Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

no idea i just know it seems like every other pass i would have to change the wet heavy grass. at least she had a compost pile that helped. i hate push mowing a small lot. the fence gate way only big enough for a push mower. just a single gate. I made pretty good cash off her for doing a little lawn. less gas as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Man, I could of took that 7k and skipped the "buying real equipment one day" and just did it. Used mower,new handhelds,used trailer etc...One day when you have better commercial equipment, you proably won't even touch that tractor.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like new stuff. I know how it is taken care of. Ya i know what you mean eventually i will get one! I love tractors. I live in a hic town. it comes natural lol
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Commercial units offer: quicker mowing times, better cuts, ease of maintenance, easy blade changes, longer life, and those are benefits of buying a used unit. Buy a new one and you get all that plus warranty support, loaners,etc, etc. I don't think anyone is going to convince you of the value of commercial units until it is to late.
BTW: I picked up a 34" Toro ZTR for $2000 and 48" Scag WB for $360. I can get through any gate with the 34", since I bought it I haven't used my 21".
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Ossman i'm 17 picked up a lesco 36inch belt WB in may paid 275, used all summer just through a transmission in it a month ago. total investment is maybe 550 tops. bought a used stihl fs55r for 75 from the same guy 5 bucks for a tune up, going to look at a 48 hydro viking this weekend (hopefully) also used. I didn't exactly make a total killing this year and i only have about a handful of customers. I do pretty much anything they throw at me. you have to figure though i am not licensed/insured. Also i pay for all my gas in the machines, truck etc. I fix everything myself (my dad is a mechanic so i get a break on parts for my truck) i pay for all the parts on the machines, i pay car insurance i bought tires for the truck, i paid to start redoing the trailer, and i still have my social life/girlfriend. Couldn't tell you how much i actually made this summer but it can be done. I figure i did pretty good for myself this year. Started the season with a push mower a trimmer a blower and my truck bed. I'll start next season with probably a 36 a 48 with a sulky, hopefully pick up a back pack this year, and the potential for more customers.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you are very motivated! What have you done for marketing? I am getting insurance this year for my business hoping that i will get more customers next season. My goal is a total of 12-15. Including the ones i have now. I think that would not be to hard to reach. For now i do residential (older people 45 & up in town homes). Does anybody use a LLC or Sole proprietorship? i don't really know what one to use. I know LLC has more coverage. How much do they cost generally?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a business card made from me by PLAN-IT Graphics let me know what you think i would like to hear what needs to be changes or whats good about it! Thanks,

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have any type of legit business i guess you would call it. i'll be 18 next spring so then i'll get an LLC or whatever is appropriate for me with adequate insurance. Then i might get magnets made up for my truck. it's only a ranger so i don't plan on having that permanently my work vehicle.

Suggestion on your ad... you don't have a walk behind and i don't think your tractor stripes like that. not putting you down but i think your poster is a little overdone... if you didn't actually do whats pictured, i wouldn't suggest putting pictures on it. This might sound rough but if you showed up with a riding mower and you were pictured with a walkbehind I'd call you a liar.

Once again not like i'm running a huge LCO here but i'm not johnny from down the street either.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
I don't have any type of legit business i guess you would call it. i'll be 18 next spring so then i'll get an LLC or whatever is appropriate for me with adequate insurance. Then i might get magnets made up for my truck. it's only a ranger so i don't plan on having that permanently my work vehicle.

Suggestion on your ad... you don't have a walk behind and i don't think your tractor stripes like that. not putting you down but i think your poster is a little overdone... if you didn't actually do whats pictured, i wouldn't suggest putting pictures on it. This might sound rough but if you showed up with a riding mower and you were pictured with a walkbehind I'd call you a liar.

Once again not like i'm running a huge LCO here but i'm not johnny from down the street either.
Yes truth in advertising, if a potential customer sees that they are going to want that.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regarding the tree trimming and pruning. In most states (if not all) you need to be a licensed/certified arborist to trim trees. In my state you can trim ornamental trees up to 15 feet without a license, otherwise you need one. Regardless, it takes special skills to do it, license or not.