Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I hated my soil science class! Lol. But the ID classes aren't too bad. The trees one (I'm in it right now, actually have an ornamentals ID quiz tmrw) helps out quite a bit with being able to identify trees when doing estimates, etc, they're hard to learn but worth it. I love my hardscape class I'm currently in, my teacher owns a company himself (Waterstone landscaping.com) and have learned a TON! But I want to follow through with accting because the knowledge learned will help me with my biz in a great way as well as if things go south or both of my biz's run themselves and I could obtain a higher level accting job and make a ton of money. In reality the only thing holding me back is the damn calculus classes and obtaining more accts so I can buy a new truck and a house (planning on doing so asap with my buddy who I'm starting that second biz with), but the futures looking bright.
Posted via Mobile Device
What is the class structure like? How many times do you meet per week, for how long? What are your ID classes like? Lecture, hands on with the plants? What are your quizes and test like and how often for the ID classes?

Anyways, i ordered some company apparel tonight after i have gone way to long without it. I got the final payment for my last irrigation job and decided to reinvest some money in some good uniforms. I bought around 60 long sleeve t's 60 short sleeve t's, 12 hoodies, 12 zip up hoodies, hat's , winter hats, and a bunch of other small stuff like pens and stuff.

Here are some PDFS of the apparel.
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-13-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lovin that tag line. Trademark that ASAP!

I really don't remember the structure of soil science as it was last spring and.only went until April but I think it was 3 times a week and an hour and a half each.
The ID classes are lecture and we don't really do anything hands on except looking at trees on campus. The ID quizes kick my ass, knowing the Latin names is what kills me, its usually a picture of the tree and then close up pic of buds and foliage. I do good on the written exams, where you need to know more of the details about the trees such as preferred location, diseases, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Lovin that tag line. Trademark that ASAP!

I really don't remember the structure of soil science as it was last spring and.only went until April but I think it was 3 times a week and an hour and a half each.
The ID classes are lecture and we don't really do anything hands on except looking at trees on campus. The ID quizes kick my ass, knowing the Latin names is what kills me, its usually a picture of the tree and then close up pic of buds and foliage. I do good on the written exams, where you need to know more of the details about the trees such as preferred location, diseases, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am the same way with my woody ID, I know what the plant looks like and the common name but some of the latin names are just way out there and I always get screwed on them. How was soil sciences? I have that next semester. What other landscape related classes are you taking?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslawnservice View Post
I am the same way with my woody ID, I know what the plant looks like and the common name but some of the latin names are just way out there and I always get screwed on them. How was soil sciences? I have that next semester. What other landscape related classes are you taking?
The one latin I know for sure is Magnolia Stellata, that's about it, pretty much because we just had an ID quiz on the first section of ornamentals and that was one latin that was easy to remember.
It sucked, not gonna sugar coat it. It wasn't terrible but definitely not my favorite, it depends on the teacher though, mine was weird.
The other classes I have are Turf & Grounds Management (have to have one turf elective), Woody Plants 1, Hardscapes & retaining walls, and Sports Turf Management (had to add this one to maintain full time status and because I started last spring semester, my scheduling was a$$ backwards and I haven't followed the general schedule for the program but I'll make it work.) I'll be setting up next semester's schedule starting this week.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The one latin I know for sure is Magnolia Stellata, that's about it, pretty much because we just had an ID quiz on the first section of ornamentals and that was one latin that was easy to remember.
It sucked, not gonna sugar coat it. It wasn't terrible but definitely not my favorite, it depends on the teacher though, mine was weird.
The other classes I have are Turf & Grounds Management (have to have one turf elective), Woody Plants 1, Hardscapes & retaining walls, and Sports Turf Management (had to add this one to maintain full time status and because I started last spring semester, my scheduling was a$$ backwards and I haven't followed the general schedule for the program but I'll make it work.) I'll be setting up next semester's schedule starting this week.

Thanks for the kudos on the shirts, i think they are going to turn out great, i wanted some good color combos so i can wear them other than work. \

Regarding to the classes: Thats the problem. The hort. program i am in isnt set up correctly IMO. i would love to have class three times a week to givem e more time to review the subject matter each week. We have it once a week, for 4 hours. We have a quiz at the beginning of each class and then get lectured on each of the next 10 plants/shrubs/trees for 3 and a half hours with a 15 min break. There is no time during the week to ask questions or talk with a teacher. Pretty much have 12 quiz's throughout the semester worth 75% of your grade, and then after the first 6 quiz's there is a test on those 60 plants, then again at the end of the semester on the last 60 plants. AND THE CLASSES ARE ONLY 3 CREDITS, so you have to take 4 classes per semester to be considered full time and 5 classes to graduate in the time requirement.

Magnolia Stellata : Star Magnolia

I think my favorite latin names are Thornless Honeylocust: Gleditsia triacanthos inermis

and i like the birches too. River Birch, European white birch, Paper Birch, Yellow Birch, Mountain Paper Birch and Cherry Birch. I like all the latin names to these! Haha

I just signed up for classes last week. Next semester i am going to be taking a computer class(general ed) Comp II(general ed), Accounting 1820(for finance pre req), Journalism III(gen ed), and Nursery Practices II

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Classes for accounting meet 8-9:15a.m M/W/F
COMP II is all online
Journalism is 10-11:30 T/TH
Accounting meets 9:30-11:20 M/W
Nursery Practices II is 6-9:30 on Tuesday at night

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What'd you pay for the shirts and who did you go through?

That is f@cked up! Where do you go to school? I'm not really a fan of the 3-4 hr classes, I'm falling asleep after the first hour and a half.
Right now I have this set up:
Monday - Turf & Grounds management 8-9am, woody plants 1 9-10, hardscapes 10-11, & sports turf 11-12
Tues - Turf & grounds management 8-9, woody 9-10, hardscapes 10-12 (lab day, basically giving us more time to get stuff done, the sports tues class still goes but I miss it and the teachers are fine with it as they're all in the same dept.)
Wed - sports turf 11-12, the class started in Oct so we meet 4 days a week.
Thurs - turf and grounds 8-9, woody 9-10, and sports turf 11-12.

The honey locust Latin is also my teacher's favorite lol.

All my generals are done for my associates in Hort, not sure what classes ill be taking next sem, ill take a look tmrw morning. I'm deff gonna try to get into an accounting class also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
What'd you pay for the shirts and who did you go through?

That is f@cked up! Where do you go to school? I'm not really a fan of the 3-4 hr classes, I'm falling asleep after the first hour and a half.
Right now I have this set up:
Monday - Turf & Grounds management 8-9am, woody plants 1 9-10, hardscapes 10-11, & sports turf 11-12
Tues - Turf & grounds management 8-9, woody 9-10, hardscapes 10-12 (lab day, basically giving us more time to get stuff done, the sports tues class still goes but I miss it and the teachers are fine with it as they're all in the same dept.)
Wed - sports turf 11-12, the class started in Oct so we meet 4 days a week.
Thurs - turf and grounds 8-9, woody 9-10, and sports turf 11-12.

The honey locust Latin is also my teacher's favorite lol.

All my generals are done for my associates in Hort, not sure what classes ill be taking next sem, ill take a look tmrw morning. I'm deff gonna try to get into an accounting class also.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know its truely ****** up. So pretty much you have mon, tues and thurs full day of class(4 hrs or so) and then wed and fri you have a light day?

I like your schedule. The 3-4 hour classes are definitley a deal breaker though. It seems like most of the classes in my program are like that. Thats the reason i am switching to finance at a real university next semester.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i got the shirts and appareal thorugh Bluecotton.com I used a coupon code too and got 5% off my entire order. I ordered around 150 items. Sweatshirts were at 23 ish, t shirts were at around 7 ish, hats were at 10 ish, then i ordered the pens and giveaways at queensboro and got a emboridered polo/button up shirt from them as well.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have class on Fridays, its pretty sweet, that's all across the Hort program of no classes on fridays but next semester that won't be the case I'm sure kuz we have some classes that go from Jan to may and Jan to April, then there's a couple 6 week classes that go from April 1 to may 12-15, it sucks ass! 30 class hours to get 48 class hours worth of work done
Posted via Mobile Device