Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's awesome! Glad everything is going well! Good job on landing the accounts. Yep also go to youtube on how to videos. It's a great tool! That would be awesome if you were able to get those big apartment accounts. Have you done any kind of advertising? Really looking for the best ways. I have postcards, business cards, door magnets and having some door hangers made at the moment. Would of got it all done at once but money is tight. I have a full time job at The Home Depot. Yesterday i got called into the office and was told i have to go down to part time max 25 hours a week. I was pretty pissed because it seems like i go one step forward and 2 steps back. At least i got the majority of my advertising material done before i loose all my hours! I'm in Wisconsin it was raining/snowing today. I winterized most of my equipment last week. Just have a few more leaf removal jobs. How did you start out?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, Yep this is what i want to do for a living. Its cool when you get a yard that looks horrible and with some time you can make it look like the best yard on the block!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Fortunately, my dad had some equipment from when he landscaped part time over the years. But he's since retired for several years.. I got to thinking maybe I can make some extra cash while going to school by taking over some of his old accounts of over 15 plus years. I remember as a kid walking around him while he was cutting grass-it was pretty much a daycare and i loved running around on the clients big yards and playscapes they had for theirs kids and even got paid 25 cents per pine cone from the client by picking them up..lol. Anyways so I started out this summer and went hard at it late september. Got my Dba and pretty much got referrals by word of mouth.. If you're honest and loyal to your clients they'll help you help them out, vice versa. I haven't even put out fliers or anything. Just all word of mouth. That's how I've advertised. No business card either. Printing them out today. Temporary though because im thinking i should get a po box for an official address my clients can mail their check too. Plus im moving homes soon sonthe address situtation is getting annoying. But I've made t shirts and crew necks with my logo on them and I wear them everytime I'm out working making sure my name and number shows as I'm working. Got them made less than two weeks ago and got one call. ... Im glad it isn't snowing here yet. Sheesh that would suck. I still have work to do and the weekly leaf removal at the apts.. I sure as hell need insurance now or soon.. I don't do contracts FYI. But maybe in the future i will. Any other questions comments or concerns from the know it all is encouraged! Let me hear something from you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh wow that is awesome! were did you get the t shirts from? I like your logo by the way looks good. what are you going to college for?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don;t have insurance? the apartment owners don't care?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To the noobie guy, I'd recommend writing up a service agreement or contract, you'll thank yourself later when someone tries to screw you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i got the t shirts from a local printing shop. And for now im to going college for landscape design but will continue and broaden my education in all aspects of the landscape field so I can offer all the services a client may want.

And they never asked for one but i know i should definitely get insurance.. and the Owner lives in California and comes by twice a year or so-retired law professor at a university and other schools around the nation so im pretty sure he makes bank at least 150 grand a year. thats a lot for me. but since hes old hes probably making way... more...or less since hes retired.. idk whatever..lol
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey J.. thing is... ive looked around on the forums to try and get some ideas of how to write one but some are too detailed or too short and someone always has to say something about some one elses agreement or contract in a bad way.. soo idk whats a good service agreement or contract suppose to look like...

If you can give me an idea on how to write one, you would help me out a lot.

thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much a person makes doesn't dictate whether or not a contractor should have insurance, if anything if a person's property is nicer being that they make more, you should have more coverage
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to have your company info on it, client info. Then the outline of the contract, what it specifies, then your billing structure, search this site and you'll find info on them. Because that's where I got the base for mine.
Posted via Mobile Device