Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely Leaf Loader

Anyone ever use one of these? Comparing the 14 hp model with the 14 hp billy goat model. The billy goat has a 10 inch hose as opposed to the gravely that has an 8. Gravely is a good $500 cheaper.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

We run a gravely debris loader, 20 hp subaru, 12 inch intake, works very well if the leaves are not well, then it will jam, but try to get as much hp and diameter as possible, time is money.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

It's a Parker with the Gravely name. Thinner impeller blades, no replaceable housing liner, smaller housing, smaller hose to match the smaller housing, no debris reduction Piranha. The Billy Goat you're quoting is electric start as well.

The $500 price savings is nice but invariably you get only what you pay for. If low price is your interest you can get a Billy Goat DL1201L that better matches the hose size of the Parker/Gravely for $1,969 but has the debris reducing impeller and blades, replaceable liner and thicker blades.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Mr. Force for the info. I guess I am really just in between with the hp. I only do about 5 lawns. They do have a large amount of leaves. I will not be expanding as I only do this part time. What hp would you recommend as a good machine for my use? I don't want to spend over 3000.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Sponsor

For 5 lawns? Ask yourself what the gross income off of those leaf removal jobs will be, and subtract what you think will be your time, fuel, and disposal costs will be. Normally a debris loader will pay for itself within weeks because of the time and labor savings but only you know your numbers. On a fixed budget a DL1201L is a great way to go. If you're planning to grow and have the finds or can justify it going larger is recommended but only you know your situation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Good Points...
My dealer told me there was a 14 hp model with a subaru engine? What model number would that be?
I guess I really am in in between the 14 hp and the 18. I do like the 1201L but I'm just afraid that it won't have the power. All the recommendations I am reading say that the 13 hp units are a waste of money.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnuts View Post
Good Points...
My dealer told me there was a 14 hp model with a Subaru engine? What model number would that be?
I guess I really am in in between the 14 hp and the 18. I do like the 1201L but I'm just afraid that it won't have the power. All the recommendations I am reading say that the 13 hp units are a waste of money.

We still sell a good amount of those and if you owned one, on this website you probably wouldn't want to say it considering people poo-poo them so you're only hearing from one side. Like the larger ones, they're money makers if you've got the yards. Hell, the DL25 does the jobs the fastest but like with anything there's a cost-benefit analysis we all have to do before buying. Again, this is a decision only you can make.

The Subaru powered one is a DL1401SE (electric start). I carries a $2,640 list price. It does have all of the DL18 housing and features, short of the engine. The 18 hp pull start DL1801V has a list price of $3,250 and the electric start DL1801VE, electric start goes for $3,450. These are list prices and do not reflect promotions, discounts or surcharges that may or may not offered by respective dealers.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again! Sorry for all the questions. This will be my last I promise. I see that the defelctor kit that is located on the end of the exhaust is no longer listed as an option on the website. Is this something that is still available or has it been replaced with something else?