Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Thank You. I knew there was someone out there that started with a push mower! i only have 8 accounts right now. Also working a full time job at The Home Depot. As of right now speed is not an issue it is the accounts. I do not have enough. Business Plan- I am going to go HARD at it Feb, March, April, June with advertising. (newspaper, post cards & door hangers). My goal is to have 12 total accounts. If i get that many i will sell my cub cadet & buy a Exmark walk behind or ZTR not sure will figure that out when the time comes. I am getting all my marketing material designed and printed right now. So that i know when the snow starts melting i can start plugin away at it & not get behind. *that was a postcard design that you saw* 2 FREE lawn cuts when signing a contract. Is two free cuts two much? or should i just do 1? Let me know what you all think. Today is my last day for revisions. How much did the LLC cost you? how much do you pay in taxes for 8 lawns? if you want give me a call at (414) 550-5228 or shoot me an email at ryan@osmannlandscapemgmt.com
I'll email you when I get the chance. I would not recommend getting a ztr unless your accts are big and/or you have a lot of em.
Two free lawns is a good ad campaign to try out and see what it gets you, being that its your company you can do w.e you want and see what yields the best result.
In the state of MN the cost to register an LLC is $160.00 and that's all I paid. I was an accting major so I know a lot about taxes and accting practices which is why I registered on my own as well as obtaining a state tax ID and an EIN. My grandpa is a CPA and as of now he will be assisting me with my taxes come year end but I believe we will have quite a few disagreements over expenses and I will probably switch CPAs for 2012.
There is little to no tax on the amt of money 8 accts brings in if your expenses outweigh your income (which in my case is happening, Im not making a profit yet as most new businesses start out). The tax I always collect is sales tax and obviously that is passed onto the customer, check with your state for what services are taxed and what aren't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Biggest advice I can give is take your time. Ya there's always going to be those companies that have all the equipment you could ever need with tons of accounts and work but thats not you. Keep your equipment clean and maintained. Sharp blades and a clean deck will do wonders. I started with my families old jeep cherokee with a push behind in the back and a trimmer and blower on the roof rack, had 2 accounts that a buddy gave me when he left for school. Took about 9 months off to work construction and went back in with a pickup truck, the same trimmer and blower, and an old walk behind that sat in the woods behind my ex's for 5 years. that was about 3 years ago now and i'm at 25 accounts today. I have a new mower that I bartered off of a customer but still have the original walk behind. You don't need fancy equipment. just make sure its dependable. Take care of the customers lawn like its your own lawn but manage your time. You'll grow but slow and thats ok everyone did.

2000 Ford F150
6.5 x 10 Open Trailer
Exmark Metro commercial 48"
Bobcat Ransome 48"
Husqvarna 128LD attatchment system
Stihl BR550
Stihl BG65
Stihl 034AV
8hp Little Wonder Walk Behind Blower
8hp Leaf Loader.
Tons of hand tools
Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent you an email osmann
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys for all the information, help and encouragement! I was told by a marketing wiz that i should change my website url to make it smaller. I guess people are lazy and dont want to type somthing so long in. My new email is ryan@osmannlawn.com web: www.osmannlawn.com

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
thanks guys for all the information, help and encouragement! I was told by a marketing wiz that i should change my website url to make it smaller. I guess people are lazy and dont want to type somthing so long in. My new email is ryan@osmannlawn.com web: www.osmannlawn.com

Thanks!
Yes, simple is good. I think you're pretending to be something/someone you're not though. It's a pretty big stretch to call yourself a full service landscaping company in my opinion.

Regarding your website:

"We are a new established business
with the knowledge to do anything you ask of us. "

Do you mean newly established? This is such a contradiction...if you're new, where did you get all that knowledge?

Look, I've been at this for 10 years and still would not dare call myself a full service landscaping company. I think you're pretending to be something you're not. No I don't think, I know. The impression people would get from your marketing materials is different than the impression I get from seeing your posts and interacting with you here. Just way too much B.S. in my opinion. Can you install irrigation, landscape lighting, a waterfall with pond, a paver patio, do my fertilization and pest control, install an outdoor kitchen area with fireplace, a synthetic putting green? Can you even come up with a work plan and bid to do this stuff? You're not even a licensed business for for God's sake!!!! Jim Lewis operates a full service landscaping company....you do not!!!!!! You are not a full service landscaping company!!!!! You had to ask how to do a fall cleanup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to be supportive and helpful, but you're embellishing yourself and your business way way too much to the points it's deceptive and dishonest. Cut the B.S., stick to what you really know for now and put up some pictures of YOUR work on your website. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes i agree with you 100%. I am getting it corrected and taken off the marketing materials.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you can do this you can call yourself a full service landscaping company.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=358310

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351827

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351638
Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

beautiful work. I completely agree with you on that! I am going to re do the website once i get some time (winter). Is the top of my postcard alright? or get rid of that as well?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Sponsor

Hey Osmann - I wasn't sure if you have had the mailing set up yet but if you haven't I wanted to give you some information on our postcards real quick. Full color both sides, 9x6 - mailed to individual routes so you can select the higher income areas etc but still save on postage... $0.36 each if you do 1,500 or $0.298 each for 2,500. This price also includes our Stick-It® enhancement that allows the recipient to Stick-It to the fridge & keep it out of the drawer. The cost for 2,500 full color 4.25 x 11 Door Hangers with our Band-It feature are on special right now with free shipping -- $189

If you have any questions or need any additional info about our Stick-It or Band-It Door Hanger enhancements let me know.

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples

Robin Christopherson
Adeas Printing
866-778-4254 ext 200
robin@adeasprinting.com
Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
beautiful work. I completely agree with you on that! I am going to re do the website once i get some time (winter). Is the top of my postcard alright? or get rid of that as well?
In the mean time you'll continue to misrepresent yourself...nice. Good luck with your business...I have nothing more to say.