Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

with the amount of digging required to "pothole" the head it would be cheaper and quicker to just find the main line near the closest head, tee it off and run a new line. But capping and running the zone should give you an idea. I had one job I was brought in on, a client had his lawn regraded and the landscaper was suposed to raise the head. The head was never raised and was buried under under 9-12" of loam and sod. We capped the heads and ran it for about 45 minutes before we were confident on what section of sod to tear up, we narrowed it down to a 4-4' section and ripped out the grass. After that we were able to track down right were the head was.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Or just add another head. Chances are , when you do , you will find the old one.
Best answer awRd
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use the witching rods (two bent coat hangers) walk back and forth over the lawn and when the wires cross you should be over a water/electrical line, Do this marking each time with a flag and before you know it you will have a vague line across the lawn, then just search along that line and see if anything turns up.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks very much everyone. Im going to find it Monday after work. Ill post back what happened for anyone who needs a laugh.

The above post is very interesting. Has me wondering if its a joke lol
Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Don't think it is. I have one employee who is very good with the rods. I myself cannot find anything with them. But he has found pipes 4-5 times now for me.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is very interesting and just the sort of trick i was looking for. Ill have to google that later for more details. Thanks again guys.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks very much everyone. Im going to find it Monday after work. Ill post back what happened for anyone who needs a laugh.

Not a joke at all. I do it all the time. I have a pair of professionally made ones. I used to just use a bent welding rod in a piece of PVC pipe but the ones I have now work much better. They don't work for some people though. And they don't work in windy conditions.

Mine are similar to these. http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Ar...p/pro-1000.htm

Note that they have a thin ridge for the rod to ride out which reduces friction and makes them more repsonsive. You can get by with one of them, but 2 is preferred.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

cap the known heads, run zone enough to saturate the soil, induce air, look for bubbles. works well, i use this method or variations of it often.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Before I'd start digging, I'd take Mike Leary's suggestion of capping the other heads (at least some of them if not all) let it run a good while and then Sprinkuses suggestion of guess-timating the location based on the symetry of the design. you should find the wet spot, it'd beat hours of digging, it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yea when my boss first told me a couple years back i thought it was a joke, but when we were within like 6" when we dug the line up a was shocked.

Don't waste your money on fancy rods....the two coat hangers weren't a joke either, that's all I have ever used and they have always been accurate enough.