Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know i am not going to be advertising until spring. I just have this thing were everything goes wrong and time fly's by to fast. So i am getting them made now. There are a lot of local lawn & landscapers around so there is some competition. I was thinking 1,500 postcard and the rest door hangers (postage is not cheap!).
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Gesner. Well i started just doing my neighbors lawn than halfway through the summer i picked up 2 accounts thanks to my mom and her big mouth lol! I will this year get an LLC.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Thanks man i was kinda down about it all yesterday. I'm glad somebody see's my point! I am really trying and people around my town know of me as a good worker. I hope the word spreads! Your are absolutely correct it does sit in the garage a lot. When i do sell it the re sell value should still be around 2,000 i take really good care of it. Glad to see you are a Ford guy, a lot of people on here are Chevy! Ford F250 Powerstroke is the dream lol! Could you take a look at my postcard a few pages back? i would like to get your opinion?
It is good to think ahead, but not too far ahead. I'll get banged for this again, but its not all about the slick F250 all decked out with the brand new mowers, trailer and all the rest. Its about your professional attitude and quality of work first and foremost. The rest will come. However, if you plan on working in high-end areas, then having nicer stuff definitely helps. But if you are working in mid level income areas like i do, that is of less importance (although it would still be nice) IMO. My stuff doesnt look the best, I wish it looked better, but I can assure you I will go up against any LCO as far as quality of work.
BPS and DG have given you strong advise.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah that is true 90% work and 10% looks of equipment. Thanks a lot guys for the encouragement!! Just wondering how long did it take you guys to get to the point where you were making good money? *i would eventually like to leave my parents basement lol*
Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
yeah that is true 90% work and 10% looks of equipment. Thanks a lot guys for the encouragement!! Just wondering how long did it take you guys to get to the point where you were making good money? *i would eventually like to leave my parents basement lol*
"Good money" is a relative term. This is my 10th season and I'm still not bringing in what I did in my former career. But now I'm in control of my life and my kids know who I am. I'm not just that stranger they see every Sunday anymore.

But it can take 3 or 4 years to have a full schudule of decent accounts and getting to the point where you can "cherry pick" the good and just pass on the bad. I have always concentrated on filling my schedule with good, profitable work rather than growth for the sake of growth. I think that's the mistake a lot of guys make, and I see it when their business goes up for sale. Having 100 underpriced accounts for people who don't pay on time is a recipe for failure, not success. I'd rather have 30 good ones!

I'm gonna go take a shower, load up and roll out and get a crack of noon start and then knock out 8 lawns to the tune of $400 or so....as soon as I finish sipping my coffe, rofl.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

DG hit it on the head...

Anyway, I think your business cards look good. But as others have said on this thread, don't over qualify yourself.
1 - Will you be mowing at houses like that? Can you handle the maintenance (pruning, weeding etc) at a house like that? Could you quote it even? Not coming at you just legitimate questions. Start small, build slow - words to live by
2 - If you cant stripe like that, then no need to include those pics. It aint all about the almighty "stripe".
What I mean is if I was a prospective customer, I would expect that you could make my lawn look like that. This is just not true so I wouldn't advertise that I could. Granted it looks nice, but is not currently an accurate representation of you current business.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What was your former carreer? Nope i can not stripe like that. Already talked to the guy he said he is going to get different pictures. But yes i can do weeding mulching & shrub small tree pruning. I also do pretty good for weeding and mulching i am good at pricing that now! lol. Those stripes look pretty brightened up lol I really hate the slow part.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Worked for a landscaper while at college and after. You can learn alot from this site. I have in a very short time. You can always get better with pricing IMO. I think I can price stuff to the T ...um nope - a few every year get me. Thats learning though as long as it goes into the memory bank.
I wasnt saying you cant prune and weed and mulch. I was more asking if you could quote a property of that caliber? I myself could not have done so until about two years ago and only through trial and error.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was a rocket surgeon in my former career!

Actually I worked in the enviormental consulting field mostly assessing and cleaning up contaminated commercial and industrial properties, often in connection with pending real estate deals (someone buying, someone selling, someone wanting a loan). I worked my way up the ladder to the point that I was stuck in the office 95% of the time and hated it. I had about a dozen different titles but basically I was an environmental scientist and project manager.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can price it under what you price it because i do not have the llc yet. but when i do i will have to figure it all out. i ball park it. weeding and mulching i did 40 an hour i think. Wow that sounds pretty cool expect for the office part