Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys. I will order a XT5 tomorrow. The hills worried me on the toro demo, felt like it was tipping. I was hoping the turfco was the one for me since I was born and raised in MN. I live in CO. now, but my heart is still in MN.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

With the XT5 and any other aerator out there you will get 6 cores per square feet. If someone says they are getting 9 it’s because they are turning that square foot sideways like a diamond. So that baseball diamond square foot will have 9 cores but the next one will have only 3. So long of the short is any rolling tine aerator you will get 6 cores per square foot. Second, a rolling tine aerator does two things, first it pulls cores, but seconded it disturbers the soil and tears the root system. This even further more decompacts the soil and promotes root growth. The Plugers do not have that tearing motion under the soil which is important to have. The angle in which the tines enter and exit the ground is of importance. A lot of time and energy went into building the proper tine. I know it sounds lame but it’s true. If anyone has any more questions us here at Turfco are ready to help. Also we do have that spring special going on right now 10% off and free shipping. I hope everyone made a bunch of money plowing! Have a great day.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Of all the current manufactures of aerators....ONLY Exmark has the mathematically correct formula for plugs per square foot. It is actually 4.57142857 plugs per square foot. Lawn Solutions/Exmark/Toro in the Stand on and also the 21” WB tines are 3.5” x 9” and yes....tines on my turf here really do enter and exit at that full 9”.

I have all the tine spacing specs for most WB units on the market. Someday they will go up on my web site.

I can’t speak for the Ryan 28 reciprocating but the Plugr 800 series does do a fair amount of soil fracturing as well since the tines actually drive the machine. In fact I use the front hydro on my Plugr 850’s as a brake to forward motion and literally fracture and force the tines to actually lift the sod from the sub soil. There is no way a rolling tine unit can match this tear and lift action. Someday when have time I will post Hi Def video of this process.

This time lapse video is from Spring of 2012 with my Plugr 850 vs. my LS 21”

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exact -- I know you know your stuff. (much appreciated) We tried the 28, did a nice job pulling plugs. Also did side-by-side tests of Plugr 8 , Lawn Solutions, TURFCO XT5. We found that both the LA 28 and the PlugR 800 were difficult to use (they also kinda beat up the operator). The LS hydro was easier to operate and did a decent job. At ISU field station, the XT5 was the clear choice by nearly all attendees who demoed aerators >> faster than the rest, pulled many plugs, way easier to maneuver. We love our XT5's (Not for sale) -- but got several old-style aerators I need to get rid of. my 2 cents