Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

possible cassino work

so i know someone in my family that works for a cassino here in town. She said that the company that is contracted it sucks this year. The lco is one of the two biggest around town, they get all the big mowing jobs like the hospitals, banks with mutliple branches and so on. Well she told me the guy is not happy that is in charge of the cassino. they leave it messy, they dont cut it the right height, and they dont pick up a lot of the trash. They also did pruning of the trees and ill tell ya they suck if you really look at them. But she dont want me to try to get this place in the spring because they are picky. The more someone tells me i cant do or shouldnt do something like that, the more it makes me want to. I know i can do a good job with it, but what would you guys do. would you try to get it, itd be like a big account for next season.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

and im not looking to low ball it either. I want good hard earned work for next season. I got all my service agrements made up and insured, just waiting for spring to really roll out my service. id also maybe like to put some fall clean up flyers out and about for this season but its kind of late for that as the leaves are already changed here.

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How big is big? If you know that you can do it (and have the proper equipment, licensing, and insurance to do so), why not?!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

itd be about 8k for the year as far as mowing trimming, hedge trimming, spring and fall clean up. they plow on their own.

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I wonder what's with the LCO who was doing it. Do the rest of their contracts look as bad? Maybe they're having labor problems. Might be an "in" for a solo operator.

Last edited by David Haggerty; 09-24-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know what is wrong with them this year. They have been doing great work for at least 20 years that i know of, but i noticed that they are also pushing to do line stripping on parking lots and roads, as well as seam sealing. They have at least three or four guys go out and mow all their lawns and i dont know how to explain it. this person that works there told me that she has seen a couple other mowing companys there this summer because the other company didnt show up on the day they were supposed to.

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i did a bid with a guy this spring that said i have 6 propertys but i want my house done every friday morning rain or shine, and the guy that is doing it keeps showing up when he wants, so i might get that one back this spring, doesnt always pay to go with the lowest bid.

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
i did a bid with a guy this spring that said i have 6 propertys but i want my house done every friday morning rain or shine, and the guy that is doing it keeps showing up when he wants, so i might get that one back this spring, doesnt always pay to go with the lowest bid.
BAD IDEA!! Do not let a customer dictate your schedule like that I understand if he said he wanted it cut at the end of the week by the weekend that is one thing..but every friday rain or shine. What if you get he sick, or it is pouring down rain and you destroy the property. Dont take it
Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
BAD IDEA!! Do not let a customer dictate your schedule like that I understand if he said he wanted it cut at the end of the week by the weekend that is one thing..but every friday rain or shine. What if you get he sick, or it is pouring down rain and you destroy the property. Dont take it
I agree, you can't let the customer run your business. But you have to make exceptions sometimes.
I had a customer just like that. He gave me lots of business because he had several properties. He just didn't want woke up on the weekends. I'm OK with that. I even mowed it in the rain. I notice a lot of guys on southern grasses in sandy soils won't cut in the rain. It really don't matter so much on the northern grasses. Not as much as getting behind and having clippings laying on top of the grass.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
i dont know what is wrong with them this year. They have been doing great work for at least 20 years that i know of, but i noticed that they are also pushing to do line stripping on parking lots and roads, as well as seam sealing. They have at least three or four guys go out and mow all their lawns and i dont know how to explain it. this person that works there told me that she has seen a couple other mowing companys there this summer because the other company didnt show up on the day they were supposed to.
This is where I think the solo operator can shine. That's why I promote myself as "Your personal groundskeeper". Not everybody is looking for that kind of service, but when you do find them you keep them.