 to 10 hour a day - 1700*12= $20,400 assuming 36 property visits are in order which I am assuming on a estate willing to pay in that range would require/demand more, that would work out to $556.66 per visit. 556/8hr = $70 556/10 = $56.66hr . My point being that is a lot of eggs in one basket for that rate. Just a thought if you are required to have that amount of time frame per visit.
Mike

This is a 2x/week property. But you have to remember that a lot of time spent is in the details like blowing leaves, pulling weeds here and there etc. 8-10 hours per visit is exorbitant for a place like this. I am thinking it will be 3-4 hours each visit. But remember again, almsot no turf and in the winter, the plants slow down in growth so again you are basically there to keep the place looking tidy.

Another point here is that these types of people know all the other richie riches. You make one happy and you have 10 more of these places. Plus, the $$ in extras is crazy. Mulch/flowers every year, re-do's, tons of tree work,etc.

I only have 20 accounts aside this one. 2 of those 20 are every week in the winter, but one is about 20 min in the off week and the other is about an hour or so in the off week. I have time to invest here and I will do so. You can't get accounts like this by knocking on doors or passing out flyers. You have to know someone. Again, this is the route I want my business to go. If I can get 9-12 more of these, I'm set.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Mike

This is a 2x/week property. But you have to remember that a lot of time spent is in the details like blowing leaves, pulling weeds here and there etc. 8-10 hours per visit is exorbitant for a place like this. I am thinking it will be 3-4 hours each visit. But remember again, almsot no turf and in the winter, the plants slow down in growth so again you are basically there to keep the place looking tidy.

Another point here is that these types of people know all the other richie riches. You make one happy and you have 10 more of these places. Plus, the $$ in extras is crazy. Mulch/flowers every year, re-do's, tons of tree work,etc.

I only have 20 accounts aside this one. 2 of those 20 are every week in the winter, but one is about 20 min in the off week and the other is about an hour or so in the off week. I have time to invest here and I will do so. You can't get accounts like this by knocking on doors or passing out flyers. You have to know someone. Again, this is the route I want my business to go. If I can get 9-12 more of these, I'm set.
Another point to make is these people don't let you go for $5 less. They have the money and are for the most part loyal. You take care of them, they take care of you. Most just want the job done right and don't want headaches. They pay you for this.

You can say I am putting all my eggs in one basket, but if I were to lose this account, I would be totally fine. I own all my equipment, truck, trailer,etc. and make enough from the rest of my accounts. Like I said, this is the route I want to go.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Another point to make is these people don't let you go for $5 less. They have the money and are for the most part loyal. You take care of them, they take care of you. Most just want the job done right and don't want headaches. They pay you for this.

You can say I am putting all my eggs in one basket, but if I were to lose this account, I would be totally fine. I own all my equipment, truck, trailer,etc. and make enough from the rest of my accounts. Like I said, this is the route I want to go.
Sound like you have a plan and your on your way to building the business you set out to build. God job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Sound like you have a plan and your on your way to building the business you set out to build. God job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fl

Thank you. Yes, before I started my business, I knew the model was going to be high-end residential. No commercial, HOA, mow blow and go. Just super high-end residential. That is why I went back to school for a Hort. degree and continue to take seminars and continue learning.

To me, there is no better feeling when you are working at a property that is picture perfect when you are done. It is an art form imo. I love it.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,

I agree, not really cryin, just some times miss the Sarasota market, particularly the keys. In some respects I enjoy the more laid back market I am in and after almost 20 years out here word of mouth is getting me all the work I want right now, not sure I want to go back to the employee thing again.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Hate when it doesn't post. Basically I was just saying that spraying is a little different because the strict laws keep out the riff raff but resi maintenance in our area is a joke. Every week five new home owner level zero turns brand new tiny trailer and line trimmer being pulled behind an suv. Juan is smart to have focused a lot of his business in boca grande which is more like the east coast or like noth or south of our area like you mentioned. Anyone with only one account better get off their ass and sell some work. We all have our biggest account and thats the one that hurts the most when we lose it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Brian

Juan worked hard for me and made me money so it is only natural he works harder for himself. I am proud that I trained him, but he is a natural businessman that has done better with the business than I did. Maybe that is because he didn't keep expanding into different areas of the Green industry like I did. The Nursery really took a lot of money and time to get started. Juan only has one account in Boca and I got him that the same as He got all or most of Grassy Point when he bought me out. He only services that account every other week but gets big money for as you expect. But Boca is not unlike Long Boat Key etc to our North. The richer the client the cheaper they are. The reason they are cheap is because everyone chases after their business thinking it is good. Rich are not only cheap but also slow pay. Thank you but I will take our up scale working class retirees over the Rich and famous any day. I think others have made the point about the Bottom Line and not the Top Line.

BTW Thank you for leveling out my back yard this morning. That Mini Skid steer is great, which brings me to my next point. You cry about about our market when in fact you have purchased All kinds of equipment and paid for it in the last year or two. As we talked this morning in a good economy we would both be swimming in money. But Look at the toys & equipment you and I have bought this last year or so. We are in a serious depression here in Florida with higher unemployment and foreclosures than the national average. Yet we are both holding our own and even increasing our our bottom line from last year.

The History of Gulf Coast Florida development in the 1950's was Upper Management retired in Sarasota. Middle management retired in Venice and Labor came to our area. Now Meyer Lansky of Mafia Fame started the West Coast Land development company and sold Florida land deals to Union Members. Check out Martin St behind Tire Kingdom with the 800 sq ft retirement homes of the Early 1950's. Yep build with Mafia money and sold for $ 4,500 brand new. Of course West Coast Land development became General Development company which was also raped by the Mafia and went Bankrupt. By the 1960's Upper management Found our area and larger homes were build.

We are still a small town and if you pull the demographic numbers they are not good. But those poor demographic number are what keep the big boys out and our market still good. You can complain about the Grandma's loser with the crapsman mower, but they are not yours or my competitions. We are professionals and stand above the loser yard boys who are looking for beer money.

Allen

You know something I don't about the Sarasota keys. To me they want too much service for the bucks they spend. I am not saying there aren't a few willing to pay, but most will beat up on you for $ 5.00 a month and celebrate at the Country Club with a $ 200 bottle of vine.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some great accounts, especially on Siesta, good pay and hardly ever saw them, they were always some where else. One guy was a newspaper owner from out west, usually would see him two weeks a year, sometimes would call me to let me know someone would be coming in to stay in the guest house.

Of course this is all ancient history from the 80's, I don't have a clue about the market today.