Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2003, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Credit Cards

Do any of you except credit cards? I am looking at doing so next season and would like to know if you get many customers that like this service.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 11-27-2003, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

less than 1% of my customers use credit cards. I have seriously been thinking about just dropping the processing all together.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a cheap way to offer quick payment terms. It is also useful on the collections side. Quickbooks Pro makes it so easy its hard not to offer the service. Plus many of my clients do not live in the house year round and have us charge the card and send a receipt with what we have done.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Makes it easy for your residential customer to pay, also good for residental install jobs. None of our commercial customers us it.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PayPal-
Excellent choice to have it available where you only have a few transaction or small dollars involved.

Even if they don't do paypal, you can even do it over the phone. They just give the info over the phone while you type into form as if you where them....

Best of all no fees when you don't use it.

I like it.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Tim,

Here is a poll that was posted that may be helpful.

accepting (credit card or paypal) now or in Future?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If we get enough requests for it we'd do it...but have had no requests. I'd offer it only if we were losing business over it.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's one thing to think about with credit card billing. I have thought seriously about making it a requirement for full service mowing accounts just for the sole purpose of improving collections and cash flows.

If you can't actually swipe the card, you'll pay about 4%. If you can swipe the card, you can get that fee all the way down to less than 2%. Since you'll be billing your customers once a month, you'll only have their account number and expiration date, so you'll pay around 4%.

That's 4% off the top of everything you bill. Plus, there'll be a monthly fee as well, at least that's what I was seeing when I looked into it last time. The monthly fee was another $35.00 per month.

I have so far grossed about $35K this year and cleared $14K, excluding depreciation expense. (It's my first year and I hope to at least triple that next year...if I don't there sure as heck won't be a 3rd year!) But let's assume I had billed 100% of my work to credit cards all year.

Had I billed through credit cards for everything, I would have paid $1,400 in processing fees plus $35 per month. Total cost for credit cards would have been $1,820.00. Instead of making $14,000 this year, I would have made $12,180.00. That's a pay cut of 13% although the credit cards only take 4%.

I just don't think credit card billing is in my immediate future.

As for getting set up to take credit cards for the occassional customer who may ask for it: I figure if they've got a credit card they've got a check book too. I'm not gonna pay $35/mo for the occassional credit card junkie. So far, this year, only one customer has specifically asked me about paying via credit card...when I explained that I don't take them, she just whipped out her checkbook.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 12-03-2003, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Credit Cards are great .................people have no problem spending money they dont have. .............. $500 in lawn care or $5000 on an install charged to a credit card is an easier sale and less painfull to most than having to write a check.

Gives you credibility and the serious customer an out with the credit card company should something go wrong.

Pay $19.00 a month, no transactions - no fee, 2.9% per transaction. About 25% of customers use it.

I dont buy into the losing 2.9% argument. I consider it an investment. Market it to your advantage.