Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Ultra Vac QDS 1000% worth it!!

I just installed a QDS system on my 50'' lazer with 23HP motor. It has got to be one of the best investments that I've made. Dollars per hour in normal maintenance already went up $15-30 per hr, which pretty much pays my 2 employees.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

How hard is it to remove the blower unit and tube if you want to change to side discharge
Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashguy207 View Post
How hard is it to remove the blower unit and tube if you want to change to side discharge
I have the Ultravac which is pretty much the same except I have a 2 bag hopper not the dump. It takes like a minute with no tools once the unit has been installed. I put mine on/take it off all the time. Some people make the mistake of tightening up a little latch that holds the vac unit against the discharge chute with a wrench so think you need tools, but you don't.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hmmm... I know which latch your talking about. I tightened it :/

I haven't tried to remove it yet (its too awesome), though all I need to do is loosen the latch, remove the impeller and pulley belt, and remove the tube. Probably 2-3 mins max and the same time to put it back on.

The bagger assembly can be removed by pulling 2 cotter pins and bolts similar to the roll cage.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I don't want to bag a lot or a particular area for whatever reason, I just open the dump mechanism, and clippings drop behind me.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
hmmm... I know which latch your talking about. I tightened it :/

I haven't tried to remove it yet (its too awesome), though all I need to do is loosen the latch, remove the impeller and pulley belt, and remove the tube. Probably 2-3 mins max and the same time to put it back on.

The bagger assembly can be removed by pulling 2 cotter pins and bolts similar to the roll cage.
Yeah you don't need to tighten the latch down. I just flip mine up to take it off and down to hold it on. It has enough tension on it from the belt to keep it from moving even though it's loose. I only bag when I have to so mine is off most of the time, but the hopper stays on.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How did it increase your dollars per hour?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD Lawnpride View Post
You dont have to leave the seat to dump the grass. Saves time by not walking around to the back, opening the hopper, and dumping each bag. You just pull a lever and all the grass falls out.

They work great if you are able to drive to your dumpsite on each property, or have a truck loader to suck everything up with. If you have to manually haul grass up into a truck or to the dumpsite then I think bags work better.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36 View Post
You dont have to leave the seat to dump the grass. Saves time by not walking around to the back, opening the hopper, and dumping each bag. You just pull a lever and all the grass falls out.

They work great if you are able to drive to your dumpsite on each property, or have a truck loader to suck everything up with. If you have to manually haul grass up into a truck or to the dumpsite then I think bags work better.
Unless you've got a big truck loader and a man dedictated to it, I think it's a little silly to dump it on the ground just to pick it up again too. But for some operations they're sweet.

There's one outfit near me that has one of them multi-body trucks. They go out with a roll-off and unload it to the ground, open the doors and drive their mowers right in to dump. They also have a landscape body for it...man it sits high up there...big long folding ramp. I watched a guy go up it no problem but I think I'd be scared the first few times.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD Lawnpride View Post

Some properties 1-1.5 man hour of blowing, some only 10 mins of blowing without the unit; now most properties take 10-15 mins to blow... Its not so much dollars per hr, but its quality that I provide, and the continued quality of lawns that will occur with continued use, all contracted accounts receive weed control/fertilization and core aeration yearly through us... Not a leaf during the summer is left in the lawn before I bought the unit. Now we don't have to blow the lawns. I only clock around 15 machine hrs a week on the mower as I mainly landscape and do detail work for our maintenance accounts. You could easily increase your productivity when you have somewhere to dump. I've cut out 1 man hour on one property with it. Normal residential probably saves 10 mins on a normal 30 min job=30% productivity increase......