Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Viking Hydro Issue

I have Exmark Viking dual hydro with about 350 hours. I am hoping for some advice on how to proceed...here is a quick rundown of the problem...

1. Left side hydro doesn't have much power going forward, none backwards

2. I thought tracking/linkage needed adjustment, did it according to owners' manual and it did not solve problem

3. When I adjusted linkage, the wheels are off the ground (jacked up back of mower to adjust) and both sides worked fine. However once both wheels were on the ground (under a load), the left side was weak going forward and did not have any reverse. The right side is strong in forward and reverse.

4. Please help me.

5. Thank you

Dan
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check the control arm on the hydro pump and make sure it is not slipping on the pump shaft.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks...I will check that in the morning. If it is slipping, I am guessing that there is a way to firm that up?

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.exmark.com/Products/Viking/Pdfs/4500-693.pdf

This should be the owners manual for a 2011 Viking. Without a serial number I had no way of knowing the proper manual to download. No guarantee, but I would think that design is similar.

Scroll down to page 26 and take a look at figure 8. The pump arm has a flat on it with a small recess on the flat. The control arm is usually held to the pump arm shaft with a tapered set screw. Sometimes those set screws work loose and the control arm may move quite a bit before activating the pump shaft.

If this happens to be your problem, after you center and tighten the set screw in the recess you will need to readjust your tracking. Some manufacturers use two set screws in the control arms(one on the flat and one opposite). If this is the case, tighten the one on the flat side side first. I would suggest that you remove the set screw(s) and examine the tips and replace if not in good condition. Apply some blue Loctite when you replace to help eliminate backout.

Hope this is your problem with only 350 hours.