Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah none of that is legal here in Taxachusetts

We have to register leaf loaders as trailers as well as stump grinders, chippers, log splitters etc...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlandscape View Post
Yeah none of that is legal here in Taxachusetts

We have to register leaf loaders as trailers as well as stump grinders, chippers, log splitters etc...
Hahaha CRAZY!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a swing away dump insert. Takes a fair bit of custom engineering and bracing of the tailgate. I dont use that setup anymore, but if i did it again I would have a heavy duty bumper built that has a swing away mount. Think of a jeep with the swing away tire. This way you could tow and you do not have to mess with the insert. The bumper can stay on and the swing away bar can be removed as needed.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, not gonna get that on and off by yourself without some mechanical aide unless you're a serioius weight lifter. I'll bet my oldest brother could, but he's not human, lol. It's not just heavy, it's bulky too. I use my front end loader on my tractor to get mine on and off my dump trailer gate.

As mentioned, most people mount it to the front of the trailer, but I don't like having the loader there, I feel clausterphoic working in between the truck and trailer. And then if you want to just go chasing piles you have to bring the trailer along too. A lot of guys around me mount them on their plow mounts. I've heard that DOT isn't so big on the idea but I see it all the time.

This is why my leaf loader sits in my shed, LOL.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I run a single man operation...I am putting a dump insert in my pickup truck and want to buy a leaf loader with the tailgate hanger design... So I have a dilemma, the leaf loader weighs about 300 pounds give or take, that's a lot to be lifting on and off the truck all the time I think...Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill thinking that that's more weight than it really is to pick up off a tailgate from about 4 feet off the ground?
Well can you pick it up and mount it by yourself or not? Would it be a daily event? I could lift it ,and I am not a professional weightlifter, but then again I am not you and I outweigh that loader by quite a bit.
I say your making a mountain out of your mole hill...just try and lift that loader and go from there.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

You outweigh a 300 pound leaf loader? And actually I looked up the Giant Vac I ordered and it is a 370 pound unit. I am gonna buy a cheap engine lift and use that since it is going to be an almost every day occurrence to take it off since it has to come off to dump the dump insert.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You outweigh a 300 pound leaf loader? And actually I looked up the Giant Vac I ordered and it is a 370 pound unit. I am gonna buy a cheap engine lift and use that since it is going to be an almost every day occurrence to take it off since it has to come off to dump the dump insert.
Thats gonna Suck.......But if it works for you, go for it!
Dont mean to sound like a ****
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep, I outweigh a leaf loader... maybe not the best thing, but it has some advantages. How come you can't mount to the front of the truck, and leave it there for the season?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
Yep, I outweigh a leaf loader... maybe not the best thing, but it has some advantages. How come you can't mount to the front of the truck, and leave it there for the season?
I would either do that or put it on my trailer. Many guys put it on the plow mounts.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I would love to mount it on my plow mounts but once again Massachusetts seems to think that is a big NO NO. I contemplated mounting it on the trailer but if you have to put the truck somewhere tight to load a leaf pile the trailer has to go too. Way to claustrophobic for my liking. gonna have to find a way to hoist it. my choices are an engine hoist or maybe a tranny jack?