Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Huh? Every home here is a sweat tee in the basement. Never seen a compression tee for a tie in.
Upstream of the meter? I doubt it. I was commenting on my initial thought of nothing sweated outdoors, but of course, downstream of the meter, any leaks are on your dime.

a Waterworks Compression fitting is something on another plane, compared to anything sold in the irrigation biz. Besides their physical strength, they mechanically, with metal, grip the tubing/pipe they are connected to. Also, for the Ford and MacDonald tees, they also provide electrical continuity, in the event the pipe/tubing is serving as an electrical ground.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveslawncare View Post
It was because I had the service line max fps set to 5. I bumped it up to 9 as bcg suggested and it gave me 12 gpm like I should have.

I agree that the software is awesome for the price. As far as I'm concerned, it will meet my needs for a very long time. I can't believe I forgot about the EARN discount when I bought the 30 days for this system...

I'm the same way on drawings, as far as I'm concerned a design is a non-negotiable. I have no clue how other companies around here are doing systems, but this client said I was the only one who has said anything about doing a design. I have seen some CRAPPY systems put in the last few months, and when I ask the owner if they have a design they look at me with a blank stare. I do a design for everything, that way I can see potential problems before I break ground.

You lost me at having prices in the system...you mean you put supply prices into pcs?
Without going into too much detail, but it is the best part about PCS and drawing your jobs consistantly. Go to tools and drop down to equipment cost. Every sprinkler, valve, fitting, controller....you name it is in the equipment list with all the major brands.

This can get really confusing and it takes some time to get it right, so watch the video tutorials and use the help menu to its max. I basically had Ewing send a price list over with all of the items we purchased over the last year with updated prices. (I check prices every couple months) Take the time to enter all of your current pricing for ALL of the items you are installing including the per ft. price of pipe and wire. So when you place these on the design screen it will enter everything onto a material list. The material list will print out with all your parts needed for the job and the materials you need to send to the job.

Like I said, we have it down very close to the poly 90 and wire nut. PCS calls them "Tied Assemblies". Lets take a 5004 rotor, everytime you place a rotor, it will add a 1/2" poly 90, 3/4" poly 90, 2 ft. of poly pipe and a head tee. (atleast this is how we set ours up). You can set up the Tied Assembly however you want. A 1" PGA valve includes a valve box, male adapters, DBY, 90's and a tee.

Lets take a 1" backflow for a residential install. Our Tied Assembly goes like this:
1 - 1" 975 Wilikins Backflow
1 - 1" Wilkins Wye Strainer
1 - 1" Brass Nipple
2 - 1" PVC Unions
2 - 1" SxS PVC 90 (for the backflow)
4 - 1/8" flare fittings
1 - 1/2" blow down valve w nipple
1 - 1" Spears Ball Valve
1 - 1" head tee (blow out/drain)
1 - 1/2" plug (for the blow out tee)
1 - 10" round valve box (for the tap)
1 - Shark Bite compression tee (for the tap)
2 - 1" SxS PVC 90 (for at the tap)

I may have missed a couple small items, but I hope you get the idea. All of these items are priced in out equipments costs and added to the material list every time I place a 1" 975 on the design screen since I have these items attached to the backlfows Tied Assembly. Since we have priced ALL of these items in the equipment costs, they will be on you final estimate. You will be amazed how accurate it is and you may freek once you realize you total costs.

We have Tied Assemblies set up for every valve, controller (rain sensor, pigtail, pigtail fitting, conduit). Most bidders do not consider or even think of what all the items cost to install a backflow on a new install. Nothing is exact, you still have to add the other fittings used for the main and laterals, but you will be very close doing it this way.

It also allows you to add a labor rate for every part, but I have not found a way to really make that work. I know each of my crews costs per day with all of their taxes and comp included. I also add truck, fuel and equipment fees to each crew daily costs. Once you enter the Estimate / Materials section of PCS, it will ask you to enter the Taxes, Permit Fee's, Sub Contractor costs (if any), Direct Labor Costs, any mark ups on materials or labor and then to enter a profit margin percentage. You also can add a percentage to make up the unknown fittings per the pipe costs since you will have the quanity of pipe to the foot that you placed on the drawing.

Like I said, it is extremely detailed and will take some time to get all the data in. But once I draw a complete design, I do not doubt my final estimates. I question them at times only when I realize how low I was on previous jobs that were similiar.

Our profits are up significantly this year since I started using PCS back in January. We know we have a good number when we bid a job. I can defend my price to builders, landscapers and customers by reviewing the drawing and costs. It has been a game changer for us.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow all that sounds incredible. It also sounds like it will take forever to set up lol. This is my first full system install, but I can definitely see the advantages of having that set up when you are constantly doing estimates/installs. It's great to know that all that is available. It's actually incredible how affordable the software is when you realize how extensive and detailed it really is.

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveslawncare View Post
Wow all that sounds incredible. It also sounds like it will take forever to set up lol. This is my first full system install, but I can definitely see the advantages of having that set up when you are constantly doing estimates/installs. It's great to know that all that is available. It's actually incredible how affordable the software is when you realize how extensive and detailed it really is.
I basically took a couple of weekends when the weather was crappy. I needed some peace and quite from the day to day grind and was able to enter all of the date withi basically 2 days.

If you enter data slowly when you have extra time you will eventually have it all.

Good Luck
Old 09-18-2011, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey SPEEDSKI I sent you a PM. Also, where in TN are you?

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a city water supply , its also September so water use is down , therefore the pressure and flow that you have now may not be whats available in June or july . I have communities that will show 75 psi in the fall and spring but drop to 40 in the summer , systems designed and installed at the higher pressure and flow , they dont work well when needed the most . You can use all the computer programs you want , nothing beats experience , and experience comes with mistakes , and correcting mistakes adds to the experience . I trust the bucket and stopwatch , and the simple pressure guage , design the system to work correctly at 60 to 70 percent of whats available and you will be fine