Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Ford F350 6.0 Powerstroke

I have a chance to buy a 2003 Ford F350 diesel for a good price. $8000 with 110,000 miles on it. Anyway I never owned a diesel before and am not to familiar with them. So my question is, Does anyone have experience with these engines? How do they hold up? Good power? hows the gas mileage? Thanks for any input I greatly appreciate it.
Ferris DD 61"
Ferris DD 48"
Honda HRR216
Snapper 21" Hi Vac
Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki and Echo Handhelds
Solo Back Pack Sprayer
6.5x 16 Tandem Trailer
7x18 Dovetail Equipment Trailer
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm actually looking into buying one as well. Diesels last longer than gas, their lifespan ranges between 300-400K miles, as far as fuel economy, I'm not good with the numbers, but diesel prices can be higher tha gas, or lower than gas. But diesels are slightly more efficient then a typical gas engine.

It seems like a good deal, maybe some others will chime in here eventually

does the f350 have duallys?

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

that's the first year of the 6 liter engine that a lot of people had problems with...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I heard they lasted for ever versus gas engines. It is not a dually. It is a regular cab 8ft box which around my areas are kinda tough to find because everyone keeps them. There is one small rust spot on fender (surface) and there is fresh brakes and tires on it. I have o drive out and see it this weekend so ill know then if its something good or not. But it does seem like a good deal..
Ferris DD 61"
Ferris DD 48"
Honda HRR216
Snapper 21" Hi Vac
Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki and Echo Handhelds
Solo Back Pack Sprayer
6.5x 16 Tandem Trailer
7x18 Dovetail Equipment Trailer
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 06 6.0. Alot of people will say they are junk but thats not true. They have their problems like all the other big names have or have had. The problem with these is the emissions equipment. Egr valve, egr cooler, and head bolts. I would recommend an egr cooler delete kit and a coolant filtration kit. Both can be had for around 400 bucks and are not a bad install. These will help in the fight against this motors flaws listed above. As long as you do not intend to hot rod the truck this should be a good truck with the small fixes above. If you do intend to add performance then look to spend another 2000 to 3000 if not more on head studs and new gaskets as well as the egr delete and coolant filter. i know im probably talking you out of it but they really are good trucks with proper maintenance they will last for a long time like the rest. Sounds like a good deal. A few things to have checked before hand are coolant condition. Look for the presence of fuel or water. This can be an indication of a blown head gasket. No biggie if you have an extra 2 grand to fix and upgrade and after the upgrade the 6.0 can be bullet proof.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
No biggie if you have an extra 2 grand to fix and upgrade and after the upgrade the 6.0 can be bullet proof.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bulletproof? That's a term I've never heard used in conjunction with the 6.0, rightfully so.

I have 3, they are the biggest POS diesel out there. Sure Cummins had a few issues as did Duramax, but nothing like the ongoing problems with the 6.0's.

I also have 3 7.3's and have had very, very few issues with them. All relatively inexpensive compared to the 6.0, and if not hotrodding, absolutely no mods needed to make them bulletproof.

My personal 350 has had 10 injectors now. Been using synthetic 5W40 for almost 3 years. Fuel from the same source the majority of the time. 2 turbo boots as well.

My 550 lost the fuel pump at a whopping 56K. Still has some bad injectors. And turbo boots replaced. In addition to the other assorted BS problems they have had.

Another 550 has had 3 turbos, EGR, I don't know how many injectors. If I plug in the EGR I can't even spin the tires in snow. Unplug and it's OK. Has turbo lag like you can't believe.

Why is it that I need to spend $2-5000 to make these bulletproof? Why are the Cummins, Duramax and 7.3's bulletproof without spending that much money? Sorry, but your reply in and of itself says that these engines are crap. If you need to do that much work to them to make them reliable, they aren't reliable.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Obviously i never said they were reliable from the factory... My 06 has 85,000 on the clock now and i had issues in the beginning but after a couple grand like i said i can put a 250hp tune on it and run it like i stole it and havent had a problem since the upgrades. Just sayin. Sorry for your misfortunes. Cummins has terrible trans,and the 24v cummins vp44 injection pump/lift pump issues, duramax had huge injector issues, so what gives. I simply stated problems and easy fixes for those problems. Its out of warranty anyway so whats he got to loose by putting a few bucks in it to make it last at a decent price.
Posted via Mobile Device
With so many problems, why buy so many? Why not switch to a non"pos"?

Last edited by dieseltech; 09-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Bulletproof? That's a term I've never heard used in conjunction with the 6.0, rightfully so.

I have 3, they are the biggest POS diesel out there. Sure Cummins had a few issues as did Duramax, but nothing like the ongoing problems with the 6.0's.

I also have 3 7.3's and have had very, very few issues with them. All relatively inexpensive compared to the 6.0, and if not hotrodding, absolutely no mods needed to make them bulletproof.

My personal 350 has had 10 injectors now. Been using synthetic 5W40 for almost 3 years. Fuel from the same source the majority of the time. 2 turbo boots as well.

My 550 lost the fuel pump at a whopping 56K. Still has some bad injectors. And turbo boots replaced. In addition to the other assorted BS problems they have had.

Another 550 has had 3 turbos, EGR, I don't know how many injectors. If I plug in the EGR I can't even spin the tires in snow. Unplug and it's OK. Has turbo lag like you can't believe.

Why is it that I need to spend $2-5000 to make these bulletproof? Why are the Cummins, Duramax and 7.3's bulletproof without spending that much money? Sorry, but your reply in and of itself says that these engines are crap. If you need to do that much work to them to make them reliable, they aren't reliable.
How often do you change your oil and fuel filters. I have a 04 6.0 with 190,000 miles.I got the truck new. Put a egr delete on it at 8000 mile did away with the junk ford coolant. I have had a 140hp custom tune on it since 50,000 miles. I change my oil at 3,000 miles and my fuel filter also. I have never had any problems from the truck. It also has had 38" tires on it since 10,000 miles
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_2562 View Post
How often do you change your oil and fuel filters. I have a 04 6.0 with 190,000 miles.I got the truck new. Put a egr delete on it at 8000 mile did away with the junk ford coolant. I have had a 140hp custom tune on it since 50,000 miles. I change my oil at 3,000 miles and my fuel filter also. I have never had any problems from the truck. It also has had 38" tires on it since 10,000 miles
Posted via Mobile Device
I also installed arp head studs at 50,000 miles.
For the op go to YouTube and there is a good video on every thing you should check on a 6.0 truck before buying one.
I get 16 mpg with a custom tune. Sct is the best tuner for a 6.0
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
Obviously i never said they were reliable from the factory... My 06 has 85,000 on the clock now and i had issues in the beginning but after a couple grand like i said i can put a 250hp tune on it and run it like i stole it and havent had a problem since the upgrades. Just sayin. Sorry for your misfortunes. Cummins has terrible trans,

Sure, but for a few grand can be made bulletproof. Although we are talking engines, not transmissions.

But, if you would like, my '05 550 made it 500 miles before the tranny went out. My '04 made it to I don't remember exactly, but around 18K on it's first tranny. Then a year later the same thing happened. Those OEM snap rings are just awesome. Once I had shift kits and aftermarket snap rings installed on both of them, the problems went away. That's a total of 6 weeks lost production on 2 trucks in the middle of winter when I needed them the most.

My 350 has had a shudder when shifting into reverse since new. 1 out of about 50 shifts it feels like it is falling out. So yeah, Ford has transmission issues too.

duramax had huge injector issues, so what gives.

You're correct again, but only at the beginning. Not throughout their entire production life.

I simply stated problems and easy fixes for those problems.

Its out of warranty anyway so whats he got to loose by putting a few bucks in it to make it last at a decent price.
Posted via Mobile Device
With so many problems, why buy so many? Why not switch to a non"pos"?
I have 3 POS because 1 is an '04 the others are '05s. Bought relatively close together and before a lot of these ongoing problems were occurring. And that is the problem, these problems continue unless you do the upgrades. Between the 3 of them I have about 230K miles. Lost revenue and maintenance costs are way, way higher than the stock 7.3s. Duramaxes don't need upgrades once they figured out the injector problem. You can rebuild a Dodge tranny that will hold more HP than you can dream of and not have to worry about it.

I have yet to replace a single injector on one of my 7.3's or my Cummins or my Cat. 1 turbo on a 7.3 that shouldn't have needed it, but that's one out of 3 with over 360,000 miles between them. The Cummins had a turbo replaced because of oil leakage. That has over 100K on it. The Cat is getting leaky because of salt.