Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Little Wonder Vacuum Rental

They don't make it easy.....can anyone tell me where I can rent a LW vacuum near Lincoln or Omaha? I'd like to try one before purchasing. Or maybe a dealer location? I know they have a finder on their web site. Looking for first hand information from folks like you. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You talking about a yard vac?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2015, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes - specifically the Little Wonder lawn vacuum. I have acorns. Far too many to rake.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know about the Little Wonder but will say DO NOT purchase the Gravely yard vac. It will not pick up small oak leaves or acorns. Total waste of my money and I am a huge fan of Gravely.

I would be leary about purchasing any yard vac for acorns.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I don't know about the Little Wonder but will say DO NOT purchase the Gravely yard vac. It will not pick up small oak leaves or acorns. Total waste of my money and I am a huge fan of Gravely.

I would be leary about purchasing any yard vac for acorns.
I tried out a billy goat first and..what a waste of money. The hose had 3 holes in it in the first 30 mins..paper thin. It didn't have a very strong pull and didn't reduce the debri. The entire machine was either plastic or thin.metal and cost $1800!! It was like a toy.. I ended up buying a little wonder and..what a difference!! It actually cost $300 less. The machine was all metal and reduces the clippings 12:1. The vacuum is so strong it will suck itself down to the concrete or stick to your pants leg. I've sucked up juniper clippings as big as your pinky. It will grind down the clippings and pack the bag up to 100lbs..machine will sit down on the bag.. I bought the hose kit and that makes it priceless. I suck up shrubbery clippings and it does great with that. The hose is 3 times thicker than a bg. As far as acorns..I guarantee it will pick them up. In my opinion..it's the only one on the market that does what it should. I actually bought my second one off of craigslist for $275 with only 2 seasons on it..they cost $1500 new.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yard vacuums don't do a good job. You will be covered in a fine dust and inhaling it too. Acorns and gumballs usually don't get sucked up well and sometimes they jam the impeller and shear the woodruff key. If it's not a self propelled model you will be cursing it in short order. I'm glad I rented one before I bought one. A rake and proper pricing are a far better alternative.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2015, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Yard vacuums don't do a good job. You will be covered in a fine dust and inhaling it too. Acorns and gumballs usually don't get sucked up well and sometimes they jam the impeller and shear the woodruff key. If it's not a self propelled model you will be cursing it in short order. I'm glad I rented one before I bought one. A rake and proper pricing are a far better alternative.
Posted via Mobile Device
After owning 2..I don't agree at all. With other brands that may be true but not lw. I'm guessing you've never used a lw. Dust is part of it..same with a mower unless you've found a mower that doesn't kick up dust..if so I'll buy one. I wear a dust mask all the time anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
After owning 2..I don't agree at all. With other brands that may be true but not lw. I'm guessing you've never used a lw. Dust is part of it..same with a mower unless you've found a mower that doesn't kick up dust..if so I'll buy one. I wear a dust mask all the time anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was agreeing with the BG comment. I rented one and tried out one from a different company, I think it was a Land Shark. I've repaired dozens from LW'S to the cheap Craftsman. None really worked well, broke easily and cost more than what they should. I'll say the LW was constructed the best. The dust issues are what i call excessive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2015, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I was agreeing with the BG comment. I rented one and tried out one from a different company, I think it was a Land Shark. I've repaired dozens from LW'S to the cheap Craftsman. None really worked well, broke easily and cost more than what they should. I'll say the LW was constructed the best. The dust issues are what i call excessive.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never had one prob with either of my machines. I maintain a retirement community with about 3000 shrubs..some I trim 7 times in a year..and I vacuum all clippings with the lw. I couldn't even handle that contract without it. It completely replaces a worker and savese tons of money and headache.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2015, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
I've never had one prob with either of my machines. I maintain a retirement community with about 3000 shrubs..some I trim 7 times in a year..and I vacuum all clippings with the lw. I couldn't even handle that contract without it. It completely replaces a worker and savese tons of money and headache.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reading your post, I hope you are sincere. I'm honestly about ready to drop the ball and buy a little wonder. I messed up and picked up the Billy Goat, not for the intentions of leaves, but just hedge clippings. It is worthless for that. The smallest hedge twig jams up in the tube. Is the LW hose wider in diameter to where it doesn't jam on shrub trimmings? The only thing I've found the billy goat good for is over-grown lawns, blowing the excess clippings into the street and vacuuming them up.