Register free!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Residential and commercial water features and irrigation will all but disappear in the not so distant future.... get out while you can. If water features is the only shirt you wear ... then better start shopping for more shirts. The things in a landscape that will disappear as time goes by .... in order are ..... water features, closely followed by lighting & hardscaping, then irrigation, then lawns.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawns are not going away, you silly. Just what do you expect to replace them? Tennis courts? Swimming pools? Rocks?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Residential and commercial water features and irrigation will all but disappear in the not so distant future.... get out while you can. If water features is the only shirt you wear ... then better start shopping for more shirts. The things in a landscape that will disappear as time goes by .... in order are ..... water features, closely followed by lighting & hardscaping, then irrigation, then lawns.
And then cars and homes and clothes. C'mon all. Let's get ready for basic,
sustainable existence.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Lawns are not going away, you silly. Just what do you expect to replace them? Tennis courts? Swimming pools? Rocks?
Try growing a lawn in an area that requires irrigation. Out here .... take away the water and the regionally inappropriate "landscape" pretty much dies ... the lawn being one of the first to go. The only lawns you will see are those that are in areas that need no supplemental water and do not require huge investments of money to maintain.

People also used to think those who said the earth was round were silly (and raving insane). Silly ..... heh?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
C'mon all. Let's get ready for basic,
sustainable existence.
You have the right idea.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If California goes back to a desert climate, it should help solve overpopulation problems. Beyond that, there must be fire concerns if you let your property go "natural"
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get ready .....
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
If California goes back to a desert climate, it should help solve overpopulation problems. Beyond that, there must be fire concerns if you let your property go "natural"
When money and resources are tight, which luxury item (for those that even own homes) will be the first to go? The landscape or a roof over your head and water to drink? You are already starting to see it .... witness this thread and many others complaining about loss of clients and work.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
No disrespect here... but most irrigation contractors around here would not touch an pond with a ten foot pole. I might sub it out if the home owner wanted a package deal, but I have to pay my guys way to much to get involved in a non-licensed trade.

I would never pull a irrigation crew to install a pond, and I think that goes for just about anyone that runs a high volume irrigation company.
I agree with you.

Here is my issue with the Distributers and it has been going down for the last 8 years or more.

Every lawn boy that walks into the store (JDL) and they ask for information on a irrigation contactor, down swoops "Super Salesman" that wants to set this 1-3 man mowing guy up to do irrigation!

"We can help you, do take off's for you, come to our class and Hell....we will even come flag the job and help you.

Instead of giving the guy a quality contactors name and number, now we have another newbie who thinks he hit the jack pot with this irrigation stuff.

The only good to come out of this crap economy is it has weeded out all the guys that had no business being in business.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We offer a very simple water feature cleaning service during our slow times

Mainly re-organizing rocks.. Picking up large debris, washing off rocks/debris with a hose and then pump out the washed down debris and replace water

I don't think lawns are going away anytime soon.. Someday yes? Not in my lifetime though. At least my neck of the woods..

Politics would be the biggest leading factor in something like that changing.. And at this moment as much as water conservation is important- it's at the low end of priority in the political world.