Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate trimming boxwoods. Hope that was constructive advice.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As a side note, I like the Echo HC-150 trimmers I recently bought. I miss the length of my 30 inch Shindaiwa unit when I'm using them sometimes, but not the weight. That was the primary reason I got them. I still have the Shin but onlly use it when I need it because it really aggrivates a bad shoulder I have.

I also have a cordless homeowner Black & Decker unit that lives in my tool box. That comes in handy sometimes, like when you need to trim one handing in a precarious position on a ladder or climbing between a hedge/shrub and a building.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of trimmers, has anyone tried that infomercial dome lookin thing that traps the clipping as it cuts...
I was thinking of a better way to smooth out the global arborvitaes...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I read the reviews on that unit and the consensus was pretty much that it sucks/doesn't work, not with any significant amount of growth anyway.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor bought one last week, and tried to use it on a holly with maybe 2" of growth at most. The problems he told me were:
*It was bulky and annoying to use
*The suction sucked (no pun intended)
*It kept getting clogged up
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Want to first clarify your sheer is hedge trimmer right?

You should take off the aluminum thing on the blade as soon as you get it!!! They push the branches and leafs away. Also do you use Fluid Film to lube and clear the blades before and after trimming? Little sapping will destroy the ability of cutting. I know because I almost threw away my beloved Echo HC151 away. It just stop cutting when there are deposits between the blades.

I have rows and rows of boxwood hedges. I have no problem with this. It is a hard one to trim, you have to be patience. They are twice as hard to trim than the Junipers and Cypress.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Want to first clarify your sheer is hedge trimmer right?

You should take off the aluminum thing on the blade as soon as you get it!!! They push the branches and leafs away. Also do you use Fluid Film to lube and clear the blades before and after trimming? Little sapping will destroy the ability of cutting. I know because I almost threw away my beloved Echo HC151 away. It just stop cutting when there are deposits between the blades.

I have rows and rows of boxwood hedges. I have no problem with this. It is a hard one to trim, you have to be patience. They are twice as hard to trim than the Junipers and Cypress.
Yeah that's excactly what I think is happening...that the stiffener (guard) is pushing them away. I usually use WD40 or Silicone spray, and yes, hedge trimmers (shears).
Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Darryl,
I feel you now as I really don't like trimming any of the boxwood varieties. My HC 150 trimmers all have had their bars removed because they do hinder the use and effectiveness of the cut. It restricts and protects users from cutting things too large for the blades. YOU KNOW?? Anyway, I understand what you mean by pulling up odd branches and not evenly cutting the foliage. I often have to make several lateral swaths to even out the tops after cutting.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the reviews... I'll have to continue finishing up with the hands shears, evidently still the best tool for some circumstances...
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't laugh now!!! I always use a Craftsman 6V little hedge trimmer with 3" front blade to finish up and fine detail after trimming the boxwood. It is very hard to trim clean no matter what brand you use and I honestly think all brands are very close in cut quality.

That little thingy really make my day for the little bit of things sticking out after the main trimming. I just hold it and walk around for inspection. Hand sheer is too difficult!!!

And yes, it is a Craftsman or if you prefer to call it Crapsman. It work. It is I think only $29.99 selling in OSH or any big store.

Make sure you price your job according for boxwood, it's a different world.