Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag SWZ or PRO-V ???

Buying a new machine next year. Getting either a Pro-V or Swz with a 48 inch deck. The Swz is slightly more in price than the Pro-v and im wondering how the pro v is gonna hold up with the more complex hydro system. With sulkys, would these units be able to cut 1 acre properties at a reasonable rate. Most of my accounts are small, with the exception of three which are 1 acre large. This would be the most affordable thing right now.

SO... SWZ OR PRO-V

14 Years old
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

someone please??

14 Years old
Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 Turf Tigers and have demoed the Pro-v. I don't like the control on the Pro-v. I have demoed a v-ride and thought the controls where a big improvement. If you want a Scag I would get the v-ride. We have two Toro t-2 hydro walkbehinds that are 48/ 19 Kawasaki's. I think the Toro's are easier to control in my opinion then the Pro-v. I really like the deck adjustment on the scag better. I would demo the Scag before you buy and make sure you like the controls.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How would the prov be on large propertys? does it look professional (the mower).

14 Years old
Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are Scag all the way but did not even consider the Pro......still like to ride in a seat. Only one reason to get them...space in trailer. I would not get a 48" WB unless it is a hydro, we got a belt drive and not real happy. That deck is tooo heavy to muscle around and jump curbs.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We are Scag all the way but did not even consider the Pro......still like to ride in a seat. Only one reason to get them...space in trailer. I would not get a 48" WB unless it is a hydro, we got a belt drive and not real happy. That deck is tooo heavy to muscle around and jump curbs.
But how would a tiger cat be on a real small lawn. Wouldnt it do a crappy job compared to the SWZ.

14 Years old
Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
But how would a tiger cat be on a real small lawn. Wouldnt it do a crappy job compared to the SWZ.
I haven't dealt specifically with Scag, but a rider will do more turf damage on a small lawn than a walk. The stand-on mower are substantially better on a small lawn than a rider, but are heavier and thus harder on a small lawn than an equivalent walk-behind. You also have to consider your customer base and whether they are likely to mind a larger machine on their lawn.

I would suggest you demo the Pro-V and see if you like the set-up or not. I'm surprised the SWZ is more expensive, given its fixed deck rather than floating like the Pro-V.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use our tiger cub on small stuff. Like really small stuff...you know the stuff you should use a 21" on
Our local dealer said that the pro-v had a ton of issues. If you really want scag I would go with either the TC or a v-ride. I started out with a scag 6 years ago that my dad bought for our residence. I always have bled orange! But if you want a good walkbehind look no further than exmark. Much better than a scag IMHO. ECS, quality of cut, etc make them much better.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.