Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

High GPM Pump Installers

I am looking for some more information on equipment for systems using Lake Pumps around 10hp / 120 gpm. I am looking for better ways to run the lines, rather than solvent welded pvc pipe. The company doing the pump services now has been a total cluster F! Constant problems and blow outs, so we have been asked to take over and I need some good vendors. We already run a couple sites with Watertronics pump stations, but this is just a 10hp Berkley Submersible in a 6" casing with a 3" feeder line.

Any good places to find parts, fittings and lines is appreciated. I am even looking towards all flanged fittings since we will be doing a AMIAD TAF 750 filter also.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A properly assembled solvent weld will last forever, or at least the life span of the PVC. Find someone competent.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

at 120 gpm, aren't you getting into gasketed connections, with thrust blocks, and all that good stuff?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
A properly assembled solvent weld will last forever, or at least the life span of the PVC. Find someone competent.
We must be idiots? Why the hell have we been thrust blocking the 4" mainline on our sites with 120 GPM? All I needed was to have someone "competent" in solvent welding show us how it is really done! Thanks for the help Kiril!! J/K, but I am not here for a Glue School

Anyway

The line coming from the pump in the lake hits a stone retaining wall around the entire lake. There is a sleeve that penetrates through the wall and then it 90's up. It was sealed in about 10' down from finished grade to where our flow sensor, filter and PRV is set. The lake is now 2 ft. over that sleeve due to a bunch of rain and can be accessed with out pumping the lake down which could take weeks to do. The pump company tried an "under water glue" and it did not work. This is a large pump company, and when I heard about the under water weld I was sceptical, but I never claim to know everything. When they asked us to fire the pump to the system, it blew at the coupler where the glued in a coupling.....underwater! I am not kidding.

I have done large projects for this developer for over 10 years. They have asked us to take over and get the pump up and running. Last months water bill was $21,000 so they are finally done and pissed at the pump company.

I would like to see some vendors that carry soft pipe and hard pipe used for this type of pump install so I have some options to choose from. I know Firestone makes a somewhat flexible line, but I am having trouble finding a source. We have installed 200 plus pumps, but not one this large. Time is critical, so I am doing my research to see what choices we have.

The old way they changed the pump was to just cut the pvc line, pull pump, and the try to glue it again once serviced. The AMIAD filter comes with flanged joints, hence the reason I am looking to go this route. You cannot just buy these fittings any where, so again I just want to look around to see what choices we have and what is recommended.

Last edited by SPEEDSKI; 09-24-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI View Post
We must be idiots? Why the hell have we been thrust blocking the 4" mainline on our sites with 120 GPM? All I needed was to have someone "competent" in solvent welding show us how it is really done! Thanks for the help Kiril!! J/K, but I am not here for a Glue School
At least your pump guys are idiots. ... as you have already stated. Thrust blocking has nothing to do with proper solvent welding. One would think if you are pushing that much water, thrust blocking would be a given .... guess not. Carry on sonny.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have a site similar to that, centrifical pump though. We used SCD 40 wellcasing & Victaulic fittings, a lot faster to install than flanged and a lot more reliable than solvent welding. I'm guessing some people on this site have never had a solvent weld fail.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure it applies but could you use HDPE with the fused joints. It is somwhat flexible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if any of the flexible tubing used for pump suction will have the needed pressure rating. In a time crunch, you might need to use some kind of hose assembly, like those used for material transfer.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't understand the need for flex pipe to the suction side, how are you going to join it to your submersible and filter?

I take it your goal is not to pull the whole thing out of the water, right? Victaulic is ideal for submerged applications if you don't want to replace the entire vacuum line; you don't need to spend a long time underwater installing it, cutting the grove to the existing well casing & installing the fitting takes less time than installing & bolting a flange together (something I've never done without pulling everything out of the water). Once done, it'll be easy to service the pump & the filter later on.

Perhaps I'm not fully grasping the nature of the problem.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder why they aren't using a mechanical fitting, like megalug, instead of trying to glue a new fitting on.
Adapting the pipe to a flanged end with a restrained flange adapter might make servicing easier.