Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Light Leads View Post
@ GreenIndustry - yes, we verify they possess an active general liability policy and request they email/fax a copy of their insurance certificate. We haven't gone as far to ensure it covers 'holiday lighting', but that's a good idea which I'll take that down as an action item... If I recall, the proper endorsement for that is "electrical apparatus" - can you verify what the exact insurance endorsement requirement would be to cover seasonal lighting (outdoor and indoor)? I think this also gives us a better opportunity to educate those who are running legit lighting businesses but aren't aware of the necessary coverages.

Thanks,
Tory Smith
ChristmasLightLeads.com
Yes, that is the correct endorsement "electrical apparatus".
I have not used service magic due to the mixed results I have heard from them regarding the christmas decorating, but you have my interest and I may give your service a try.

Bryan

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am with you Bryan. I have not got a good word to say about service magic, over the year more headache than profit, for the reasons Dave mentioned.

I did sign up on the waiting list, very interested in seeing what this has to offer.

On another note, got a call from the city I do the big project I have in, meeting with them next Thursday to discuss their budget and what we can do for them this year. You were absolutely right, now I gotta hold on. Can;t imagine what next year is gonna be when I am getting hits already. haven't advertised at all yet!!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Booked my first new job today from a mowing/ landscape customer. I may look into this as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

@Addicted:
I won't bash the competition, but I agree, it's easy to dig up mixed reviews on Service Magic on the Internet.

So yeah, I'm very excited about this holiday season. While I have helped other landscapers grow their seasonal lighting business via similar models, this is our very first season to launch the nationwide Christmas Light Leads site - so while it'll be a learning experience, I'm ready to help the holiday lighting industry get connected to better, more relevant leads.

Some companies' business models are purely commercial - so when you sign up, you'll have the option to get residential, commercial, or both.

We just finished our video that gives an overview of how the service works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzlE_UnN1QI

I am getting a lot of interest brewing around the country and I'm very open to constructive feedback on making this service a "win" all the way around (there is a red feedback button on the site where you can chime in -in addition to the customer support folks monitoring this, I personally read each and every one).

I appreciate all the "early adopters" here on Lawn Site ready to give this new service a try - we'll grow this together and I will be happy to share the product road map with you as we progress. My goal is to provide holiday lighting companies the most convenient way to keep their crews busy around the clock without it costing an arm and a leg.

Best of luck this holiday season to you all,
Tory Smith
Founder
ChristmasLightLeads.com
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tory it is really sounding great so far, I am looking forward to it.

Dennis
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am interested in it, but I feel that to differentiate yourself from other lead generating sites, I like the idea of setting standards for what contractors are on there. I think liability, workmans comp, and 3 ref. from clients should be a minimum to get listed.

we do provide a nice presentation folder with a 3 tab cut flyer on the left and proposal on the right with business card in slit, and all are full color front and back. This year I am adding a 4th tab to the cut flyer basically comparing us to our competition. many times husbands hold the 2 or 3 bids in their hands and just see the numbers. I want them to understand what they are getting into with my competition.

some folks have insurance to mow or do landscape services on the ground. Our insurance is the same as master electricians that get on the roof. we are specced out at 80 feet I believe. probably 50 foot is high enough for most 2-3 story homes. The higher you spec your insurance the more it costs, but if you have a guy fall from 40 feet and you only spec 8 feet, they will not pay the claim. we also have coverage for "professional", or if we cause a fire from our work. most liability covers property damage while on site, and if others are hurt while on site, but professional covers the job when you leave.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a quick update on the Christmas Light Leads front - we've changed our business model this year. Last year it was similar to Service Magic where it was a fee per lead. This year it's more of a Groupon model (but a heckuva lot cheaper and dedicated to holiday lighting companies) where there is no signup fee, no fee for the lead, if you close the sale, then we bill you a 10% commission (a.k.a. pay-for-performance model).

We changed this model due to a number of request we received from holiday lighting contractors who would get some leads but then the customer would never return their call. I felt it wasn't fair for contractors to be charged for something that ended up as nothing. So this commission based model is working well (we did the same type thing here in Dallas for the past 6 years and it's worked very well).

You will soon be seeing banner ads on this site that address this. Would love to see some early adopters from lawnsite.com take advantage of getting these holiday leads with no upfront costs.

For more information, see http://christmaslightleads.com/howitworks.

Tory Smith
Founder
ChristmasLightLeads.com
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

interesting. seems fair. but a lot harder to track and collect on your end. and when folks get a random 10,000 dollar job, that $1000 fee is going to seem high. But I pay that referral fee already to current customers so I see the value in it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

David,
Yes there are some risks, however, we have some measures in place to reduce the odds of lighting companies being less than honest (e.g. must agree to a non-circumvent agreement, a 1 strike you're out policy if you don't report closed sales, customer surveys, etc.). If someone is going to cheat on a company that provided them business, then we add them to a blacklist and ensure they can't take advantage again (not to mention possibility of legal action).

And the max commission we charge is only $500 - so even if you close a $25,000 job based on our lead, we're not charging the full 10% ($2500) but rather only $500.

Ethical and honest business is the only way to go and we're doing our part to instill those values.

http://christmaslightleads.com/howitworks

Tory Smith
Founder
ChristmasLightLeads.com
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tory - What about the situation where we provide a design and price for a CLL lead and they decide not to go with us. If they call us next season and decide to do it then, are they still considered one of your leads? This is common for us.

Or what about if we provide the customer a $2,500 design and they decide to do a portion this season and add the rest next season. Is CLL commission for this years sales or should we report the fallowing years sales to you the fallowing year?