Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

My Journey Begins @ the IHEO School

Okay so in three weeks I will be starting my new career by training at the Interior Heavy Equipment Operator School in Winfield, BC.

I'm going to be keeping a photo journal of everything I do from beginning until the end, whenever that may be. I'll be updating here and another Heavy Equipment forum as well as on Twitter.

I hope that a fresh perspective from the ground floor will at the very least be a little bit interesting for you guys. Please I welcome all criticism and advice throughout the whole process!

Looking forward to this!!

This will be my playground for 10 weeks starting on October 17.

And a few of the machines that I'll be Operating.

This will be my ride on the first day. Hitachi 135

This is a 200, but they have up to a Hitachi 350.

Cat D6M

Kumatsu WA380

Cat Motor Grader, not sure the model.

Cat 725 ART

Last edited by DTEP; 09-30-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That grader looks like a 140 the same as the us army uses.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with that, I know a few people young and old that went through the same process and either they are still looking for a better job or they are getting bounced around from one company to the next.
Personally I am not a big fan of HEO schools, you get charged an arm and a leg for 2 months of time that you could get for $15 an hour on the job for a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm all for education, but you could also consider the apprentice program offered by the International Union of Operating Engineers. I believe most locals have a training center.

My last two operators started with me as apprentices, and now are full fledged operators. The training center, here anyways, is a good resource for upgrading licenses and keeping current. The craneiacs have been working long hours to try and pass the federal license, and without the training center that would be an expensive test to attempt as an individual. I'm thankful to only have dirt people with that test looming.

I've also sent my operators to Cat school. We bought a new dozer in '03 and just had it dropped off in the yard. My lead operator came to me and said 'it's time to retire, I can't figure out how to move the damn thing!' Once I got done talking him off the edge, we sent him and the rest of the gang to Caterpillar Operating Training at Edwards. It was Cat specific, but at the time we were 100% Cat, so it made sense. Everyone got certificates to hang in the lobby and more importantly, confidence in themselves and the machines. I'd use it without hesitation today again if I were bringing on a new operator. I also take advantage of Liebherr factory training as part of our process.

The number one comment I've gotten back is "I didn't know I could do that with the machine" and second is 'I didn't think the machine could do that.' I'm thankful my guys aren't ******bags who would act like they knew more than the instructors. They recognized there was tons of experience there that could help them, and they used it. 'We always 'dun 'dun it that way' is fine, but at learn learn someone elses' way and try it before dismissing it.

Good luck with your training, there is more out there, please find it and use it. Experience paired with the confidence education provides is a good combo in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I know there are a lot of people on the boards that dismiss going to training school. It is a heck of a lot of money, but knowing how to do something the right way, and how to use a machine properly will give an employer much more confidence to put me in a machine. I feel like it will work out better than, well let me have a try on your paying job, if I mess it up you can just do it again for me. I've talked with a few grads and they all say they've had good results with employment after. They feed a lot of guys up to Northern Alberta as there's such high demand there, and also things are picking up around Vancouver.

The reason I am making the jump into a HEO school is because I needed to start a second career. I've been working in film/tv for 9 years, and this year has been absolutely awful. Easily the worst year that I've ever had for amount of work. I needed to pull the trigger on something, so I chose something that I know that I will enjoy doing! Hell, I feel like I've never worked a day in my life because I pursue what I love to do. I love operating machines and I feel like is going to be another one of those things.

http://twitter.com/DTEMover
Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you right now, you won't do well, when the economy tanks, us equipment operators are the first to go.
It's also like having a carpenter go through medical school, that just doesn't work out sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderthud View Post
Good luck with your training, there is more out there, please find it and use it. Experience paired with the confidence education provides is a good combo in my opinion.
I will definitely look out for more ways to build up the skills and experience to back up my work. I've always been one to take advantage of every opportunity. My plan as soon as I'm done school is to head wherever there is work, no matter where that may be. I want to put in the time to repay the schooling as well as build up the hours and experience needed to start hunting for a job closer to home. Speaking of which, it will be very having more options for places to live. As a film guy there really are only two places in Canada that were viable for work, Toronto or Vancouver. I've lived in both now, but am really looking forward to finding a nice small town that I can call home eventually.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well whatever, report back in a year and see what happens, you have the typical green horn attitude I have seen too often and it will be broken in a year, one guy I know is still paying off his loan from the HEO school, and he worked for us about 10 years ago, he is now running fork lifts in a ware house, same attitude and skills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
I'll tell you right now, you won't do well, when the economy tanks, us equipment operators are the first to go.
It's also like having a carpenter go through medical school, that just doesn't work out sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the positivity Ron. Equipment isn't foreign to me, my gramps worked for his whole life operating and eventually distributing heavy equipment for logging in Northern Ontario. When I was young he would tell me that if I could start it than he would let me drive it.

If you want to talk unstable job security, I don't think it gets worse than the film industry. The longest job i've had this year was 2 weeks. There is easily 10/1 people for every position, and everyone is willing to undercut just to get a piece.

When the economy is in the shitter, the government pumps money into construction, road building, things to get people working. They've never put cash into the film industry. And what's worse is it hinges on the American economy as well. 95% of the money in Vancouver film work is from the states. Now with the state that they are in right now, and our dollar keeps climbing over theirs, there is no incentive to pump money across the border.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

CN Rail is hiring single people willing to relocate, you might want to check them out instead. They pay your education costs and tell you where to go.
Posted via Mobile Device