Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

cost effective organic matter

I am wondering what is the most cost-effective way to add organic matter to a newly seeded lawn? It tested very poor (.3%). I would like to avoid raking in compost if possible... wondering what works well for pelletized material and I even saw some liquid extract (thought I am not sure if i will get the desireable results there) any advice here? close suppliers in the cent IL area?

thanks,
Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no substitute for OM... OM is mass, physical material, mulch mowng the clippings is about all you can do on the cheap... be sure to use lots of water...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
I am wondering what is the most cost-effective way to add organic matter to a newly seeded lawn? It tested very poor (.3%). I would like to avoid raking in compost if possible... wondering what works well for pelletized material and I even saw some liquid extract (thought I am not sure if i will get the desireable results there) any advice here? close suppliers in the cent IL area?

thanks,
Humic acid can work short term for adding organic matter but is basically a quick fix, biochar is another that can be added. Mr barefoot on here from Louisville uses a powdered humate from New Mexico on his yards with a spreader, the powdered humate is one of the best ways to go but compost is local and sustainable

how many sq ft do you have to do
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

About 40k. I have thought about using Milorganite a few times every year, chicken pellets, liquid extracts... but I am taking into consideration the economics also. any advise?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
About 40k. I have thought about using Milorganite a few times every year, chicken pellets, liquid extracts... but I am taking into consideration the economics also. any advise?
scaling is an issue with most of the landscapers on here, they may have 1 or 2 million sq ft that they are trying to manage, 40,000 sq ft is a lot of compost to apply, you will need something you can put in a spreader and apply

what kind of equipment do you have for your property now, maybe you could rent something to pull behind your mower? let's get the equipment question answered
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
scaling is an issue with most of the landscapers on here, they may have 1 or 2 million sq ft that they are trying to manage, 40,000 sq ft is a lot of compost to apply, you will need something you can put in a spreader and apply

what kind of equipment do you have for your property now, maybe you could rent something to pull behind your mower? let's get the equipment question answered
That's a very good point to address... "How does organics work over large areas?"...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

We are running a t3k, and a 24 hp small tractor... but I have never composted a yard yet, and was wondering if there wasn't an easier way to apply something here. There has already been some synthetics (starter fert) applied here and some sulfur (starting pH 8.4) and some Mycorhyzzae with the seed. I am trying to do something a little more economical for the client
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That's a very good point to address... "How does organics work over large areas?"...
Figure 1 yard of compost per 1000 sq ft. A full acre of turf is an 18 wheeler load. Not because of size, but because of weight.

You can apply with an eco lawn top dresser, or blow it with a bark blower.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch mow maple leaves into the turf this fall...