Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2011, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Single man operation leaf loader

I run a single man operation from the end of summer through the late spring because my employee goes to college and the work load is pretty manageable. I am putting a dump insert in my pickup truck and want to buy a leaf loader with the tailgate hanger design not the swing mount because I need to be able to tow my trailer with the loader on the truck. So I have a dilemma, the leaf loader weighs about 300 pounds give or take, that's a lot to be lifting on and off the truck all the time I think so does anyone have any experience in this? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill thinking that that's more weight than it really is to pick up off a tailgate from about 4 feet off the ground?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlandscape View Post
I run a single man operation from the end of summer through the late spring because my employee goes to college and the work load is pretty manageable. I am putting a dump insert in my pickup truck and want to buy a leaf loader with the tailgate hanger design not the swing mount because I need to be able to tow my trailer with the loader on the truck. So I have a dilemma, the leaf loader weighs about 300 pounds give or take, that's a lot to be lifting on and off the truck all the time I think so does anyone have any experience in this? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill thinking that that's more weight than it really is to pick up off a tailgate from about 4 feet off the ground?
Do you have a trailer tongue that is extended? either way, mount the loader to the tongue of your trailer or on your trailer. this way all you have to do is unhook the trailer and dump the load.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I would say unless you are a professional weightlifteryou will not be able to put the tailgate loader on without help or something mechanical. Try mounting the leaf loader your trailer for the fall then you wont have to take it on and off. If you are interested in taking a ride I have a billy goat that's in real nice shape with a honda engine. I am not trying to push a sale on you just responding and realized you are in MA. If interested pm me.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should keep it on the trailer if there is room. I mounted mine on a garden cart with pnuematic tires and then I pull it onto the trailer and secure it in the corner of the trailer. When leaf season is over,I just wheel it back into my shop area tuck it in the corner. It stays on the cart all the time. Plus it can be wheeled into a backyard if needed with this setup.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a swingaway door on your insert so all you have to do is swing Vac out of way with the door to dump. So you can still pull your trailer and even remove trailer to back intnto piles or suck up wing rows of leaves. I faced a similar problem in that I only wanted to use one truck with a trailer for clean ups. So instead of the tow behind I fabricated a hanger for my barn doors and mounted my 25 horse giant Vac directly onto the truck. I do however use a winch in my shop to lift Vac on and off.youmay have to get creative with metal work but it is ver y doable ..good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

engine hoist?

And still not rich

Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also There is a guy around here who added a "hitch" to his billy goat trailer mounted loader and pulls the whole rig. So its a GMC 4500<BG leaf loader trailer<8x14 trailer with mowers,etc! pretty sweet! just remembered that.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=cuttin-to-the-Max;4163488]Also There is a guy around here who added a "hitch" to his billy goat trailer mounted loader and pulls the whole rig. So its a GMC 4500<BG leaf loader trailer<8x14 trailer with mowers,etc! pretty sweet! just remembered that.[/QUOTE

thats a little different. wish we could see a pic of that
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds like it would be illegal here in Mass to tandem trailers like that.

I like the idea of using an engine lift to move it I looked into it and a folding engine lift is only $150. I could even use it to place other heavy objects in and out of the truck, like when the supply yard loads heavy trees into my truck and I get to a job and go Oh sh*t how is this gonna work now lol
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Star Lawns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
Also There is a guy around here who added a "hitch" to his billy goat trailer mounted loader and pulls the whole rig. So its a GMC 4500<BG leaf loader trailer<8x14 trailer with mowers,etc! pretty sweet! just remembered that.
thats a little different. wish we could see a pic of that
Quote:
That sounds like it would be illegal here in Mass to tandem trailers like that.

I like the idea of using an engine lift to move it I looked into it and a folding engine lift is only $150. I could even use it to place other heavy objects in and out of the truck, like when the supply yard loads heavy trees into my truck and I get to a job and go Oh sh*t how is this gonna work now lol

Hahah if i see him in the coming weeks i will snap a pic. But from far away it looks like one of those rv hitch hogs i think they are called. We also dont need a plate on leaf loader trailers... Maybe that means something OR Not! In Michigan its legal to pull 2 trailers Never seen someone do it like this until now. I have a buddy who has a F450 With a 30 ft camper trailer and a 20ft boat! He says there is NO Backing up! think you have to be no longer than a semi...