Register free!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Questions about wiring new home

As some of you may know, Mrs. Starry Night and I are building a new home.
The general contractor is ready to do electrical work this week.
Is there anything we should be doing now to make later outside lighting easier?
For instance, is there any reason why we should put the transformer in the garage as opposed to outside? Are transformers from most of the major manufacturers rated for indoors and out? Thanks.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have additional GFCI protected outlets one at each corner of the home , and maybe have them switched from inside locations for transformers - Holiday lighting etc.

Last edited by Richie@; 09-25-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Richie. I figured on the GFCI outlets and plan to ask that they be on dedicated breakers. Or are dedicated lines / breakers an unnecessary expense?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Thanks Richie. I figured on the GFCI outlets and plan to ask that they be on dedicated breakers. Or are dedicated lines / breakers an unnecessary expense?
I think it's well worth having them Installed and from switched locations within the home.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

With UPB controls there is no need to have the outlets switched from interior locations. I was of the opinion that 'switched outlets' do not meet code requirements, even though I have seen these installed in the past.

Many landscape lighting transformers are not rated of use indoors. It all depends on what listings they carry. You want to be careful about this. Best idea is to speak to your local electrical inspectors and see what they will and will not allow. There are transformers that state they are approved for use indoors or outside, but still do not conform to local interpretations and standards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
With UPB controls there is no need to have the outlets switched from interior locations. I was of the opinion that 'switched outlets' do not meet code requirements, even though I have seen these installed in the past.

Many landscape lighting transformers are not rated of use indoors. It all depends on what listings they carry. You want to be careful about this. Best idea is to speak to your local electrical inspectors and see what they will and will not allow. There are transformers that state they are approved for use indoors or outside, but still do not conform to local interpretations and standards.
There is no code that I know of that does not allow an outdoor GFCI receptacle to be switched , but the UPB control would be a better option.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie@ View Post
I would have additional GFCI protected outlets one at each corner of the home , and maybe have them switched from inside locations for transformers - Holiday lighting etc.
I wouldn't necessarily do them at corners, but rather in locations where it would be sensible to locate a transformer, both for running wires to certain locations and where the transformers can be hidden.

I personally would explore the possibility of locating the transformers indoors for appearance purposes, recognizing the code issues that may arise.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

However, I would recommend the transformers on the outside if you are not going to service the equipment yourself. This way your service guy can take care of issues and you don't have to be home. If you are considering every aspect of a new house wiring, consider audio. I know it is not related to this forum but once the sheetrock goes up, you are in a world of difficulty. Sonos is a good system to work with. You can control audio zones from your smartphone as well as iPad. Additionally, if your electrician can install a Lutron lighting control system you can do lighting, shades and thermostats from your phone or remote locations.
Select a scene button such as "Patio", your shades open up, the landscape lights go on and you just increased your living space.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

for holiday lighting, I would install the outlets as descibed up high, multiple breakers, with an additional one near the front door, but I would run all of these not going through switches, but a tork or intermatic multi-pole digital timer in the garage. It allows all of your holiday lighting to come on and go off at once. have a hot outlet by your front door as well for tools, vacuuming car, etc, but the timed one can be used for door wreath, front porch lit trees or halloween items, holiday yard art or inflatables, etc. a indoor digital multi pole timer can be bought for 50-60 bucks from Home Depot and can usually handle 40-60 amps at 240 volts, thus it should handle several breakers. putting one beside your breaker panel in the garage is pretty easy and should be relatively inexpensive.

I would not do the same for your landscape lighting outlet. many folks turn off landscape lights when doing Christmas lights. allow the timer inside the trans to do its job.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks everybody for all the good input.

Phil