Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a backup mower that i could use as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you have a backup mower that you can actually get all of your lawns done with. My point was that you don't want to end up "dropping the ball" when the going gets rough. A commercial mower can blast through 8 inches of lush growth and not make a mess. Always have a backup plan and never take on more than you can handle under a worst case scenario. My first year I blew the motor in my truck speeding my son to the emergency room. No truck to tow my trailer with my mower....now what? I had to service my lawns with a 21 inch mower out of the back of a Taurus station wagon...not good!

I think you would have been better off with a used commercial walk behind but you are where you are at this point. Just don't bite off more than you can chew...there's a fine line between can do and can't do with that type of mower. You can maintain a lawn with it, but reclaiming a couple dozen lawns that got away from you due to rain and quick growth is almost impossible...keep that in mind.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that is true. My dad talked me into getting it. My plan for spring of 2012 is to get 12 accounts total. I would be able to pay off the 7,000 i borrowed for all my stuff. I also work part time 3 shift so i mow some lawns in the morning. Sometimes the grass is pretty wet and it seems to do pretty good. no major clumping, just might have to run over it twice. 2 lawns i cant even get the tractor to the back yard due to a fence so i have to use my 21' push mower. I hope to than by fall of 2012 to buy a Cub Cadet Tank S. Do you have any advice on marketing? i am having trouble with it
Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mail

Marketing, your work is your best marketing. If you can, the accounts that you have if they are in subdivisions then hand deliver your mailer to houses around them. This may take a little time but its better $1400, get a friend to help. Try to stay in one area it saves time and money. I have three areas that i try to work so people see you and can ask question and they see your mailer. It takes more then one time to send mailer. I did it in the spring starting in Feb and every six weeks after for 4 times.

Training them early
Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tend to do less than 1 acre lots. (charge 35-45 dollars a trip). So just put the mailer in the newspaper box? I thought about getting the door hangers printed and hanging them on doors or the mail box clip for papers. Do you advertise in newspapers?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When is a good time to start advertising in Wisconsin.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think just before or while all that white stuff is melting.

Training them early
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
I tend to do less than 1 acre lots. (charge 35-45 dollars a trip). So just put the mailer in the newspaper box? I thought about getting the door hangers printed and hanging them on doors or the mail box clip for papers. Do you advertise in newspapers?
No newspaper, I put them on the front door or mail box what ever works. This way you can chose what house you would like to target. If it is obvious that the people do not care then pass it by. Your price seems very low to me but we are in very different areas.

Training them early
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are trying to target just a few specific neighborhoods to keep your route tight, door hangers are pretty cost effective and cheap if you pass them out yourself. They are just a lot easier to deal with/pass out than postcard/flyers since you cant legally use the mailbox if you don't pay postage.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn;t even think you could legally open up anybody's mail box unless you are USPS. This is all great information. For the door hangers do you write on them what you would charge for that lawn? I was thinking about placing an ad in the newspaper that goes throughout the county. I believe it is 12.00 for a 6 line ad. They have deals for long term advertising. Would that be idea or do people not look at the newspaper anymore for services? What do you guys charge for a 1/2 acre lot (trimming, edging, blowing included)? I am Probably pretty low. I want to get my name out there so i can do this full time. I have gone through a lot of shity jobs before i decided i wanted to be my own boss. I would rather not have to be under somebody again! (still working full time at the home depot).