Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start eye-balling what types of ZTR's you need for the size properties you most likely will be servicing. Save your $$$ over the winter & sell that tractor man!

Everyone responding to your thread is SPOT-ON, & MOST of the Feed-back will help you grow your business...sooooooo L-I-S-T-E-N.. I have a 20 year old son that has worked side-by-side with me since 5th grade, so I know how hard it is for someone your age to hear.(No offense, shiiii I was 19 once, still act like it..lol)

Anyway just because I HATE THE PACKERS, doesn't mean I wouldn't throw a few pointers your way! I read someone else started the same way you did, & I'm also one of them.. ABOUT Bryan Ring

Suggestion:

Fliers: Great Idea! (you spent toooooo much though)..Pick a neighborhood that you would like to service, preferably as close to home as possible...& pass em out every month for @ least 3 months in a row. Keep track of the streets/neighborhoods you are passing them out.

Website: 80% of communication(you should know this too) is performed electronically & growing everyday. Eventually, sooner than later, you need to incorporate this. Text, email, social media, etc. will give your business the exposure you didn't know was even possible.

There is a couple of pointers, but much has already been said & will continue to be said, because really there is much much much more to this than just mowing the lawn...which you already are just starting to find out. Pay for everything upfront, also eventually you will end up making payments for equipment. Taking on some debt is o.k., just don't put all your EGGS into one basket & hope all of em are GOOD...good luck!
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
4 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I am looking at a 48' or 52' Exmark ZTR (pioneer). i would probably get 2,000 from my tractor. I think the Pioneers run about 5-6 grand. I think by than i would be able to have enough credit to get a loan. OR i could try to get a small business loan (they like to see that you have the customers first). That is my main focus at the moment,Marketing material. IF i can get enough customers before the mowing season i would feel comfortable paying for a mower in that price range. I think for now the tractor is fine i only have 6 yards. I lost one over the summer, she really did not have enough money so her son does it now. I have the postcards, business cards, door magnets all done. Just waiting for the door hangers and i am all set for marketing for 2012 season. I am also going to do a few newspaper ad's for a few months. I still need a push mower, my craftsman one just wont do it this coming up season. I really like that Honda commercial but than i think about it and all i would need is $600.00 more for a used walk behind.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Thanks I am looking at a 48' or 52' Exmark ZTR (pioneer). i would probably get 2,000 from my tractor. I think the Pioneers run about 5-6 grand. I think by than i would be able to have enough credit to get a loan. OR i could try to get a small business loan (they like to see that you have the customers first). That is my main focus at the moment,Marketing material. IF i can get enough customers before the mowing season i would feel comfortable paying for a mower in that price range. I think for now the tractor is fine i only have 6 yards. I lost one over the summer, she really did not have enough money so her son does it now. I have the postcards, business cards, door magnets all done. Just waiting for the door hangers and i am all set for marketing for 2012 season. I am also going to do a few newspaper ad's for a few months. I still need a push mower, my craftsman one just wont do it this coming up season. I really like that Honda commercial but than i think about it and all i would need is $600.00 more for a used walk behind.
You know I've got a older toro proline T-bar belt drive that I'm thinking of getting rid of.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Swampy - You live in Waukesha right? shoot me an email with details ryan@osmannlawn.com
Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Email sent.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

blah. so i can get read this furthermore
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What? ?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

asdfaasdfasdfasd
Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Wassup osmann! I Just started this year also. (Late this year) I have 10 mowing accounts. Including the mowing accounts I have close to 20 clients where I do weeding and leaf removal, trimming hedges and shrubs, pruning trees, etc... Last week I had a mulching job.! I love being out doors but weeding and trimming is so tedious. I wanna get into some hardscaping stuff. I actually made a mini lifted bed this year for one of my clients with some garden blocks and it turned out pretty good considering it was my first time! Haha.. I had to YouTube it but it was pretty basic stuff!. Anyways I'm just rambling right now.. I'm just excited for next season because I was recently referred to a property manager who manages 40 plus apartments around Seattle and hopefully i can build off of her! So far I've done two apts. For her! And another lady I worked for is a real estate agent and a couple days ago she asked me to do an estimate on one of her clients lawn! ima build off the real esate agent too! heck you can Build Off any clients you have right now! Just do a superb job and be down to earth and friendly. That's how I got my peeps.Let's get it! Lol advertising hard core next season. Shoot you can advertise right now. Why not?! ..Wished I wouldve started when I was 18. I'm 22 by the way and I feel old! You learn a lot in 4 years man.

Goodluck to you though. Stay positive and positive things will occur in your life. There will be some drawbacks but don't let that hold you back from your ambitions and goals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh yeah I wrote the weird comment earlier so I can back to it when I could! Damn I should've worked today.been working constantly this whole week but cherish these days with no rain. Winter is coming soon! Ahhhhh!
Posted via Mobile Device