Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

draingage question

I have a customer that just installed a new lawn and needs to install some popup drains coming off of the gutters which runs about 20 feet or under a sidewalk then just empties into the yard. The drain is getting plugged, so they want to install a pop up. They just had the lawn installed so if they can avaoid it they would rater than trench through the yard. Would they be able to put an elbow off of the pipe and run the popup another 4 or 5" higher or will it not work?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
I have a customer that just installed a new lawn and needs to install some popup drains coming off of the gutters which runs about 20 feet or under a sidewalk then just empties into the yard. The drain is getting plugged, so they want to install a pop up. They just had the lawn installed so if they can avaoid it they would rater than trench through the yard. Would they be able to put an elbow off of the pipe and run the popup another 4 or 5" higher or will it not work?
You should have no problems with that.

Two keys you need to consider though. If you put a larger elbow to get upwards, then you'll need to make sure that where the downspout goes into the pipe, that it will need to be at least 10 inches higher than the exit point. This will ensure that there will be enough water pressure in the pipe to push out any debris that might get stuck in the pop-up during a storm.

The other thing to consider is that you'll be holding a lot of water in the pipe after a storm if you go higher. So you'll need to add extra holes in the pipe to allow it to weep out after a storm and drain off completely.

If the sub-grade is a hard-pan, then you might want to consider digging a good hole under the pipe, line it with fabric, and fill it with clean gravel and cover it over before installing the pipe. This will ensure that the pipe will weep out effectively to keep it from freezing up in the winter.

When I need to go higher with a pop-up, I sometimes just use a union and short section of pipe to get it where I need to. Sometimes it's not very much and I need to cut the union shorter to get to where I need it. Then I just put the pop-up cap on the union.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.