Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2011, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it feels like I just took my boots off.

The last two weeks I have been crazy busy with landscape jobs. I am happy about that, but at the same time, I feel like I'm back in Iraq. My alarm goes off and I get up. I swear my boots haven't even reached room temperature yet.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

to each their own but i got into this business to get away from that sorta thing...working 8-12 hours a day at an auto factory is where i came from lol....you are your own boss....you don't have to accept everything...know the limits you wanna make and make them....if you wanna stop working at 5pm then stop at 5pm...don't schedule more than you wanna do....i guess alot of people just wanna do every job that comes their way so they will make more money...i see other lawncare guys here that start at 6am and are still working at 6pm....to each their own but that's not for me....i work 9-10am til 3-4pm and i'm fine with that...don't need anymore work than that....not worth it to bust your hump just to make a few extra bucks if you ask me....now i'm free to do the things i always wanted to do...i can go running or excercise after work cuz i'm not all give out from working all day...i still feel fresh and am able to do things rather than walking into the house with my feet killing me and being wore out just trying to make it to the couch lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rlee,

Good for you my friend that is a good problem to have at this time. You must be getting the rain like we are here in Pa.. We are cutting just to keep up and have one more bed job to finish. We have about 8 aeration's to still get done, plus we seal coat too and have more work backed up with driveways and parking lots. This is the worst year for weather I have seen in a while, hope we dry out for fall.

Jason,

If you can get by working six hours a day that is great. Do you have a wife that works a job with benefits? I work out too but before I go to work, just like anything in life you have to make time to do it. I still pay & hold my union card pipe fitters, and move back inside November-April. Another 5 years and I am out with a decent pension and benefit.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't rack time yet troop! A few more weeks and things will slow way down. Just in time for deer season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

nah i don't have a wife nor do i have kids...i make $250-$300 in 6 hours of work....that's $1250-$1500 a week....$5000-$6000 a month times 7-8 months out of the year....$35k-$48k a year depending on the weather.....that's plenty of money to live on...i averaged $50k a year at my factory job so i'm working 4-5 months less a year and only taking a slight pay cut....well worth it to me...just lower your standard of living a bit....trust me i've been there...there's no difference in making $40k a year compared to making $60k....i made both during my time at the factory job.....i didn't even notice a difference in my life...i still bought the same things and had the same standard of living....just have to be smart and manage your money right and it's more than worth it....one year i made $60k at the factory when the economy was doing good and we worked alot of overtime and such....i had house and one car....then the next year the economy went bad so they cut our hours and i only made $40k that year....i even bought another car during that time and had extra payments but i still made it just fine.....it's all in how you manage your money....i guess being single has it's benefits when it comes to finances.....maybe if your wife doesn't work she could get a part time job or something to help out or perhaps you can buy a less expensive house...there's ways to make it easier on yourself.....you just have to be smart about it and stop trying to keep up with the jones' so to speak lol...the average income where i live is about $25k a year so i'm well above that....i'm sure you need to make more money if you live in a big city and the cost of living is higher but if you cut grass in those areas you should be charging more money than i do to cut their yards to make up for the difference.

Last edited by weeze; 09-24-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
...i make $250-$300 in 6 hours of work....that's $1250-$1500 a week.
I've been having bad days & weeks too. Poor economy, a little drought this fall. I used to be able to figure $100 X number-of-hours-of-daylight. Not any more. Times are getting tough. It's a good thing mowing ain't my only income.

I don't take days off, I take months off. Nov, Dec, Jan Feb & Mar. I go to Florida.

I've got hobbies, woodworking, biking, kayaking, motorcycle. The trouble with them is nobody wants to pay me to ride a bicycle.

I like mowing the lawn. I have nice equipment to run, sun on my back. It's a good life. People pay me to do what I want to be doing.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
It ain't rack time yet troop! A few more weeks and things will slow way down. Just in time for deer season.
Posted via Mobile Device
OH YEAH! I have the itch so bad! I just got 2 doe tags and I am entering the lottery for up to two more. I have been off for a few days, down in Indiana helping a friend with life troubles. All I have been doing while he is working is watching hunting shows. I cant wait for november 19th.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
nah i don't have a wife nor do i have kids...i make $250-$300 in 6 hours of work....that's $1250-$1500 a week....$5000-$6000 a month times 7-8 months out of the year....$35k-$48k a year depending on the weather.....that's plenty of money to live on...i averaged $50k a year at my factory job so i'm working 4-5 months less a year and only taking a slight pay cut....well worth it to me...just lower your standard of living a bit....trust me i've been there...there's no difference in making $40k a year compared to making $60k....i made both during my time at the factory job.....i didn't even notice a difference in my life...i still bought the same things and had the same standard of living....just have to be smart and manage your money right and it's more than worth it....one year i made $60k at the factory when the economy was doing good and we worked alot of overtime and such....i had house and one car....then the next year the economy went bad so they cut our hours and i only made $40k that year....i even bought another car during that time and had extra payments but i still made it just fine.....it's all in how you manage your money....i guess being single has it's benefits when it comes to finances.....maybe if your wife doesn't work she could get a part time job or something to help out or perhaps you can buy a less expensive house...there's ways to make it easier on yourself.....you just have to be smart about it and stop trying to keep up with the jones' so to speak lol...the average income where i live is about $25k a year so i'm well above that....i'm sure you need to make more money if you live in a big city and the cost of living is higher but if you cut grass in those areas you should be charging more money than i do to cut their yards to make up for the difference.

My wife runs my office, and manages our rental properties, I still have two kids in High school so she likes to stay open.

I must say you are doing well for an area with $25000 as average income. Are they under contract is that money guarantied every week? My residential cutting is small and not even 15% of what we bring in and the only contracts I have are commercial accounts.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
My wife runs my office, and manages our rental properties, I still have two kids in High school so she likes to stay open.

I must say you are doing well for an area with $25000 as average income. Are they under contract is that money guarantied every week? My residential cutting is small and not even 15% of what we bring in and the only contracts I have are commercial accounts.
nah i don't have any contracts and most of them are residentials...i have 2 small commercial lots i do....the residentials is where it's at....there's no competition as long as you do a good job...they like people they know and that they can depend on to do a good job....once you develop that your good to go....nothing in the world is guaranteed these days lol...but noone has dropped me except one person that sold their property...but even if someone does move or something there's always someone else to take their place....it's really not hard once you get going...they come to me i don't have to go out looking for them...i've picked up 2-3 neighbors of yards i was cutting this season....they saw me working and came over and asked me to do theirs for the rest of the season....there are a ton of lawn care companies here but still the demand is very high cuz people are just lazy, don't have the time, or don't wanna pay to buy a lawnmower.....we've had plenty of rain here this year though...i only had to skip one week all season long....i know every year will not be that way but this year has been a good one down here.....i'm sure in this business you're never gonna make the exact same money every year...people drop you....other people hire you....things are always changing....even during the season....you just never know what is gonna happen....sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches....no job in the world is safe anymore.....it's not like it used to be and people did the same job for 30-40 years and then retired....i'm 36 and i've had 11 different jobs in my life already.....hopefully this one will work out until i retire lol....i gotta say even though there are tough days like any other job that this is the best job i've ever had in my life.

Last edited by weeze; 09-25-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

right now is the best time in this job....it's in the 70s outside....feeling great...it's like not even work this time of year lol....the hardest part of this job is july and august...since it's just so hot and humid....once you get past that you look back and realize it was all worth it....in a few months you can just sit back and kick your feet up and relax and do whatever you wanna do.....not many jobs in the world where you are off for 4-5 months at a time......that is a huge bonus...freedom...every other job i've had i never had time off more than a week or so for vacation....this job offers so much freedom if you allow it to....most people just get too greedy and end up working all the time....i'm not gonna let that happen to me...i enjoy time off and i don't wanna work 12hrs a day just to make a few extra bucks....the time off is more important to me...that's why people get burnt out...they tend to over do things....just relax and pace yourself...you'll last a long time and it will be enjoyable....being in a hurry all the time trying to cram everything in is just gonna stress you out and wear you out over time...i dont' ever wanna get to a point where i'm so booked up that i'm always in a rush barely having enough hours in the day to get done....that kind of life isn't for me....that's the beauty of your own business...you can do things your own way...and it works....regardless of the mentality of 95% of people in the world......people don't understand why or how i make it without working through the winter months lol...people have such narrow vision in life....it's called managing your money wisely...it's not rocket science...it's easy....everyone in this country has bought into this work work work attitude and it's just not necessary....i mean i'd rather drive a $20k truck and work 25-30hrs a week than drive a $40k truck and work 60-70hrs a week any day...the time off is worth way more than a little bit of a nicer truck lol...whoop te doo....it's all in where your priorities are and what you wanna acheive....running my business how i see to run it has made my life 100% better....i don't have to get up to an alarm clock in the morning...i'm free to do the things i wanna do...people think that kind of life isn't out there unless you are a celebrity but it is....it's there for the taking.....don't worry about what people think....alot will think you never grew up or you dont' have a real job or whatever while they are busting their humps getting up at 430am and working until 6pm just to pay for their $300k house....that's fine if they wanna do that but that's not how i wanna live my life....that isn't life...that's slavery to a job lol.....it's just not worth it and if they can't see that then i guess they are the ones that never grew up lol.