Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Holiday Lighting

Hello All,

I have been reading about the holiday lighting and all the information related to the subject here on the forum. I live in a town of about 15,000 +. I would say that we have a pretty rich community, and I was curious if you guys thought that the 1,500 to HBL would pay itself off? there is a lot of money in this town, and didn't know if the population would be enough to make some money? Thanks for your info guys.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Right now the HBL buy-in is only $500. I bought in last month. I haven't sold a single bulb yet, but feel I have already gotten my money's worth. After receiving the Designer and Estimator software, the catalogs, the training and the advice and support $500 is a steal. Mike also hooked me up with an insurance company to write a policy for about half of what I was being quoted locally.

I also spent a some time talking with a manager at Brite Ideas. He said some very concerning things about HBL. In the end I decided that for only $500, even if HBL went belly up tomorrow, I would still be ahead.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It would not surprise me that brite ideas disses HBL, and Christmas Decor disses HBL, etc. I know the owners of all 3 companies. They are all competing for people to commit to them and buy their product. we buy many items from other vendors, but HBL is our main supplier. I bought primarily from Brite Ideas up until 2004 or so, right around when HBL opened their doors.

My philosophy on buying from a vendor is pretty much common sense. I am always looking to buy the best product at the best price. I can be swayed to go with another vendor if the quality is better and the price is the same, or if the quality is the same and the price is lower. But I rarely will go for a lower quality item, no matter what the savings. My clients are no different, so I have to be vigilant about costs. HBL has worked for me for 7 years, and although what they charge for product has went up considerably, The quality is awesome, and everyone else has raised their prices as well. I keep an eye on other foiliage and lights, and for now, HBL is still a pretty good deal for what you get.

I also can say that HBL has stood behind their product pretty strong over the years, even when it was not their fault. I have received items that are broken during shipment, and they have replaced the item every time.

And although I do Christmas light consulting for Christmas light business owners, and have probably sent HBL at least a couple dozen members at this point, I receive no compensation from HBL whatsoever. I reccomend them because they do a great job.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Dave completely. When I flew to Omaha I actually stopped at Brite Ideas after the HBL training. To sum it up, especially when I had the linkable in my hand - similar to HBL light links, there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I was no w affiliated with the right company.

Also to touch on Dave mentioning the warranty, I had several LED sets just go bonkers last year. There were shipped to me overnight. No questions, no hesitation. I had them within 24 hours of them leaving the factory.

The HBL catalog is second to none. You will hear from them, you will get support even on Sunday. I called the first year as I was having an installation issue, figured I would get voice mail, Liz answered the phone, 30 seconds later I was on the phone with Mike, on a Sunday. I still am totally blown away by that.

I am very glad I went with HBL, and like Dave, I am also aligned with others. I use HBL product and only use the others if I have to.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see on their site that membership is 1500, but they have limited memberships for 500. What's the difference in the packages
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just did the 500 package..it was some sort of deal they were having..you get all the 1500 stuff ..from what I gathered..seemed like a no brainer and I went for it..another avenue to gain business from..so what should I look forward to using this company as a resource?..
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

how are there prices,
Old 09-17-2011, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a whole, I find that the HBL prices are better than ever other company I have dealt with. The colored mini lights are brilliant, the greenery is incredible, the solidity of the light links and lawn ornaments are second to none.

There are not any franchise fees, so you also save a ton there. I do not own a large company, I anticipate we will do about 25K or so again this year plus the rehangs, so all in all about 40K. Every year I see an increase. I am in the Albany NY area, and up until I brought it here, professional holiday lighting had never existed here, it was done a bit by a Christmas Decor guy up North of me. The NYC area is very big on it, but that is as close as it got. Now there is me here, and another company about 2 hours South of me. It has been difficult to get established, but none the less, it is moving forward and growing.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor