Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
irritation's Avatar
irritation irritation is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,534
If you have it directional bored it shouldn't be anywhere near 10k and little to no mess.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,625
Yeah. We told the the guy that a directional bore this is the more effient way to go . Which we don't have. Our mole just goes straight . I'm going there later today. Gonna try to find the leak and if not were abandoning ship. Just too big of job for us when were not the most cost effective way
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,625
Boots its not too often. Specially now with the price of copper. I just traced a full copper line the other day tho with the 800. Dead on accuracy. Lotvof times its 2 to 5 feet of copper at the meter and at the house. Poly in the middle
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 PM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,625
Job abandoned

Refering to a directional bore company


The loudest point my accoustical was making was 2.5' into the driveway.. So I cut out 2.5' of asphalt and exposed the line... Nothing.. The line was 34" here and then started diving down at this point..

I still here the leak very very close...

My theory is the leak is still under the driveway just deeper- the loudest point I here is because the piping is shallower here.


This is the first job i've had to abandon.. there's been several I couldn't find the leak but narrowed it down to a 50' span and replaced the section of the service line. .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I don't mind em.. I'll pick my battles.. I just didn't expect this one to be so bad

I was having my guy jim dig up the meter area for the first leak while I was tracing and accoustically listening.. we found the leak as it was entering the driveway to cross about 6' from the meter. It was awesomely funny to have my co-worker jim dig.

As you can see My 6' rockbar is 8-10" below grade.... This is where I found the line about 30' from the meter. Originally I was hoping the water line crossed the driveway and I could dig it up there- cut/cap to verify leak under driveway and replace. However the line turned in the middle of the roadway and followed the path of this 120' driveway..

Next step is to cut out the cement of where I think the leak is .. If it's not here the customer wants a full replacement.. With all the road rock it will probably cost 10k or so
if that hole were to give way and your helper were to be left dead, you will go to prison.

as lead man onsite, he is your responsability mitch.

shoring is mandatory for employees
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,625
Yeah, I understand what you are saying.

The pictures don't really justify the situation. I didn't put anyone in harms way.

The picture of where my co-worker is digging is actually at the water meter. As you can see it was pure rock and only 30" deep. From the meter to the first leak was about 5' . So we had a 3'x5'x30" hole that was mostly road rock.

The picture of where my rockbar is , is where I dug. This was 25' away from the water meter next to the driveway. The 6" perf drain pipe is at 4' . The reason it was underminded like that is because there was drain rock all around the piping. The picture I took is where I was actually digging from. I created a little seat for me so I didn't have to be all the way in the hole. I never saw the piping . I could only feel it with my rockbar

Jim.. any insight on this? After I repaired the first leak.
I would induce air into the piping ( The pipe would be full of water) at 15 psi. While using the acoustical directly on the pipe after 10 seconds I could hear the bubbling. After 20 seconds it was full on bubble. While using the accoustical on the driveway - my loudest point was 3' in. This is where I thought the second leak was. So for my last attempt I cut out the 3' of driveway. Only to find out the piping ( still at 32") began diving down with no leak. My only theory on why the loudest point was here was because it was the shallowest point from where the leak was actually at.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-16-2011, 02:12 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Yeah, I understand what you are saying.

The pictures don't really justify the situation. I didn't put anyone in harms way.

The picture of where my co-worker is digging is actually at the water meter. As you can see it was pure rock and only 30" deep. From the meter to the first leak was about 5' . So we had a 3'x5'x30" hole that was mostly road rock.

The picture of where my rockbar is , is where I dug. This was 25' away from the water meter next to the driveway. The 6" perf drain pipe is at 4' . The reason it was underminded like that is because there was drain rock all around the piping. The picture I took is where I was actually digging from. I created a little seat for me so I didn't have to be all the way in the hole. I never saw the piping . I could only feel it with my rockbar

Jim.. any insight on this? After I repaired the first leak.
I would induce air into the piping ( The pipe would be full of water) at 15 psi. While using the acoustical directly on the pipe after 10 seconds I could hear the bubbling. After 20 seconds it was full on bubble. While using the accoustical on the driveway - my loudest point was 3' in. This is where I thought the second leak was. So for my last attempt I cut out the 3' of driveway. Only to find out the piping ( still at 32") began diving down with no leak. My only theory on why the loudest point was here was because it was the shallowest point from where the leak was actually at.
i bring the shoring issue to attention as in 2000' i was involved in a trench collapse, i was in a 3' trench that was 5' wide, wall i was next to fell in on me and i still have a few physical issues as a result.

couple of thoughts, water should be purged from the pipe for the best results for one. if you can induce air from the lowest point of the system you will receive a better noise. if the compromise is large you won't get the high pitch squeal that you want to be hearing.

if the pipe is clear of water and the surrounding soil is saturated you will hear bubbles or unmistakable noises at the compromise. the larger the compromise the harder to hear, the smaller the better and the best is a pin hole or hairline crack. by allowing the pipe to be full or partially full of water you are actually slowing down the leak locating process.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-16-2011, 02:37 PM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
i bring the shoring issue to attention as in 2000' i was involved in a trench collapse, i was in a 3' trench that was 5' wide, wall i was next to fell in on me and i still have a few physical issues as a result.
Point well taken! I'm sorry that happened to you jim!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,569
I had one collapse on me as we were doing a sewer tap, scared the pucky out of me as I was 12' down when it let go I could sense the movement and climbed out up the ladder. No near-death experience, but I learned the hard way, as usual.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Boots its not too often. Specially now with the price of copper. I just traced a full copper line the other day tho with the 800. Dead on accuracy. Lotvof times its 2 to 5 feet of copper at the meter and at the house. Poly in the middle
Posted via Mobile Device
did you use the broadcast mode or direct connect and FE ground?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.12491 seconds with 8 queries