Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

fall advertising

I am curious of just how many of you guys advertise fall clean up services specificly to pick up the aditional work.

I know most people as do we run your regulars into the fall clean ups but do you ever look at getting customers come fall.

we are planning 20,000 flyers just for clean up and we are looking for 200 additional clean ups.
I am curious what you guys are expecting out of the season
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nope I avoid that at all costs hard enough getting ours done before an early snow complicates things. And they always want estimates and they always think if you came out to do one your be free to do their clean up tomorrow and they get pissed if its over 3 days. Mean while I have lawn accounts that sign up for fall in March and will wait 3-5 weeks for their turn. Wouldn't be right to not get to theirs because I squandered a day or 2 doing clean ups for some new client I wasn't likely to get a lawn account from anyways.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you distribute 20,000 flyers? I supposed you live in a bigger city than I but, dang that is lot of flyers.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't advertise any fall cleanup, I hate doing it. Around here no one wants to pay what its worth and I don't have a vacuum or dump trailer so I stay away. If I were set up right I may be inclined to do it for top dollar.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kelley`s - We get lucky when it comes to snow it is late Janurary early February before we get any snow that last over a day or 2, but the lack of snow also makes the cleanups needed to keep crews busy.

We offer pre-seson offers and calls after that indicated date will not be honored . we give them Novenber 15th to call so we can schedule the services Weare looking for a few extra clean ups come Janurary

Andy31 we have alot of crews over the state so even though it is alot of flyers in total it is less then 1000 flyers per individual location. if we got all predicted 200 new accounts it could be as low as 10 accounts that a location would actually havetodeal with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I typically run a newspaper add for fall cleanups and snow plowing around the first of November for 6 weeks. I typically pick up a handful of one time cleanups. Some turn out to be good candidates for regular service, some don't. My capacity for one timers isn't very large anyway...I'm pretty busy with my regulars.

I don't chase leaf piles though...tried that and it turned out to be a pain...people don't seem to understand that a leaf piles is not a 200 foot long row of leaves along the curb, or a pile of leaves mixed with brush and trash in the far corner of their back yard.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Sponsor

Hey - just a quick note about fall clean up... We have the perfect product for fall clean up flyers that also keeps your name in your customers view - it's our Seasonal Service Calendar. It's distributed by mail or while you distribute your Band-It Door Hanger. Because it is completely customizable, it allows you to give your customer a calendar that includes a check list of all the services they will need from you during the upcoming season. Our design is really handy for the customer as well because it has space for them to fill out the date you gave them when they called to schedule the service with you.
You can distribute this at the same time as you distribute your standard door hanger with our innovative Band-It design that allows you to distribute two ads at a time. Right now you can get 1,000 4.25 x 11 Door Hangers to put your standard advertising information on and 1,000 of the 6x9 Seasonal Calendars including Stick-It so they can post it on their fridge & be prepared to call you for the upcoming services... including design & freight for $255.
Go to http://www.adeasprinting.com/doorhan...ervicecalendar for more information OR
Request samples to be mailed to you at www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples so you can check them out

We are also running an awesome special for our Door Hangers that won't fall off that includes free design & free shipping for as low as $99 for 1,000 or $189 for 2,500.

Call or email me for more conversation 866-778-4254 - ext 200

Thanks!
Robin Christopherson
Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
866-778-4254 ext 200
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

darryl - If you do not mind I am curious to know what the difference is to you a 200' row and a pile . Honestly we do not revome piles or any clean up a home owner has prepaired due to the fact my guys do not know what is in there but if its a pile they pushed up they will pick it up , Why do you stay away from piles? are my guys doing it wrong ? is a 200' row not going to be the same amount of leaves no matter if its rowed or piled help me out becasue I know you guys have alot of leaves up there sir.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

XLS - To pick up a pile you pull up and suck it up. To pick up a 200 foot long row you either have to rake/push/blow it all into a pile or 2 and then pick it up or move the truck a dozen times and then clean up the whole area. It seems that a lot of homeowners have the best intentions of making the piles but lack the time and stamina to get it done. It would probably be quicker/easier/cheaper if I had just picked it up with my mowers than dealing with a 200 foot row of leaves that are now all wet, but would have dried out if they were a thin layer on the lawn. And not knowing what's in there is another reason I don't "chase piles".
Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We advertise for clean-ups, We take fall time serious and try and make as much money as we can in the small window we have. We typically run 4-5 guys 3 guys on back pack blowers and 2 guys on the hurricanes.

We usually do between 125-150 Clean-ups a season. With a minimum of $250 for a standard cleanup. Which with 5 guys would usually take about an hour to complete.

If you do it right you can easily make 40-50k in about a month.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here