Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
JDiepstra JDiepstra is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
Yea when my boss first told me a couple years back i thought it was a joke, but when we were within like 6" when we dug the line up a was shocked.

Don't waste your money on fancy rods....the two coat hangers weren't a joke either, that's all I have ever used and they have always been accurate enough.
What did you use to hold the coat hangars?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
What did you use to hold the coat hangars?
his hands.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-18-2011, 08:36 AM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,935
SNIFF- SNIFF Smells like a bull with loose bowels...

Don't waste your time "witching", get a psychic instead if you are going to waste time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
JDiepstra JDiepstra is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
his hands.....
Haha i had a feeling it was that simple but i wondered if there would be too much friction between hand and hangar for it to move.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Haha i had a feeling it was that simple but i wondered if there would be too much friction between hand and hangar for it to move.
You can hold them loosely in your hand or drill out a 1 inch dowel and put the short end in there. Make sure there's no coating on the hanger, you want bare wire. Where I used to work our shop guy used welding rods with a PVC pipe handle but I don't recall exactly how the rod was mounted in the handle. I think he bend the bottom into a loop like an eye to keep it in the handle. We used them for locating underground storage tanks and piping and buried utilities.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,065
I use a OuiJa board....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
You can hold them loosely in your hand or drill out a 1 inch dowel and put the short end in there. Make sure there's no coating on the hanger, you want bare wire. Where I used to work our shop guy used welding rods with a PVC pipe handle but I don't recall exactly how the rod was mounted in the handle. I think he bend the bottom into a loop like an eye to keep it in the handle. We used them for locating underground storage tanks and piping and buried utilities.
darryl, dowsing rods can be made from anything, even pvc pipe.

one of my buddies calls them my voo-doo sticks.

i have one of the pollardwater sticks and keep a pair of brass rods in the trencher trailer, a pair on the excavator and a pair in the truck. these get a lot of use.

in a pinch i have used a couple of scrap 3/4 or 1 inch pvc 90's to dowse with, they'll work.

here is some interesting reading;

http://www.uiowa.edu/~osa/burials/Dowsing.pdf

http://www.turningthesolomonkey.com/?s=dowsing
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,935
I keep my dowsing rods on the shelf right next to my perpetual motion machine, my cold fusion reactor and my guide on How To Make Money Out of Nothing by Keyenes, and other stuff that doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I keep my dowsing rods on the shelf right next to my perpetual motion machine, my cold fusion reactor and my guide on How To Make Money Out of Nothing by Keyenes, and other stuff that doesn't work.
just ask buck_wheat to show you how to use them, you silly.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiTb7ubKug

I disagree with him though, the object you're locating doesn't need to have movement.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.09362 seconds with 7 queries