Register free!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My accounts look like Disney World!

I been wanting to do a thread list like this for a while, others can add their input too. New guys you take it as advice, ask questions or whatever.

So for my company the way we have been picking up accounts and setting ourselves apart from the rest besides a license and insurance is our attention to detail. I decided to lean more towards high detail properties and away from just volume cutting. This is my list, kinda disorganized one though as I'm pretty beat from today.

1. Mowing, cut high, change patterns/directions, dbl cut if needed. keep speeds down with z's. No ruts period.

2. Hedges, we always keep them tight, neat and trimmed/prune every other visit, never get outta control. (much easier taking little off at a time and almost no mess, a guy can buzz right through them). We also take in consideration, plant health and growth patterns too.

3. Beds are always kept up as far as weeds and leaves, hand pull and roundup weekly, less weeds = less chemical per property, stay on top and you won't have to dump gallons upon gallons on a property, much healthier for turf and ornamental plants too . Rake out beds as necessary.

4. Trash, sticks & debris picked every visit.

I will add more later but for now these are the main things we focus on for landscape maintenance.

Last edited by South Florida Lawns; 09-29-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I been wanting to do a thread list like this for a while, others can add their input too. New guys you take it as advice, ask questions or whatever.

So for my company the way we have been picking up accounts and setting ourselves apart from the rest besides a license and insurance is our attention to detail. I decided to lean more towards high detail properties and away from just volume cutting. This is my list, kinda disorganized one though as I'm pretty beat from today.

1. Mowing, cut high, change patterns/directions, dbl cut if needed. keep speeds down with z's. No ruts period.

2. Hedges, we always keep them tight, neat and trimmed/prune every other visit, never get outta control. (much easier taking little off at a time and almost no mess, a guy can buzz right through them). We also take in consideration, plant health and growth patterns too.

3. Beds are always kept up as far as weeds and leaves, hand pull and roundup weekly, less weeds = less chemical per property, stay on top and you won't have to dump gallons upon gallons on a property, much healthier for turf and ornamental plants too . Rake out beds as necessary.

I will add more later but for now these are the main things we focus on for landscape maintenance.
These are the keys to doing high quality work. A lot of companies around here do the once per month hackback so the hedges look like crap all month and then the cleanup is crazy. I will add though, certain plants will get pruned less frequently bc they don't have as much vegetative growth, or they look better hand pruned. But what you listed are great points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like it, add proper pest management.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I like it, add proper pest management.
This I feel is just as important as the above mentioned details in gaining clients and keeping them happy. If you can ID potential problems and inform the HO or the chemical company themselves it goes a long way. If you can work with the L & O operator it makes both of your jobs easier and the end result better. The homeowner is happy because they trust you. Trust goes a long way in this industry with a lot of folks. You develop a relationship that will last with the owner and the L & O operator hopefully teaches you a few things along the way to make you stand out even more.

To go along with this...add educating the customer when needed and even if it means informing them of things the do not want to hear. They complain about your L & O - inform them of why things most likely are not working out for their property. Are they watering too much to little? Do they not have proper coverage with the system?

The perfect pyramid for the property looking its best.

1. Proper Care from you in cutting/trimming habits.
2. Proper Irrigation
3. Proper Nutrition and pest suppression

Take any one of those out and the property will never look as good as it potentially can. Therefore I recommend networking with a good irrigation company and L & O company unless you can provide all those services properly and legally.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cut high as well. But the neighbors from the north that move down here think the grass looks better short. I see it again and again people cutting St.Aug shorter than 3.5 inches. Alot of my neighbors love short grass. My grass is cut the highest in the neighborhood and looks excellent. I tell people to cut high all the time but they never listen.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds great but you need pictures to back it up!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Subscribed, for the pictures of Disney World!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post

and keep the blades sharp...every day..also control the watering properly as well as fertilizing and pest control...
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
These are the keys to doing high quality work. A lot of companies around here do the once per month hackback so the hedges look like crap all month and then the cleanup is crazy. I will add though, certain plants will get pruned less frequently bc they don't have as much vegetative growth, or they look better hand pruned. But what you listed are great points.
Posted via Mobile Device
its all in what the client wants to spend...we do both the full detail and also the monthly cutbacks....its up to each client as to their budget...we sell time basically...i personally would rather just do the higher end...but we have quite a few low end routes that do pretty good....
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
its all in what the client wants to spend...we do both the full detail and also the monthly cutbacks....its up to each client as to their budget...we sell time basically...i personally would rather just do the higher end...but we have quite a few low end routes that do pretty good....
I see it as the same wether you prune every other week or once/month. The once/month is going to result in a bigger cleanup.
Posted via Mobile Device