Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys take pictures to prepare a bid packet?

I'm wondering how many of you guys walk an entire project and take pictures of overlooked details/badly done work etc when trying to land a new project.

What I do is walk the entire project and if I notice Crepe Myrtle suckers, untrimmed bushes, dead spots, irrigation geysers etc and put the 40 or however many pictures into a presentation with a caption underneath each picture indicating the problem since many Board members might not know exactly know what they're looking at.

This has helped me to set myself apart from the average outfit and take clients.

Any feedback?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that is a excellent idea. I can't tell you how many times a picture has helped me get my point across.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do mostly high end residential so I like to walk the yard and point out issues and solutions on the spot. I avoid most of the commercial stuff.

For landscape jobs I do a full presentation of the before pictures I print out, pictures on my laptop of the material to be used to help customers visualize what their yard could look like, and a detailed AutoCad plan that very few companies can generate. I go over the amended soils to be used and warn about the detrimental chocolate loam soil used by 90% of the companies in Austin. There is no better way to say I don't give a shitz about a job then to fill up the beds with $3 a yard chocolate loam.

I almost never win jobs on price. Getting a customers faith that you are a horticultural guru who actually cares about the customer's landscape is how I win the battle. When I tell customers I will design their landscape, hand pick all the plants, and be the job site from start to finish it also helps a lot.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been taking pictures for many years. My oldest son or I walk the property and look for any damage before we even put a machine on it. This has covered my butt many times for something I could take a fall for but not my blame. My cell phone has turned into a very valuable tool for my business and that is one of the way's.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I did that once. Kind of pointed out the failings of my competition. Didn't work out for me. Used pics and all.
I changed my tatcics. I'd measure the lawn with my GPS and gave them the precise square footage. Stated exactly what fertilizers & herbicides I'd use and when to apply them. Stuff I knew they could & would just hand to a competitive bidder.
That got me a lot more loyal customers. To this day I won't say anything bad about the competition.
Customers trust me like I was a department head or something. Some I send the bill directly to accounts payable without "authorization". Some give me "Carte Blanche" to do whatever's needed and send them a bill.
It might be just the type of market I'm in but that seems to be what customers want. Frank honesty, trustworthy, and some measure of competency. In that order.