Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you have plenty of money in the bank to last you at least 5 years in monthly bills. You can thank me later.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I agree. All these people try to equate their love of mowing their own yard with doing it for a living. Let me tell you, I used like mowing myard back in the day. Now it is the last thing I want to do. I just banged out 27 yards the last two days and I still have to work tomorrow. After I get home tomorrow I have to mow my own 2 acre yard. If I could find someone to do it I would. The enjoyment of mowing my own yard ended long ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree too. I think all these people lI've the idea bc it's a low start up cost and they think it is going to be so easy. It takes a long time to have a successful business, especially this one. If all you are gong to do is mow, I think you are going to have a rude awakening. Do yourself a favor and keep your job. This business isn't for everyone. Most are in it for the money and a lot trick themselves into believing they love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sell your plasma instead.

This business will suck out your soul and make you hate every person you see with a beat up Toyota Tacoma pulling a janked up trailer around town because you realize they're your competition and that they don't bother to have insurance or a DBA so they're able to undercut you and steal the food out of your children's mouths.

What's worse is that your potential customers don't give a crap if your competition has insurance or not. They'll choose a $3200 bid from a company without insurance before they choose your $3500 bid from a legitimate company.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post
Sell your plasma instead.

This business will suck out your soul and make you hate every person you see with a beat up Toyota Tacoma pulling a janked up trailer around town because you realize they're your competition and that they don't bother to have insurance or a DBA so they're able to undercut you and steal the food out of your children's mouths.

What's worse is that your potential customers don't give a crap if your competition has insurance or not. They'll choose a $3200 bid from a company without insurance before they choose your $3500 bid from a legitimate company.
Testify brother testify.

I'll be heading out in a little bit and I will pass by at least 15 LCO's in a 5 minute time frame and most of them are illegals or illegal businesses.

Got to love it.

Dave...
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I agree. All these people try to equate their love of mowing their own yard with doing it for a living. Let me tell you, I used like mowing myard back in the day. Now it is the last thing I want to do. I just banged out 27 yards the last two days and I still have to work tomorrow. After I get home tomorrow I have to mow my own 2 acre yard. If I could find someone to do it I would. The enjoyment of mowing my own yard ended long ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I don't cut my own either. I'm looking into being a banker. I love to count money and I know how to write checks. I'm am so tired of riding around all day on a mower. Trimming this, blowing off that. Hiding flowers that I accidently cut. LOAN APPROVED!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

So I guess nobody new is allowed in your club? It's an impossible job that only a few can do?
OK then, did not know that, carry on.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero419 View Post
So I guess nobody new is allowed in your club? It's an impossible job that only a few can do?
OK then, did not know that, carry on.
No, you're welcomed to join the club. We're all just trying to tell you that it's not as easy/fun/simple as cutting grass and getting a nice tan.

New customers will not just roll in begging to pay you top dollar for your services. You will have to practically beg people to let you work for them, then some jamook will come behind you and get the job because he bid $100 less than you because he didn't bother to get insurance, a uniform, etc.

Look, this is a hard ass business and if I had to make the decision all over again, I would not be doing this. It's an industry dominated by drunks and illegals.

Do you and your wife a favor and consider looooooong and hard before you decide to come down this path.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as Hero419, I have a full time job and make a very good living, and I to am looking to start a lawncare business part time. My goal first year is 12-15 lawns and I fully expect to work hard as hell and make no money for at least the first couple years as any profits would go right back into the business. I have limited experience in lawncare other than working for a lawncare service company many years ago when I was a kid, but my question is, how much experience did all of you have?? Are you saying that mowing, blowing, trimming, mulching and clean up for my customers will be vastly different from my yard? Sure I'm going to make mistakes as I'm sure each and everyone of you did, but hopefully I will learn from them and move on.
Was lawncare my first choice of businesses, no I'd rather own a chain of McDonald's but if I had the start up money for that, I'd probably just retire. The start up costs for a lawncare business is fairly low and yes, I think it is something I can learn on the job. (If Mexicans can do it, right??)
My goal is to see if this is a business that I can grow into something. And yes, I do currently like cutting my yard and hopefully I will continue after I start my business, but if not, that's what my kids are for!
My goal will be to pick and choose the customers I want since I'm looking for only 15, but if I do come across one of you and I underbid you by $3.00 - $5.00 on a residential lawn, I will service the hell out of it! Because if they left you for $3-$5 I will have to make sure they wouldn't leave me for that small amount. How? I will provide excellent service along with developing a relationship with my customers, so they see the added value I bring and they turn away the next guy who under bids me by that much. I'm sure you're thinking, "He has no clue, I currently provide great service and have a good relationship with my customers" but it's just not true. If you did, no way would they leave you for that much difference. (I'm basing this on a $35 - $40 customer)
If you're losing business for that much, maybe it's you who should look to do something else, and let us new guys try it for awhile!

Look, truth be told, I may post at the end of next year and tell all of you I'm throwing in the towel, I can't make the business work, but at least I can say I tried. Or, maybe, just maybe I post that my 1st year in business was an awesome experience and all indications are I will meet my 5 year goal in growth!
You know, I have no idea what I'll post, but if I don't try I'll never know!
I mean if Mexicans are doing it, how hard can it be?

Your friend,
Juan Valdez