Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New product- Irritracker.com

www.irritracker.com

Below is a email response asking for more information on this product:

Our definition of map is two fold. Our form helps you create zone description “maps” from your phone or computer. The form includes information such as zone number, head type, plant material type, and zone location description. It also includes fields for customer name, address, phone number, controller location, and water source information.

Secondly, Irritracker allows you to upload ‘’as builds’’, hand drawn maps, or color shaded maps into the form as a file (ex: .jpg file). Although it works on your phone, in my opinion this function is more usable on a tablet pc (ex. Ipad, Toshiba Thrive, etc.)(Irritracker works on all these devices!!). The bigger screen size allows you to expand out and see more detail in the uploaded image.

Irritracker was created to work on your mobile phone out in the field. Therefore, the forms are designed to be simple, easy to read, and easily updated from your mobile device.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That looks pretty interesting. I've got a mega they want to have mapped next year after all the "as-bilts" were lost. Are you joining forces with Peter and becoming a REP?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No REPing for me. I stumbled across this site. Looks like a good program to load system information onto your phone. Easy access to detailed information in the palm of your hand. Maybe geared more toward commercial properties or megas and not so much the everyday <10 zone residential.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttering Stan View Post
www.irritracker.com

Below is a email response asking for more information on this product:

Our definition of map is two fold. Our form helps you create zone description “maps” from your phone or computer. The form includes information such as zone number, head type, plant material type, and zone location description. It also includes fields for customer name, address, phone number, controller location, and water source information.

Secondly, Irritracker allows you to upload ‘’as builds’’, hand drawn maps, or color shaded maps into the form as a file (ex: .jpg file). Although it works on your phone, in my opinion this function is more usable on a tablet pc (ex. Ipad, Toshiba Thrive, etc.)(Irritracker works on all these devices!!). The bigger screen size allows you to expand out and see more detail in the uploaded image.

Irritracker was created to work on your mobile phone out in the field. Therefore, the forms are designed to be simple, easy to read, and easily updated from your mobile device.

Why pay for something like this? Store your "maps" on your phone/netbook/notebook and/or get your own website and dump your stuff there.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's wrong with placing a laminated copy of the station list or map in the door if the controller? A couple of squares of Velcro and you're good to go. Last thing I need is my guys dicking around with a smart phone or tablet while they should be checking irrigation. Besides that all of my techs are assigned to their sites permanently so they know the sites already and what stations run each area of the site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want a useful new product ...... here is one.

http://www.rainsensors.com/
Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I am glad to see people trying to invent new things for irrigation. I was not able to see what the maps look like or the process of mapping on site. I wonder how well you can see the as-built on a small phone.

Things like this always seem to be cool at first, but I know better now to really think how we will implement into the company.

- Everyone will require a smart phone and they already fly through the flip phones we already provide them as it is with mud and water.

- It is another thing they need to be trained on and deal with service issues (software problems, phones problems etc.)

- Printing the scan is going to be a pain also. Do you buy 5 printers or 1 for all of them to share. Then who has the one or who broke the one and "I went to the job but I was out of stickers to print"

- We send the same techs to large commericals already. Sending a newbie to a big job with an as-built is not that much help.

Like I said, it is cool to see something new. All our techs have multiple remotes and an as-built for the majority of jobs is only good for the first few trips of a new property. By the time you add a smart phone with data plan for every tech, plus the software package every month you are looking at some serious money.

We already run Verizon Wireless netbooks for Hindsite and have cell phones for each tech and crew leader. Hindsite that saves office time and paper work and makes sure we are billing for the work we do. We are also in the business of billings service hours (I am not talking about screwing the customers) and it gets to a point where the costs of all this technology is just not realistic for irrigation techs. If we could bill $200.00 an hour it would be different and it is hard to find guys to show up every morning let alone learn these systems.

We just do not make enough per hour to justify all the new gadgets out there. Between normal tools, truck, fuel, Locator's, drills, remotes, meters, actuators and on and on......it seems to me it will end up being another thing the guys become to rely on and spend more time messing with it then working.

Good luck to them though!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A) I'm not big on the "Cloud" for a multitude of reasons so strike one.
B) I already own a laminator and it takes less than a minute to do so strike two
C) In this economy I don't need to be paying for anything else that I dont need to be especially when I can do the exact thing for next to nothing with an old fashioned binder and my computer! so strike three!

Sorry.... just my POV
Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm. interesting thread, for once. As I mentioned, my main "mega" wants to do a accurate as-built of all utilities (including my double Rainmaster 48 zoners) next year. They want it available, not only on a storage medium, but a paper copy in the largest scale possible. Since it's almost twenty acres, how would some of you go about mapping such a site?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there is some confusion here... from looking at their web site there is no "mapping" function in the literal sense. It's just the means to create a station list with a description. That's how I map a site. Physical description of the location of the zone usually something like this:

Station 1 - Turf, Rotors, East side of main driveway
Station 2 - Shrubs, Sprays, Shrub bed along west side of building

You get the picture.... I've mapped sites with 96 stations in this manner and had no problems with people understanding the legend. I just can't see spending between $30 and $240 PER MONTH for a service like this!