Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
We advertise for clean-ups, We take fall time serious and try and make as much money as we can in the small window we have. We typically run 4-5 guys 3 guys on back pack blowers and 2 guys on the hurricanes.

We usually do between 125-150 Clean-ups a season. With a minimum of $250 for a standard cleanup. Which with 5 guys would usually take about an hour to complete.

If you do it right you can easily make 40-50k in about a month.
You hit it on the head... lots of quick money to be made on leaf cleanup... Especially, once the client realizes that the alternative - means dead grass by Spring...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You hit it on the head... lots of quick money to be made on leaf cleanup... Especially, once the client realizes that the alternative - means dead grass by Spring...
Yea well its even easier in my area because we live in a really wooded area of CT, So most home owners simply can not handle the mass amount of leaves that fall in a typical lawn.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Yea well its even easier in my area because we live in a really wooded area of CT, So most home owners simply can not handle the mass amount of leaves that fall in a typical lawn.
Exactly... I have no idea what most of these guys are talking about, with their "Charge" for this - or - "Charge" for that...

If I don't clear the grass every 2 weeks they got lots of dead grass... !!!

To me if dead grass isn't an issue, why even do a fall cleanup special...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone is different. For my business, we focus on maintenance contracting. Advertising for Fall clean-ups has never worked out well, and seldom do we do one-time jobs such as leaf clean up. We charge for an estimate, however, it is very difficult to estimate. You provide the rates for clean up and it could have rained the night before or be an extremely windy day which in the fall is often. Also, we operate a schedule of 90 days. My best advice is to offer fall clean up service programs, you come every two weeks starting mid-October through the first of December. Consistency is the best way for clean ups. One time clean up scheduling is just a complete head ache. We always have seemed to get the short end of the stick. Customer comes home by 5:00 and there are leaves (of course we used to take pictures) or they are not willing to pay for the service at our rates because they are going to fall again on the ground. We are a premier landscape firm, in no means are we the cheapest, nor outrageous but the one-time cleanups those clients do not care about our values, brand, or service marks for excellence--and those dealings make difficult to bring to them your reputation and maintain it. We are half maintenance contracting and half design/build. Our fall marketing is focused on landscaping projects, as it is the best time to install new plant material-and we will include fall clean-up in our newsletter to existing clients, but try and avoid the one-timers.

Best of luck.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been hustling this whole week and will continue until all my fall services doorhangers are gone! By then I hope to have the phone ringing off the hook. Advertising all services but irri blowouts, clean ups, aeration, & dethatching (yes, people want it done in the fall) in particular. Trying to find the neighborhoods with decent sized trees to have a decent sized clean up but not too old of neighborhoods where they don't have an irri system and the homeowners don't give a sh!t about their lawn.

Anyone have any insight on where they've had better luck with advertising, whether it's the brand new developments with the more younger crowd moving in or the older neighborhoods with the elderly living?
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I either work solo or have my wife as a helper but its mostly solo. I don't advertise cleanups but keep pretty busy with my regulars. I could take on more but I like having some room if weather gets rotten. The shorter days make it tough sometimes.
I admire you for looking for 200 more cleans. Holy man thats crazy. I don't know how many trees you are talking but up here there are mountains of leaves to deal with. Good Luck to you and your crew.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Years ago I just did my regulars. Last year I decided to advertise in a couple local papers. I got a nice handful of work and made some very good money cleaning up leaves, while getting a few regular season customers on board as well.

That lead me to pick up some better equipment leaf loader and more powerful blowers. So this year I'm going to hit it even harder! I know I can do better than last year.

facebook.com/jwslandscaping
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
How do you distribute 20,000 flyers? I supposed you live in a bigger city than I but, dang that is lot of flyers.
There's a guy who has been handing out SNOW contracts since september. There are more fliers in the grass,woods and sides of mail boxes than i've ever seen. Then come october he remembers its fall and not winter and starts to pass out fliers. I think this guy passes out more fliers than actually works. Last time i talked to him he said he had just sent out 4 guys to flier neighborhoods. If he wants to do ALL cleanups for $60 bucks when they should be triple if not more than that, he can have them!

So im sure he can pass out 20,000 fliers.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Andy31- We actually handed out far more flyers since the thread started . We handed out flyers at 3 major yard sales which was about 20 miles of people in bumper to bumper traffic.
Today 2 guys handed out 3500 flyers in one spot in a yard sale from 9 am to 11:30 am next year we are planning 6000 for the event.

We are planning for a booth at a weekend flea market and again at "The fiddlers convention" at athens for work at our Huntsville and surrounding nothern Alabama locations. By simply having a table and equipment at the events it should lead to over $60,000 in work over fall and the next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

cuttin-to-the-max_ what is the going rate for a job??? screw what you hear on here and what others tell you in the real world and tell me how you know the rate of a service .
just playing but seriously there is No going rate it is haves and haves nots, you do it at your rate others do it at their rate there is no right rate.

If I was doing or ask you to do a $60.00 fall clean up and you did it what would the specs be sir?? I know its different to me it is a 2nd week follow up on a small lawn with 2 silver leaf maples spaced 24` apart 12 ` off the drive way so 1 man blowing and one man on a vac back in beside the trees blow a few stray leaves and are completed in 12 minutes.

so as my rates stand at $12.00 per 1000 sqft with a $60.00 gate minimum I feel you may be more expensive but also live in a more expensive place to live then me and We are both happy with our own prices.
Posted via Mobile Device