Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

52 week pay contract

Could someone direct me as to where I could find a copy of a contract that is set up for clients to pay for service over a 52 week period... Or maybe you have one you would like to share.. Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

A valid contract is anything that two people agree to in writing and is witnessed by another individual as long as it does not violate the laws of the locality, county, state or federal.

The bulk of items that are in a contract are actually the agreed upon items if either party to the contract fails to honor their end of the bargain.

The best solution is to get your attorney to draw up a contract for you. You don't have an attorney? You need one. If you are in business and didn't go to law school, you should have an attorney to watch out for your business interests.

You do not want a boilerplate general agreement you can buy from Staples or Office Max. You want an agreement that will stand up in your local courts if you have to sue. In the bulk of cases it is not worth it to bring suit because the judgement is difficult to collect, expensive to enforce, and frankly a waste of your time. How long do you intend to chase the money? What was the cost of collection?

If you insist on the do-it-yourself route, I'd write a simple agreement spelling out what you will do in exchange for the money, the length of the term, and the payment terms. It needs to be signed by both parties and witnessed by someone.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my market......... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on getting any thing longer than a 7 month contract for grounds maint. It aint happening.
Its impossible to convince folks of why they should pay you in Jan and Feb when no work starts until March.
Same thing with them paying you in Nov and Dec and no work is being done.

Snow removal is billed as it happens so they understand getting a bill in Jan for that.

Feel your customers out and go with what they want to do.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a service agreement that is a yearly agreement. The services are totaled and divided into twelve monthly payments. It is similar to the budget billing that is offered by utility companies. It is a simple one page agreement, and can be cancelled by either party with thirty days notice. A contract does not need to be witnessed. For me the important thing about a contract is that it spells out in simple english what each party will get and what is to be done in the event of cancellation. I do receive payments during the winter months when no services are being provided. This arrangements works for my customers as there costs are budgeted over the year, and it works for me to provide revenue during the winter months.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Mark, that is what I am looking to do , just looking for a generic example so I know how to word things.