Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to put an ad in the newspaper for fall cleanup anybody have any good idea's what it should say?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Right, you don't have a problem with speed now but if you're going to be marketing and picking up customers it will become an issue. Part of the problem with a lawn tractor is the amount of trimming it leaves due to it's poor maneuverability...yeah I know it only has a 12 inch turning radius, but it's a pain to get close to stuff. It's not just top speed I'm talking about, it's how quickly you can mow a lawn...overall productivity.

Look around at the pros cutting lawns in your area....what are they using? How many lawn tractors do you see? I'm suggesting that you started wrong and that it will affect your ability to be optimally productive and your ongoing payments for the wrong equipment will keep you from getting what you really need, in the near term at least. Now if you already had a lawn tractor and a small utility trailer and wanted to start off with it, I'd say sure, go for it until you can pick up something more suitable, but I sure wouldn't recommend taking a loan out for a brand new one.

I don't mean to discourage you but you aren't off to a good start from where I sit. You have 8 customers, a slow top heavy homeowner-type mower that isn't rated for the duties you will need to put it to in order to be successful, you're in debt, and you're business can't operate year round. Is it hopeless? No, I don't think so, but I think you need to get away from the thinking that your next purchase should be a zero turn rider. I think you need to get a walk behind, loose the tractor, and then when you have a full schedule and can justify it, add a Z.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My fall adds are usually for leaves and plowing.

Leaf cleanups and snow plowing: (List my 3 preferred towns). Courteous professional service since 2002. Free estimates. Licensed and insured. Company name & phone number.

That's it.

Some other suggestions....reasonable, conscientious, meticulous, senior discount, reasonable rates, prompt service...take your pick.

P.S. - I never say my rates are reasonable, the reasonable refers to me not my pricing, rofl.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't owe that much money only loaned 4,000 only have 2,000 left to pay off. the rest i paid for my self. I know what you mean, i don't see many lawncare companies that use them. A couple of times i have seen it though. I needed a trailer anyway because i chop and deliver wood. pluse i got a trailer that should last a long time. i know i was getting ahead of my self. eventually i would like to get the walk behind. I should get the loan paid off in 3 months.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank's I appreciate your opinions & help!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Thank's I appreciate your opinions & help!
No problem. I suggest that the next time you are ready to make a purchase, run it by us first. Just don't take it too personally if you get some hostile replies, lol.

Last edited by Darryl G; 10-03-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i had no idea about this site until a week ago. Great information. I plan to do leaf cleanup with a backpack blower, rake & some garbage bags? good idea or bad?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

for leaf removal do you charge by hour or just estimate the job time and give them a quote? that is normally what i do for jobs like that. I had a huge weeding (extremely overgrown) & mulching job this summer took a whole weekend 9 hour days charged 40.00 an hour with my brother for help paid him 11.50 an hour. I thought that was pretty good.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I used flyers....but a landscaper I know does door hangers very aggressively and he produces thousands of dollars. I plan on it next spring. Im going to go hard at it. See what happens.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
I did 4 mulching jobs this year that i did really well on. A lot of weeding as well. Used my lawn tractor to pull around a 17cu cart. It was a lot faster than using a wheelbarrow. I have seen a lot of stories on here that guys start out using a lawn tractor and now there business is picking up so they upgrade. ya i do a bunch of services website: www.osmannlandscapemgmt.com Its kind of a shity website but its better than nothing! Thanks i think i am going to get some door hangers made.

Thats a better site than mine. Mine really needs tuned up!
Did you design it yourself?

The biggest thing I see with your site's photos is that you are over selling your customers what you are able to provide.
Those stripes look great, only problem is that you can't deliver them with your equipment.
If a customer sees that and orders service and you aren't able to provide that look you'll be out the door and down the road and they'll be hiring a new company and talking bad about yours.
Some thing to think about.