Cash is KING! Never had any debt.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

debt free for 4 years! I love cash!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowingMowingMowing View Post
Compares Walmart to a lawn care company isn't exactly apples to apples.

I've never had any debt, but then again I'm primarily a maintenance company so all I've had to buy is mowers, trimmers, blowers, a trailer, etc. No need to go into debt for those things.

The way I paid for almost all my equipment was buying people's equipment in the offseason for a deep discount, cleaning them up (changed plugs, greased everything, actually washed the mower, sharpened blades, changed filters, etc.), reselling them come spring for a hefty markup (what the current market would demand), and reinvesting the profits into buying my equipment. This worked amazing back in 2008, not as easy now to do this but still do a couple each year like this.
I dont know what the deal was in 2008 but equiptment was being sold really cheap, I bought a lot of stuff that was near new for around 30% of retail. I cant find these deals anymore.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1994 View Post
Debt is dumb. Cash is king. Wait to buy still until you can ACTUALLY afford it. There's plenty of deals the CC companies offer (cashback, way-to-save, etc.) but only because they know they'll get back exponentially in interest. Stick to the Benjamins and you CAN'T get into debt.
Using cash at this time is not very smart....interest rates are at all time lows. Not possible to grow a business without staying in debt. I never in 30 years had a goal of paying for my equipment. The end game is growing something that can be sold someday for something.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Using cash at this time is not very smart....interest rates are at all time lows. Not possible to grow a business without staying in debt. I never in 30 years had a goal of paying for my equipment. The end game is growing something that can be sold someday for something.
your still paying interest.... might just be me, but id rather keep that small percentage in the bank. Then again that would be what i would do.

Cash is king like some one already stated.

Congrats to the companies out there that are debt free. Dont see that much in America debt free companies or private people.
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its hard to believe that most are debt free, 4 years ago this post would have been like those politiocal posts, anr I think there was only a few of us debrt free guys.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutch16 View Post
your still paying interest.... might just be me, but id rather keep that small percentage in the bank. Then again that would be what i would do.

Cash is king like some one already stated.

Congrats to the companies out there that are debt free. Dont see that much in America debt free companies or private people.
You obviously don't look around for deals. I just bought a ferris wb for 3 yr. 0% interest. Payments are $95/mo. But, most of you guys would rather pay the $3k up front bc "debt is dumb" and " I pay everything in cash."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well try to sell debt on autos and lawncare equiptment.

I see 14, 15,,and 16 year olds on hers all the time building businesses with cash.

Its far eaiser to grow a business slow and stable. Debt never equils customers. All mowers start to like like crap afte 700-800 hours.

Heres how debt work wheather its business or personal

Debt gets you a new home a new car and if your really stupid you can finance the living room coluch.
All that stuff is rally quite nice, the downfall is you are now going backwords, yes backwords. The house gets old the car get digned the couch is no longer conformatable. The bill comes for all the crap and you still owe nearly what you paid for the crap even though the car is worth 1/3 of what you bought it for and Good Will wont even pick up the couch. Eventually if you over extend you really LOOSE ALL THE STUFF THAT WASNT REALLY YOURS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I dont know what the deal was in 2008 but equiptment was being sold really cheap, I bought a lot of stuff that was near new for around 30% of retail. I cant find these deals anymore.
Yeah, idk why, but 2008 was ridiculous. I was a senior in high school and I was buying mowers left and right and selling them many times within the same month making between $500-$2,000 each. I was living the high life!

My best find was a floating deck Scag from a local dealer that was 3 years old. It had a flat tire and needed the recoil replaced, and the guy said he got it in on trade, couldn't have had more than 100-200 hours on it.

Said he wanted $500 for it, I tried to keep my composure and not look too excited as I knew it was already a steal... I bent down and started looking over the tire again and he said I'll give it to you for $400 today and I'll even lift it onto your trailer, and I took it.... I happened to have an extra tire at home.... Fast forward about $75 in parts later, sold it the next week for $2,500. Easiest money I've ever made.

Since 2008, it hasn't been that easy, but if you check around every once in a while you find some gold or simply a good mower to add to your fleet.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
You obviously don't look around for deals. I just bought a ferris wb for 3 yr. 0% interest. Payments are $95/mo. But, most of you guys would rather pay the $3k up front bc "debt is dumb" and " I pay everything in cash."
Posted via Mobile Device
If you're a big business and your equipment expense is substantial then you have a good point, but just for a $3,000 walk behinds for a mowing business is it worth it?

For me, I would much rather just shell out the cash, take the discount (whether it be the dealer, around here that will be 2%-3% and if they don't offer it use your CC, go straight to the bank and pay it off and collect the 2% from them) and be done with it.

Alternatively, you're paying $95 a month. That's one more headache you have to make sure gets paid each month. If I recall correctly, Topsites had some issues with this, where they stopped his direct withdrawal or something.

Everyone's situation is different, but on items that small, unless you are just dirt poor, I can't make sense of it. Time value of money is important obviously, but given the situation, I can't justify it. Just my 2 cents.