Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quali-Pro Fipronil

I noticed an advertisement on here this evening for 8 new post patent products quali-pro is offering. Fipronil caught my eye because it is the same AI as what Bayer Top Choice has. Bayer has pretty much had the market cornered up until now and could pretty much name their price(and for the most part did). Has any one used this "generic version yet? Has anyone checked on pricing?

We've gotten a little rain and some cooler temps here lately and the Fire Ants are going Ape Sh!t. Just wondering if anyone has any additional info at this time. Thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Top choice works great in my area with the clay soils. There are some downsides though, price is the main one and the time it takes to start working. Maybe now the price will come down. I seem to be having great luck with Bifinthrin on irrigated areas and Advion on non irrigaited areas and both work much faster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Fipronil is in the EPA's cross-hairs.

They already pulled corn off the "Regent" label, which really throttled back production. "Over-n-Out" was coming off the shelves last I heard.

6 mth or greater residual = EPA hit list
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonturf View Post

They already pulled corn off the "Regent" label, which really throttled back production. "Over-n-Out" was coming off the shelves last I heard.

I thought I heard somewhere that in 2012 they would be pulling the homeowner version (over and out) off the shelves and making it a RUP product only that you would need a license to purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonturf View Post

Yes, I noticed in Lowe's this summer that the over-n-out they offer no longer contains fipronil but instead has bifenthrin. It still has "6 month control" plastered on the bag. I read a few articles and found that as usual, the homeowner mentality of a little does good so a lot does great prevailed along with off-target apps and fipronil was being found in waterways and impoundments. We can't keep anything that actually works because the damned chemical companies aren't satisfied with selling things to licensed professionals only. They think they have to sell it to "clowns" as well as the people who actually know what they are doing. If I'm not mistaken, fipronil is now an RUP. Hopefully, the EPA will be satisfied with keeping it in that class and not eliminating it completely. I priced Top Choice the other day and it almost $50 less per 50# bag for me than it was back in the Spring. Maybe Bayer is trying to sweeten the deal now that they no longer have exclusive rights.
Turfdawg, it works great here too. I have several that it's been almost 2 yrs since I've applied and still no Fire Ants. Back when I got "Top Choice Certified" I read where Texas A&M was boasting 87% control after 18 months with one app. When I was with the FD, I went to a Heavy Rescue class there and saw Fire Ant mounds the size of truck hoods .One poke with a stick and those little bastards came pouring out from everywhere by the thousands. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Extremely dangerous to the unsuspecting for sure.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't heard anything involving the Fipronil but it doesn't surprise me that something will be done about the product. Merit has the same soil value, so without getting into more depth with the differences of the two, why don't they just take them all away.
Fipronil........Termidor as it is commonly used in the pest control division is the bomb on the termite. It has been used for years now!! Every time the industry allows these pro products to emerge into the consumer market...........this crap happens. Too many people abuse the label and cause problems for everyone else. I could care less that they appropriate it to the RUP sector as I carry credentials to purchase it anyway. If it is used wisely...........where no light is permitted, such as crawl spaces and drill hole slab work,etc where no human contact is allowed otherwise and animal contact then keep this product where it does the most benefit.