Register free!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Blower ban? You've got to be kidding!

Found in this morning PB Post. If they seriously consider it, I'd go raise hell at a councel meeting; you should too even if you don't work in PBC. If they can do it here, they'll do it everywhere.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/gr...f-1892431.html

Fight teenage stupidity, can't hear their music... GET A JOB and listen to your music after work!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

unbelievable..just nothing better for them to do
Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They effectively banned blowers in Newport beach, Cal this year. I hope this doesn't follow suit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They want to represent the "social conscience" those buttheads They claim the emissions are too high, they don't know that new generation blowers have cataclysmic () converters. They are also claiming that the blowers cause particulate matter to become airborne, like pollen & dust... much unlike the wind.

We, as a industry, need to be proactive in this. If were not, one day we'll wake up and won't be able to use blowers. I don't know about you guys, but using brooms is unappealing.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

jeez...college students these days. I only cared about 2 things when I was in college and neither was related to noise pollution.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If these guys get out of college I wish the following for them.

The stay in the community........get a job that does not pay them much but does require them to work long hours for their salary.......such long hours that they can not possible care for their own property.

Then I hope the person that cuts their lawn charges them $120 a cut for their 3k lot because they have to sit out in the heat and sweep up there lawn clippings.

Seriously - I am with Eric E on this....I had much more important things on my mind when I was in college and the lawn guy and his tools were not anywhere in that equation!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I propose a ban on college students.... they are always partying, drinking, laughing, I can't hear the crickets at night!..... I say ban college students!!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wait here's more;

Exerts from the Sun Sentinel:

While commissioners complimented the students on their research and marveled at the story getting on CNN, they politely blew off any possibility of a ban.
"I don't think we need to interfere in the business of landscapers," Commissioner Priscilla Taylor said.

While Bachelder said she heard a "no" from the commission Tuesday, she expects change to come eventually. Key West and other cities already are considering bans or other limits on leaf blowers, she said.

As more people learn about the health and environmental concerns, Bachelder expects governments to reconsider allowing them.
"I think it's just a matter of time," Bachelder said.

For the full story follow the link;

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...,1396874.story
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if people would use the blowers responsibly we wouldnt be having this thread...unless its wet you dont need to run them at w.o.t. also there seems to always be an inconsiderate lco that insists on doing residentials at 7am...i find it very inconsiderate....and keeping the blowers maintained (mainly new mufflers once in a while will help keep them more quiet) we are in our 25th yr. with three crews...and we have never started a blower in a residential area before 830 am.....commercial areas are a different story....
Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many yeas ago when Big Speakers in Cars was the Fad and all the Wannabe popular kids has them, Our county passed a noise ordinance. It was done quick and without any due diligence. At the same time is was directed at one problem or issue with Kids driving all over town with screaming car speakers. The ordinance is still on the books and could be used as a Blowers Ban. But that law is pretty much been forgotten now because it cured the problem at the time.

The problem with all laws and a point made by Ken Burns documentary about Prohibition. Laws are only as good as they are accepted and enforced. The Tree Hugger have passed a ton of Laws about fertilizer application that Home owner and Pro alike ignore. It is hard to enforce laws that no one respects.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.