Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a Gravely Pro Ride 260 Zero Turn Mower

After alot of Looking, figuring and research I bought a 2011 Gravely Pro Ride 260 (60" deck and 27 HP Kawasaki) last Friday Afternoon. We got some rain Friday afternoon and then some more Saturday morning around 9:00 Am. It rained for thirty minutes or so. So I had some time to double check the deck pitch, tire pressure and deck level side to side. I had to adjust the tire pressure and adjust the deck level some but the deck pitch was fine.

I was eager to see how well the Gravely Pro Ride (EverRide Warrior Painted Red) would handle 4 mostly Bahia Biweekly accounts that I do. I also had my Lastec 3261 AGC ZT mower (for my helper) and Ingersoll 4118 (48" hyd. driven deck)Garden tractor;used on a couple of ditch areas and heavy foot traffic, thin grass areas, on these jobs.

I was pretty Impressed with the cut quality of the Pro Ride on the tall, stemmy bahia. I was able to cut it clean in one pass at a higher speed than with the Lastec, although the Lastec does a good job of cutting it with few stringers left.

There was also some areas of St Augustine, Zoysia and common Bermuda and some dallis grass that I cut with the Pro Ride and it did a great job on them also, as does the Lastec on turf grasses.

The grass had dried out quite a bit by mid afternoon but still had some moisture on it (spotty) but After using it all afternoon I checked under the deck and there was no buildup, so I was impressed with that also.

It did leave some of the stems longer than The Lastec, which chops them up pretty small, but the Pro Ride, with it's very Large Discharge opening dispersed the clippings very well, with no clumping.

I'm excited about this deck's performance on Bahia. I will update this thread after I use it on my other acccounts.

Even though the engine is not broke in yet, I will refill my gas tanks and report back with the fuel usage of the Kawasaki (FX series) 27 HP so far.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good so far. Where's the pics at though? Maybe some of your mowing work as well, would be valuable to others here- quality/looks of the cut etc.

You might want to try the Oregon Gator G6 blades. They really do great at chopping tough field grasses down to size. We may not have the same stuff here that you do, but we have our own stubborn grasses that get really stemmy and tough if let grow taller than 4-5" or so. I am really happy with them, and more so every time I use them. They hold their edge well too.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't had much time at the computer since I started this thread. Sorry about that.

I have tried to upload some Pics but I think that they will have to be resized or somthing because the upload fails every time I try it. My digital camera is a 12 mega pixel camera I don't know if that matters or not but my pics are 4000 x 3000 (jpg), which is larger than the max. size that the Lawnsite uploading chart shows.

About the mower, I refilled the gas tanks before mowing last evening and it took 3.93 gallons to fill up and I had put 3.1 hrs on it while mowing Saturday afternoon. That comes out to 1.26 gph, which is betterthan I thought it would be.

I will say that the gras that I cut had light/moderate overall growth, even though the bahia stems were pretty tall ( 12" +).

I don't have any "hilly" properties to mow but I do have 6-7 fairly steep ditch banks to mow and even though I'm getting used to the handling of the Pro ride compared to the Lastec, I think that I can say with some certainty that the gravely Pro Ride does not "hang" on the ditch banks like the Lastec does.

It will probably be next season before I will get to use it in heavy growth, but it sure is doing a fine job so far on this late season bahia.

One thing that has suprised me about the mower deck is that it seems to have pretty good suction. with it being a tunnel style deck and large opening I didn't think that it would have much. Just guessing but maybe it has to do with how shallow the rear of the deck is. I'm guessing around 3.5 to 4 ".

Sorry about no pics but If I can get mine resized I will try to upload them again.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

trying to upload a couple of Pics.

I have finally got a few pics resized of te New mower and my older mower.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm on my second Warrior. I love these mowers! Disappointed that the Everride brand is no more but relieved to see Ariens carry on the model in the Gravely lineup. I got to tell you the best results I get from my mower is running double blades with a mulching blade on top of the high lift blade. The grass and leaves are reduced to nothing. I'm not going to get into a debate over double blades. I know what works for me and my machine.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to upload a few more and then I'm done, until I get a pic or two after or while cutting.

I know these pics are nothing special but I wanted to see if I had resized them without distorting or hurting the quality of the pics.

You can see the size of the discharge opening of the Pro Ride compared to the Lastec in the top pic.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
I'm on my second Warrior. I love these mowers! Disappointed that the Everride brand is no more but relieved to see Ariens carry on the model in the Gravely lineup. I got to tell you the best results I get from my mower is running double blades with a mulching blade on top of the high lift blade. The grass and leaves are reduced to nothing. I'm not going to get into a debate over double blades. I know what works for me and my machine.
Have you tried the Oregon G 6 blades yet?

I'll probably do most of my leaf jobs with the Lastec (hopper style catcher and belt driven off of spindle) and the large deck Ingersoll. It has a pull behind dump cart with a Hydraulic driven blower.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
Have you tried the Oregon G 6 blades yet?

I'll probably do most of my leaf jobs with the Lastec (hopper style catcher and belt driven off of spindle) and the large deck Ingersoll. It has a pull behind dump cart with a Hydraulic driven blower.
not yet. My dealer doesn't carry them so 've got to find somewhere to get them from.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last pic is of the discharge opening. You can see how the blades are set back from the front lip of the deck....being a tunnel style deck.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the look of this mower compared to the Gravely 260 Z that I owned for a short time. I hated the lack of traction on it. How is the Pro Ride regarding downhill traction compared to your Lastec ? I almost bought one just like it but the dealer scared me off at the time but I liked the machine.

The new Pro ride has a totally different deck than the gravely deck to doesn't it?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong