Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really appreciate all the encouragement and information you all have been giving me!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
trimming an 8 hour property would suck. how much do you get for something like that?

More than your 8 yards combined.

I dont' want to give out those prices for fear my competitors that I took the jobs away from happen to read this forum.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

haha! good idea. i believe it! Why do you guys like walk behinds?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Not me , I'm fat and lazy. I'll ride any time I can.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I rarely walk behind mine but I use it a lot more than my Z because it's more maneuverable and therefore quicker on most residential lawns under 1/2 acre or so. Also lower cost to run, easier to clean the deck, less turf damage and better for slopes.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First I got to say your pretty much in the ball park in your pricing for the area for a 1/2 acre. My start up cost was low, around $1000 bucks, had found a 5x8 trailer on craigslist for 450, my buddy sold me a old toro belt drive 44in for 500, trimmer I got from another friend that was throwing it out, and picked up a remanufactured 125 husky backpack blower, and I had a Dodge 1500.

I would get your truck lettered for next year. I picked up 3 mowing jobs, and a planting job just off the truck being lettered, and the cost to letter the truck was only 200 bucks (kept it simple, no pictures, just words) on the new to me truck. Even if it just sells one job you've made your money back on it.

I like walkbehinds just for the reason that it can be used every where, low cost, and easy to fix.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I just happen to really like the cub cadets. Exp the tank. I have mowed a lawn with it once (borrowed from neighbor to try it out. Worked great, fast & looks good. Why do most of you guys not care for them? I also like Gravely and Ex mark. I just think that doing commercial lawns they expect a zero turn rider.
Does it look bad if you put postcards in peoples mail boxes without an address/postage?
IDK why you would like them...they are homeowner stuff and should stay there.
Commercial around here is done w/ probably 50/50 ZTRs and Walkbehinds. Walkbehinds are cheaper than a rider (cost much closer to what your Cub cost) and better on hills. Plus they don't scalp or tear up the turf as bad. Commercial folks expect someone that is legal, insured, and has good reliable commercial equipment, whether it be a commercial 21" or a Turf Tiger. It is what will do the job the best for the right price.

DUDE! IF YOU PUT POSTCARDS IN A MAILBOX YOU WILL GO TO JAIL!

Mike
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

^^^^^
Stay away from mailboxes. Just google the topic and you will see examples of fines and jail sentences. The Post Office is facing major cut backs and lay offs, just let one of the postal workers see your free postcards on their route and you will have hell to pay.
Put in the time and hang them on the doors if you do not want to mail them. Also when door hanging do not cut through yards.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody really hates cub cadet lol! I was talking about there commercial line... Ive seen the Scag price... almost 10,000. How about Exmark? lol ya i know you cant put anything in the mail box i was talking about the side box were newspaper goes. I am trying to decide door hangers or postcards? i know door hangers will be cheap but its all the time trying to get a bunch of houses. postcard all i would have to do is get the design and have them do the rest. Also it cost a lot. I was thinking about sending out 5,000 so i would hopefully at least get a phone call out of it. let me know what you all think?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, someone really hates cheap mowers made in china. What commercial line? Craigslist is your friend! You can get an exmark Turf Tracer for well under 4k...most run closer to 2500 used. Or find a used ZTR. I have seen a lot in the same price range. You will learn mechanics skills in the process. Plus it will make you appreciate new shiny stuff!

While we are on the subject...you say you work at HD. Does HD have a good service department w/ trained mechanics? NO! The local dealers do. You pay for what you get.

On advertising...we go to walmart and get the multi-colored card-stock or even regular paper for that matter. Create something on Publisher (w/ 2 coupons on the bottom) and print 100 up. Walk door to door and stick them under the mat partway or in the door (the nicer neighborhoods have tight doors, not so nice they jams are loose LOL). W/ the florescent colors (green, yellow, orange) you can see them a mile away. Seem to have worked well for us!
Mike