Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish the XT5 had a diff lock on the front so it would climb into trailers. Actually since I'm just making wishes I wish they made the rear wheels the drive wheels and front on swivel castor's. I've only used mine on one lawn and it was very dry so it didn't do a real good job. I'm going back to do the lawn again when its wetter. I paid extra for the Suburu engine and I'm not sure if it just needs broke in or if its alway going to suck to start. After its warm it starts fine but the first start of the day takes like 25 pulls, needless to say I kinda wish I would have just gotten the cheaper Briggs motor now.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Would anyone care to divulge the actual tine spacing on the xt5....? Last year another poster sent me the measurements but I want to verify.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Would anyone care to divulge the actual tine spacing on the xt5....? Last year another poster sent me the measurements but I want to verify.
Posted via Mobile Device
From the front of one tine to the front of the next is 7 3/4. Each tine wheel is 3 3/4 inches apart on center. Hope this was what you were looking for. I've been reading alot about aerators on here and you seem to have a fixation with this...Ever been diagnosed with OCD?? Just kidding. couldn't resist

Took about 15 minutes to get it out and put it together. I can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
From the front of one tine to the front of the next is 7 3/4. Each tine wheel is 3 3/4 inches apart on center. Hope this was what you were looking for. I've been reading alot about aerators on here and you seem to have a fixation with this...Ever been diagnosed with OCD?? Just kidding. couldn't resist

Took about 15 minutes to get it out and put it together. I can't wait to try it out.
OCD ...officially not that I know of....

Thanks for the Intel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just did the math ....Turfco has the pattern a bit tighter than Lawn Solutions or should I say Toro.

So the extreme outside distance is 18.75" on the XT5.

Lawn Solutions/ Toro is 17.5"

I absolutely hate the LS on side hills. Major pita to control. Even if I'm dealing with.a.cheap skate client who.doesn't want to.pay.the extra 30% for the plugr 850....they will get.it on grassy swells or steep hilly lawns etc. Just easier and faster with hydro plugr
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still have the 2 videos taken from this year's ISU turfgrass event showing how fast & effective the XT5 is. If you want me to forward the videos, just let me know. It's "night & day".
s.[/QUOTE]
Yes please. Id love the video.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Aerators left to right spacing can be measured as it will never change. The front to rear spacing will change depending on the lawn. Nice soft, wet golf course green will give you closer spacing than a hard dry clay lawn because the tines do not sink in very deep. Imagine the diameter of a wheel as the wheel gets smaller the distance gets to be less. The very best way is to get a piece of clear plastic cut 3 foot by 3 foot. Lay it on an aerated surface and count the holes and divide by 9 so you get an average. Then note the soil type and conditions so you have a record. Or you can measure the diameter of the tine reel 3 inches in from the tip the divide by the number of tines.
When I worked at Ryan we had the clear piece of plastic it worked best and easiest.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Turfco XT5 and the Lawn Solutions aerator. I found a LS aerator for about the same price so it boils down to best performance. I do mostly smaller lawns with some hills.
Thanks, gonna pull the trigger in the next few days.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the XT5 very solid machine easy to operate, You would either be buying a Toro or a Exmark. Lawn Solutions is no more, Turfco has been around forever and their machines are quality.

Bottom line Turfco has a sale going on right now and you not going to beat the price or the parts service you get from them 10% off and free freight or 6 Months no interest.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. Kinda funny -- 2 LCO's visited us Sunday morning to demo our T3000's. They drove them during heavy sleet & rain, yet both guys ordered new T3000's today (email confirmation).

But while they were here, they noticed our "aeration equipment". (several versions of TURFCO & Ryans. Pull-behinds/walk-behinds, chariots, sulky).

So then we let 'em try both our "hydro" aerators (TURFCO & Lawn Solutions) It was "hands down". The XT5 was faster/easier to manuever/pulled deeper plugs/pulled more plugs, and handled hills better . So then one of my guys showed up. (he was in charge of most of our seeding jobs last fall). He explained to them why our LS aerator has been "sitting in our warehouse" for 2 years. And the "XT5 had been used on all properties since we bought it".

Shoot me if I'm wrong. Antbody want a slightly used LS hyrdro, please PM me. We need to get rid of it. Cheap.