Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on the Redmax 8500. The design to me just looks a little goofy where it's not quite as compact. It almost looks like if it falls over something would break easier. I've read a few reviews on it also, and the general consensus says while it does have more power then the echo 770, it's not a ton more. Also it's quite a bit more expensive. I think it's somewhere around $80 to $100 more, and there are also not as many redmax dealers around me that I know of. I know it also has vents for your back, but most people say it doesn't work quite as well as echos. The last thing for me was that the tube it just a little cheaper feeling. Most of these things are all just from what I've read and looked at pictures. My decision isn't final yet, but I don't think I'll get the redmax for now.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've read that on here about the Redmax tubes feeling cheap, but I can say that they didn't seem that way to me when I looked at them last week. I have a dealer near me that carries everything but the Shindiawa blowers. They do have everything else from Shindy though.

I already have the BR600M and I love it, but I am always looking at new equipment so I browsed around the handhelds for quite a while last week. I liked the Echo generally from reviews, and from seeing them in person, but it felt a lot heavier to me than the BR600 sitting right next to it when I put them both on, even though there's only 2 1/4 lbs difference. May have jusy been the way that it fit me or something. I'd really like to run one for an hour or so to see how I felt after that.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forget about all those specs and buy the echo since it is a 2 stroke engine that is tried and proven and will be very reliable. Those specs don't mean anything to me......big unit blows good. We only buy echo and we got the big one at the start of the season and like it alot...especially that cool air on your back.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, the reason I'm looking at the numbers is to make sure there isn't an updated model. If they did update the model, I would rather get the new one. I talked to echo customer support on the phone just now, and found out some information.

The person said there has not been an update on the blower, but from what she sees the 756 cfm and 234 mph are accurate. She said it is most likely due to new tests showing different averages, or there was a misprint in the past. I highly doubt there was a misprint that they let go for as long as they have, so it must be new testing. With that being said, maybe that is why a lot of people say the 770 blows better then the br 600 magnum. With a difference 33 mph and the little difference in cfm, there should definately be a slightly noticable difference.

The person may have no idea what she's talking about, but it makes sense.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If that was the answer she gave you, then I'm guessing she didn't know what she was talking about, but since she was customer support, she at least tried to snow you a little

I am betting the difference comes from a newer, and slightly different tube nozzle design that is slightly smaller at the tip. That would easily explain the slightly lower cfm's and high air fps.

Ask your dealer to let you run the 600, and 770 SBS and see for yourself if you can see any difference between them. The Stihl and Echo are actually so close in numbers that I seriously doubt there's any real detectable (as opposed to perceived) difference. I am betting that the differance that some report seeing is more in their minds than real because they need to believe that the choice they made was the right one. The real difference between the two machines is close enough that any variance in tuning could account for that many cfm's one way or the other etc.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me know how it works out for you. I am considering the 770 as well. Found a VERY good price on it and I am in need of a new blower.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Is that very good price online by chance or just local? I'm looking at wisesales for 469.99 total
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Echo, it blows like nothing else you can put on your back. That being said, you will have to dick around with the throttle trigger sticking a bit, nothing a bastard file can't fix by slimming it.

And when it comes to choosing between the echo/redmax/stihl it's pretty easy, first which dealer is better, then do you want to dick around with the 4-mix junk?

West Metro Property Services, Delano MN
Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

4 mix? I'm assuming 4 cycle engines? I heard you gotta take those things in for valve adjustments about every year also. = time = money.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip25521 View Post
Well, the reason I'm looking at the numbers is to make sure there isn't an updated model. If they did update the model, I would rather get the new one. I talked to echo customer support on the phone just now, and found out some information.

The person said there has not been an update on the blower, but from what she sees the 756 cfm and 234 mph are accurate. She said it is most likely due to new tests showing different averages, or there was a misprint in the past. I highly doubt there was a misprint that they let go for as long as they have, so it must be new testing. With that being said, maybe that is why a lot of people say the 770 blows better then the br 600 magnum. With a difference 33 mph and the little difference in cfm, there should definately be a slightly noticable difference.

The person may have no idea what she's talking about, but it makes sense.
You are still overthinking this....you are just buying a blower. Go to the dealer and have him crank it up and walk around his parking lot and see if it blows. We got 770 and 630 and 620 and 608 and 420 and guess what they all do a fine job. And the 770 is a 2 cycle and that is why it will be better long term than the 4 mix

Tags
echo , echo backpack blower , new from echo , pb-770