Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
Obviously i never said they were reliable from the factory... My 06 has 85,000 on the clock now and i had issues in the beginning but after a couple grand like i said i can put a 250hp tune on it and run it like i stole it and havent had a problem since the upgrades. Just sayin. Sorry for your misfortunes. Cummins has terrible trans,and the 24v cummins vp44 injection pump/lift pump issues, duramax had huge injector issues, so what gives. I simply stated problems and easy fixes for those problems. Its out of warranty anyway so whats he got to loose by putting a few bucks in it to make it last at a decent price.
Posted via Mobile Device
With so many problems, why buy so many? Why not switch to a non"pos"?
Where did you get a 250hp tune from for a 6.0?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a guy out of redding ca that writes custom tunes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhead19 View Post
I have a chance to buy a 2003 Ford F350 diesel for a good price. $8000 with 110,000 miles on it. Anyway I never owned a diesel before and am not to familiar with them. So my question is, Does anyone have experience with these engines? How do they hold up? Good power? hows the gas mileage? Thanks for any input I greatly appreciate it.
With a diesel that has 300,000 miles left in it why is the guy selling it? Lemon? Owning a diesel was not what he expected?

By the way many gas engines today hit 250,000 to 300,000 miles.

How many people put 300,000 miles in ten years?

After that many miles pretty much everything is worn out and time for a new truck.

Diesel adds $8,000 - 10,000 to the price of a new truck.

Diesel fuel costs more, gets better mpg. Many have worked out that it would take 10 years to break even after the initial purchase price of getting a diesel instead of a gas engine.

Many people have found that after the diesel accelerates to 55 mph faster, the gas engine will also hit 55 mph, and that to pay $8 to 10g more is not worth it.

Most people pull trailers under 5,000lbs. Most people don't have to drive over the continental divide, and back in the 50's they still where making trucks with straight 6 cyl flat heads going over the rockies.

Is it that important that you can do 75 up a steep hill instead of losing speed to 65 on that same hill? The thirty seconds or minute at that speed is not going to effect the day in the end any important amount.

As a LCO how important is it to hold 75 going up a hill.

After all how often does a LCO go on an intestate to go from one lawn to the next?

Thing is are you needing a diesel or wanting a diesel?

How often are you pulling 12,000 lb trailers?

I see to many LCO's pull up to a house with a 3/4 pulling a 18' trailer just to mow a lawn. They pull off two mowers, a blower, a trimmer. That's a lot of stuff getting lugged around and not being used. Well all that stuff is getting used. The extra weight is putting extra wear and tear on the truck and trailer, and using more fuel.

And last but not least, gas is less expensive to repair.

For those that live and die diesel this is not an anti diesel piece. This is pointing out the questions that people do not ask themselves to figure out do they need a diesel. Are the putting on 100,000 miles a year. Are they pulling 10,000 lb loads everyday, once a week, 6 times a year, 6 times over 10 years, and are these loads pulled for 10 miles a day, 100 miles, 500 miles and up a day.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

@ 32vld

I am 20 years old and own a small business. I currently own a ford 150 six cylinder. i want to add snowplowing to my list of services. my ford is only 2 wheel drive and cant plow. I tow a 6x 12 open trailer with a couple mowers and trimmers and blowers on it. Sure i can get away with the 6 cylinder as i have for the past 2 years. But i need a 4x4 truck to plow with. I have $10,000 to spend on a truck. in my area, there is nothing but over priced junk. I will not pay 8 grand for a piece of **** that i have to throw a ton of money into just to keep going a little further. This truck is the first decent truck i have found. yes it is a diesel an no i never owned one. Some say diesel is the way to go over gas engines. for me i don't have any preference, i just want a good work truck that gets me around and does what i need it to do. thats the only reason why im considering buying this truck. if it is a lemon, well i will find out this weekend when i go to look at it.
Ferris DD 61"
Ferris DD 48"
Honda HRR216
Snapper 21" Hi Vac
Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki and Echo Handhelds
Solo Back Pack Sprayer
6.5x 16 Tandem Trailer
7x18 Dovetail Equipment Trailer
Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_2562 View Post
Where did you get a 250hp tune from for a 6.0?
Posted via Mobile Device
What kind of tuner do you use? Could you give me his info? I use idp out of Texas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a custom 5 position. Ive got his info at home. I will get it as soon a i get a free minute brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
@ 32vld

I am 20 years old and own a small business. I currently own a ford 150 six cylinder. i want to add snowplowing to my list of services. my ford is only 2 wheel drive and cant plow. I tow a 6x 12 open trailer with a couple mowers and trimmers and blowers on it. Sure i can get away with the 6 cylinder as i have for the past 2 years. But i need a 4x4 truck to plow with. I have $10,000 to spend on a truck. in my area, there is nothing but over priced junk. I will not pay 8 grand for a piece of **** that i have to throw a ton of money into just to keep going a little further. This truck is the first decent truck i have found. yes it is a diesel an no i never owned one. Some say diesel is the way to go over gas engines. for me i don't have any preference, i just want a good work truck that gets me around and does what i need it to do. thats the only reason why im considering buying this truck. if it is a lemon, well i will find out this weekend when i go to look at it.
I noticed you alreadt own a 350 so why buy another one?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
@ 32vld

Add this because I could not edit the post I started.

I would not want to plow with a 2wd either. But being you are not driving it and will not abuse it you may get buy with a 1/2.

Are you doing shopping centers/malls and need a 10' with wings?

Then do you have money for the skid steer and bucket loaders to stack the snow?

It seems you are starting out and will do residential drives and small parking lots such as a gas station, deli, cleaners, etc. Then a 1/2 with a 8' can be a good starting point for small lots won't give you much room to manuver. Once you out grow the 1/2 you can park it as a back up, and get a bigger truck and plow. Or get an employee and run both trucks.

Also you avoided answering the questions as to whether you need a diesel.

Diesel's even used cost more money then a gas engine truck so if you don't need a diesel then your money will go farther going with a gas engine truck because you will get you a newer used truck with less mileage.

At 20, some people confuse the words need and want. Being you have shown no desire to list all the reasons why it makes dollars and sense to by a gas or diesel then you are showing that you are not thinking as a levelheaded businessman.

A level headed businessman would never think it doesn't matter when spending $10,000.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

get an oasis report, without it its like taking a test and not studying