Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2011, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Organic Lawn Equipment?

I would like to know what other organic companies are using for maintenance equipment. Reel, electric, rotary? Is your company just organic or Eco? What type of grass? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We travel around with 6 goats per k, for an hour of mowing an charge extra for fertilizing... anyother man made energy source is no more green than the next...
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, there is organic, which is basically soil science and not grass science. Then there is eco-friendly which I take as pushing a reel. I have one for my personal lawn, but doubt many will pay extra to use one in there lawn. Then finally there is natural, which puts everyone out of business. Natural would be the goats, or the 6 foot lawns. We have a guy on our local craigslist selling eco-friendly mole removal. He will bring his daschound (however you spell it) around and let nature do its thing.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

smallaxe, Perhaps you are serious about the goats. Are you?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not even the goats are 100% organic. They produce methane and you still have to transport them. I still maintain my view that this planet barely cares we are here. Despite our best efforts to eradicate various lifeforms nature adapts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBrad View Post
smallaxe, Perhaps you are serious about the goats. Are you?
I'm serious that it would work well, but equally serious it may not sell well... besides only giving you 1 lawn per day...
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Well are you still using gas powered rotary mowers. I live in alabama, and we have the thick warm season grasses. Today I purchased a fiskars 18 inch, and it does a really great job on St. Augustine. However, if I were to offer an eco-friendly service (including organic soil etc.), I will have to wait for a battery powered zero turn that last all day long or get about 3-4 guys pushing along with me to compete with my 48" zero turn. Then I have to pay for all that mess. So is anyone doing anything eco-friendly succesfully, or is everyone just organic soil with gas powered rocket mowers?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Not even the goats are 100% organic. They produce methane and you still have to transport them. I still maintain my view that this planet barely cares we are here. Despite our best efforts to eradicate various lifeforms nature adapts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Batteries get recharged from coal burning plants or nuclear, methane is a constant companion to swamps and rain forests as well as CO2(plant food), recycling cost more in fossil fuel energy from beginning to end, so unless you have a religious belief about Gaia, it really appears to be a scam.

I agree with you, the planet barely knows were here in the sense of CO2 and methane, but I would like to know the radiation levels of the atmosphere, sea and soils resulting from Japan's fallout episode...
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Considering Siemens is rumoured to be abruptly pulling out of the nuclear game I would say there might be a global shift on nuke futures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess no one is going to answer my ?.